Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising is getting more & more difficult these days

• 14-05-2012 1:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Years ago it you got a mention in the Sunday bulletin for some upcoming event that was the advertising sorted.
    With dwindling mass attendances that route seems to have dried up.
    Online seems good but it's costly & no point if you're only promoting a local event.
    I've paid for advertising in local papers where it just seems to get lost in amongst the other 20 ads as people turn the page.
    I spent 3 years in my youth delivering flyers door to door & they used estimate a 2% uptake in interest due to this method but it costs a lot for printing & delivery.
    Temporary signage like election posters seem to be a grey area & you could get fined €150 a poster for littering.
    Radio & TV are also out due to the costs.

Irish startup companies don't have huge advertising budgets so what they spend they must spend wisely.
    Where would you place all your chips for a localised event ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Years ago it you got a mention in the Sunday bulletin for some upcoming event that was the advertising sorted.
    Online seems good but it's costly & no point if you're only promoting a local event.
    I've paid for advertising in local papers where it just seems to get lost in amongst the other 20 ads as people turn the page.
    I spent 3 years in my youth delivering flyers door to door & they used estimate a 2% uptake in interest due to this method but it costs a lot for printing & delivery.
    Temporary signage like election posters seem to be a grey area & you could get fined €150 a poster for littering.

Irish startup companies don't have huge advertising budgets so what they spend they must spend wisely.
    social media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Local event... local advertising.

use facebook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

In one giant basket, safest option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Well, you need an online presence on facebook, twitter, and all those types of things. Get some people in who are interested, and have it build up in that way for a starter.

If none of the above works, blast something with piss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

smash wrote: »
    Local event... local advertising.

use facebook too.
    social media

I've never even had a bebo account, might be time to change.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know guy named Don Draper.

Look him up, he's good.

Failing that, social media is the easiest way to advertise nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Social Media & SEO

Forget print unless it's continued promotion of an existing and well known brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you're kidding right? facebook and twitter have made it easier than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

sandwich boards ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

local event - not much to say really...sign up to FB or maybe something in the local paper or radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we get enough junk mail/spam emails already. stick with the paper or radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've never even had a bebo account, might be time to change.
    Thanks.

If you are doing local events then you gotta get onto social sites. Entire local industries now exist solely using this to advertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Local events? Put up posters in the area, a half decent one that wasn't made in publisher using clipart. You can do facebook and the like but you'll have every other ejit saying they'll be there but no one will show up. Could get a bit of talk going about it I just wouldn't rely on it.

Local radio is a good one but you'll mostly be hitting older folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Complimentary scotch eggs always help.

It's a scotch egg based event I presume.

Hmmm.... I'd love a scotch egg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Complimentary scotch eggs always help.

It's a scotch egg based event I presume.

Hmmm.... I'd love a scotch egg.

There might be scotch eggs, it's a kids fete day to raise money for tidy towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Holy sh*t - I'm a psychic!

If it's a local event I'd send locals door to door to guilt people into going. Send someone who knows everyone and have them tell each person individually so all those people think that they'll be talked about if they don't go. The same way politicians go about getting elected.

People do still want to go out they just need an excuse these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Print up flyers have them handed out in the schools.....pester power ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Print up flyers have them handed out in the schools.....pester power ;)

could the op just glue a flyer on to each of your hairs and pay you to walk around like a flyer dispenser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Posters in local shop windows, tell all the local busy-bodies and set up a facebook page.

Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A plane with a banner hanging behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You should make a person dress up as a giant chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

livinsane wrote: »
    You should make a person dress up as a giant chicken.
    A person? I thought those giant chickens really were chickens. You've shattered my dreams you bastard :O

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

You can advertise locally online as well.

dpe wrote: »
    You can advertise locally online as well.
    You can to a certain extent but people tend to ignore online advertising as easily if not more easily than they ignore real world advertising. It's harder to target a general audience in a small area of Ireland, you'd have to have a good idea what websites they're using and then wait for the tiny trickle of people that will cross the site and hope the ad jumps out at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A hostage situation culminating in a shoot-out is the way forward. The only problem is getting the banner in the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I missed the 'local' bit in your OP but definitely start a FB page and 'like' and comment on local business' in the area asking for their support, e.g. 'like and share this page for tidy towns in our community', etc. Also approach local newspapers, circulars, local radio stations, etc and ask them to announce for free or a nominal fee, it's for the community after all and good for local business / tourism, etc. Make signs and put them up in local shops, pubs, churches, etc.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can to a certain extent but people tend to ignore online advertising as easily if not more easily than they ignore real world advertising. It's harder to target a general audience in a small area of Ireland, you'd have to have a good idea what websites they're using and then wait for the tiny trickle of people that will cross the site and hope the ad jumps out at them.

Depends how you do it and what you're advertising. PPC campaigns are performance based so you're much more targeted and you can do some nice targeted stuff with Google maps as well. You don't need to waste money on banners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hire a marketing manager. Don't have any money? Jobs bridge!!

• Advertisement

dpe wrote: »
    Depends how you do it and what you're advertising. PPC campaigns are performance based so you're much more targeted and you can do some nice targeted stuff with Google maps as well. You don't need to waste money on banners.
    You could be waiting months to meet your PPC budget by targeting such a small local though and working out what sites to target could take just as long. If your event happens before you met your PPC budget your essential throwing money down the drain continuing to show those ads.

I'd agree more with you if time wasn't a constraint and the OP was just selling a product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Advertise on boards :) ...who said that?:p

Advertisement