Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card Payment protection Plan

Options
  • 14-05-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I recently received a letter from AIB notifying me of changes to a Payment Protection Plan on my Visa card.
    I've had the Visa card since around 1997, but I don't ever remember signing up to an optional policy, and it's not something I would generally opt for.

To be honest, I've never really scrutinised my Visa bills before now, and the payments related to this plan I've always assumed were just part of the card payments.
    I feel a bit of a mug having not noticed it before, and certainly because I don't believe it's something I would sign up for.
    If this policy is optional, is there a way to challenge it having been applied to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

i suppose you could ask them for proof that your signed up to it. If they cant come up with it then you might have a case of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Very unlikely you could prove you were mis-sold it. Inattentativeness alone is not a reason enough for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'm not quite sure.

I think AIB are writing to everybody who has it on their card, letting them know so they can cancel it if they want. With regards refunds, I think they have already identified those who were accidentally charged for it. If they are not identifying you as a "refundee", then I assume they are satisfied that you did ask for it. So no problem cancelling it now, but unlikely to get a refund.

Add to that, 15 years is a long time to not notice that you are paying for insurance! Do you use your card a lot? What does it appear as on your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Contact them and see what they have on file for u might be too long ago but u never know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

cookie1977 wrote: »
    i suppose you could ask them for proof that your signed up to it. If they cant come up with it then you might have a case of fraud.

They do not need to keep documentation past 6 years. 15 years on very unlikely they will have documentation. This does not mean it is fraud or missold.

OP, ask the bank if they have original documentation to see if you got it. But as mentioned they may not be able to provide but this doesnt mean much itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

As far as I remember, AIB used to have two separate signature boxes, one for accepting PPI, one for refusing it. It wasn't as simple as a tick. This was around 2000 / 2001 so the chances of them applying it automatically are slim.

If I were you, I would request the money back and see what happens. Have you any idea how much it is? On UK bank and credit card accounts, all PPI premiums are refunded just for asking and I am sure AIB are doing this for their AIB, First Trust and Saga customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭timmy79

I got off the phone with AIB yesterday,

requested my Credit Agreement signed by me.

got a refund to my card of €128 2 weeks ago & the PPI was cancelled in 09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

U kind of need proof from your credit agreement whether u signed for it or not
    Aib won't refund if u ask for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement