Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant based protein low in fibre?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Folks,

I lift weights 3/4 times a week and hence need a lot of protein (I'm 183cm and 83kg). I have reduced my consumption of animal based protein substantially about a month ago. So far I've cut out all red meat, all whey protein and out of my 6 meals in the day only 2 now contain animal based protein (fish, eggs or chicken). For my plant protein I'm consuming a lot of muesli, raw hemp protein powders, sun warriors raw vegan brown rice protein powder, spinach, oats, soya milk, lentils, chickpeas etc. However, at the moment I'm being killed internally due to the high fibre intake which I'm suprised by as I've always been a big muesli eater but the hemp is high in fiber as are the legumes etc. Anyone recommend any low fiber plant based protein apart from soya as I feel I'm taking in enough of this already (circa a litre a day of soya milk).

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Skr4wny wrote: »
    Folks,

I lift weights 3/4 times a week and hence need a lot of protein (I'm 183cm and 83kg). I have reduced my consumption of animal based protein substantially about a month ago. So far I've cut out all red meat, all whey protein and out of my 6 meals in the day only 2 now contain animal based protein (fish, eggs or chicken). For my plant protein I'm consuming a lot of muesli, raw hemp protein powders, sun warriors raw vegan brown rice protein powder, spinach, oats, soya milk, lentils, chickpeas etc. However, at the moment I'm being killed internally due to the high fibre intake which I'm suprised by as I've always been a big muesli eater but the hemp is high in fiber as are the legumes etc. Anyone recommend any low fiber plant based protein apart from soya as I feel I'm taking in enough of this already (circa a litre a day of soya milk).

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Why not try the hemp protein as a seed in it's natural shelled state and not in a powder, along with almonds and pea protein powder. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables, salads and avocados which are bursting with vitamins and what a lot of people don't know is that avocados have 18 amino acids. Not to mention really good fats and oils. The best soy products to eat are those that are naturally fermented like tofu, tempeh, miso. I'm not the hugest fan of soy milk which can be rich in anti-nutrients (phytates) which can bind to minerals your body needs, like zinc which is essential for the synthesis and metabolism of proteins. (fermented soy products have much less of these anti-nutrients). Just ensure you are getting all amino acids required with enough protein for your body weight. Hope this helps. Also when increasing fibre in your diet you really need to up the water intake also! Cooking legumes in kombu is said to help aid digestion and different spices. If boiling dried legumes that have been soaked, change the water during cooking and skim off any frothy bits on the top, that helps too. This is a really good link for advice in cooking and eating legumes http://www.mapi.com/ayurveda_health_care/newsletters/beans_&_dahls.html Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Quorn

Are you sure it's fibre causing your discomfort? If you mean you have bad wind then that would make sense... but if it's something else I'd wonder if it's being caused by something else.

Is the amino acid profile of brown rice good enough to make it a good supplement?

Without wanting to derail the thread (the subject has caused a level of controversy here imo), some sources indicate that maybe 5% of people are allergic to Quorn, so maybe try one portion and make sure it agrees with you before eating lots and lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

Why not try the hemp protein as a seed in it's natural shelled state and not in a powder, along with almonds and pea protein powder. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables, salads and avocados which are bursting with vitamins and what a lot of people don't know is that avocados have 18 amino acids. Not to mention really good fats and oils. The best soy products to eat are those that are naturally fermented like tofu, tempeh, miso. I'm not the hugest fan of soy milk which can be rich in anti-nutrients (phytates) which can bind to minerals your body needs, like zinc which is essential for the synthesis and metabolism of proteins. (fermented soy products have much less of these anti-nutrients). Just ensure you are getting all amino acids required with enough protein for your body weight. Hope this helps. Also when increasing fibre in your diet you really need to up the water intake also! Cooking legumes in kombu is said to help aid digestion and different spices. If boiling dried legumes that have been soaked, change the water during cooking and skim off any frothy bits on the top, that helps too. This is a really good link for advice in cooking and eating legumes http://www.mapi.com/ayurveda_health_care/newsletters/beans_&_dahls.html Dee

Some great tips there, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've had the Linwoods shelled hemps seeds before and I was putting them in my muesli but now I'm putting in their flaxseed with punpkin and sunflower seeds. I find it easier to have some shakes as I'm eating so much I get tired of eating, hence the hemp powder, but it's milled seeds and it's raw.

The pea protein I tried before and I don't like it because it's isolate so probably treated at really high temperatures but almonds I have just started researching yesterday when I first read your post. Google likes almonds, good nuts for health :) and it appears you can get almond butter which I'm going to procure over the weekend hopefully.

Good tip on the soya milk, was not aware of this. Tofu I need to invest in also, and do you know where I can get tempeh in Dublin, I presume some of the Asian stores?

Nice link btw, interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

Quorn

Are you sure it's fibre causing your discomfort? If you mean you have bad wind then that would make sense... but if it's something else I'd wonder if it's being caused by something else.

Is the amino acid profile of brown rice good enough to make it a good supplement?

Without wanting to derail the thread (the subject has caused a level of controversy here imo), some sources indicate that maybe 5% of people are allergic to Quorn, so maybe try one portion and make sure it agrees with you before eating lots and lots.

Just gas hombre. No interest in Quorn.

In relation to the brown rice, below is from the Sunwarrior site.

What makes Sunwarrior Protein so Awesome?

Most vegetable and rice proteins on the market today use a chemical non-wholistic process that makes for a hard to digest un-natural protein, lacking in essential and non-essential amino acids (in particular Lysine).
    By using a unique natural wholistic bio-fermentation process and by combining the sprouted endosperm and the bran from raw sprouted whole grain brown rice, Sunwarrior has conquered this challenge.
    The result of this amazing process is a massive increase in Lysine and essential and non-essential amino acids forming a perfectly balanced amino acid profile.
    At 80% pure protein, Sunwarrior has created the highest and first raw complete vegan, hypo-allergenic superfood protein on the market.
    Not only does it taste superb but it blends exceptionally well and is easy to digest. In fact our protein is so easy to assimilate that it has 98% correlation rate to mother’s milk and a 98.2% digestion efficiency rating making it one of the highest digestibility and efficiency ratings of any other protein source.

Advertisement