Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filed to get in to second year here. Where to transfer?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Failed* (..no wonder)

So I did first year arts in hope of getting a place in second year psychology, but I messed that up with the whole 'having to pass everything in the first sitting', so now have no option but to transfer to somewhere else to continue this degree.

Does anyone know of any other colleges in the EU like napier, with the same fee's and similar course as here, where I can continue with the psychology, where I'm finishing here? as in, get a place in second year psych. (be it arts, or whatever).

I have no idea how these entry requirements work elsewhere. :S

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

For UK universities you have to apply though UCAS. Its a bit like the CAO system. When I went to Napier it was though clearing - the process whereby you phone up after you've balls up your A-Levels. That said I'd already applied though UCAS.

A note on Scottish Unis and fees - there can be residency requirements. IIRC it was 3 years in Scotland prior to application. Even as an English student I was paying different fees to Scottish students. That may be different again if there is some EU requirement. I guess thats a very long way round of saying make sure you check it out throughly as UK unis are very expensive compared to Irish ones.

Not to put too fine a point on it but if you didn't make the basic requirements are you maybe on the wrong course / at the wrong stage in life to be doing this? It's taken me until now (my 30's) to figure myself out - I had a excellent career prior to coming back to education and am better off for it. Just something to think about before you commit thousands to moving, living and studying in the UK.

EDIT: I was just looking at Oxford Brookes as thats where my best mate got her degree. ABB or 390 on the leaving cert - its a very competative subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

jesus christ lawstudent are you able to read?

the original poster is an Arts student, who wants to gain entry into 2nd year psychology, but doesn't meet the requirements as psychology is highly sought after within arts degrees.

Tbh I'm not much help either, I don't think you'll find any english speaking university that will let you slip into 2nd year of their degree, especially as you are yet to pass first arts.

I'd say your best bet is to do another subject in arts and pursue psychology postgrad.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

Yeah, I thought that slipping is a bit unrealistic alright, considering the places for psychology are probably of similar competition everywhere..

Damn, this sucks.
    Thanks for the reply !

A friend of mine at A-level ended up doing a year of Sociology and slipped in that way. He did show a bit of aptitude for it and made friends with tutors etc. The option might be to do something related with lower entry reqs. I know its a very different course but I have some experience of people having a very nice academic career with it.

Good luck OP hope you get what you want.

Well I messed up on a christmas exam because there was a crappy rule a lot of people didn't know about. Even some tutors and lecturers thought it was the old system. :S
    Pretty dodgy.
    Thanks :) I'll check out that college, hopefully there'l be a course of similar structure.
    Although I'm pretty sure I've already missed the UCAS deadline by now. One big mess..

• Advertisement

Well I messed up on a christmas exam because there was a crappy rule a lot of people didn't know about. Even some tutors and lecturers thought it was the old system. :S
    Pretty dodgy.
    Thanks :) I'll check out that college, hopefully there'l be a course of similar structure.
    Although I'm pretty sure I've already missed the UCAS deadline by now. One big mess..

Have to appealed or spoken to your tutors or exams office?

I haven't appealed. There doesn't seem much point, because of the demand for psychology. There are 115 places out of 700 available. That's why the rule about passing everything on the first sitting is there. So, I haven't a chance at all. I've sent some mails hoping someone can tell me if it's possible to transfer or not, but still awaiting word back..

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/psychology-and-counselling/index.htm

Would be one option. OU is expensive though and very much reliant on you being a self starter. You can probably transfer your first year credits.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/psychology-and-counselling/index.htm

Would be one option. OU is expensive though and very much reliant on you being a self starter. You can probably transfer your first year credits.

I guess any option of continuing where I am now will most likely be the more expensive ones. :S

Thanks a lot for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Are you doing this arts degree in NUIG? If so they do offer a two year postgrad and I reckon that's your most inexpensive step. I'm quite worried now because getting in the top 115 in NUIG arts is my plan (I'm starting first year in September :)) do you mind asking what happened that stopped you persuing psych?

• Advertisement
Advertisement