Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pollutes the Liffey ?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Was just talking to a mate about this last night. I used to live up by Islandbridge and by and large the river seems quite clean up that way.

But once you get to Hueston it becomes muddy and dirty. So is there someone pumping pollutants into the river at this point ? Or what explains the difference ? Also when was the last time it was dredged ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The river is tidal until after Huston, the sediment will therefore be disturbed daily by the tide etc. There is also the runnoff from the city and other smaller tributaries lower down which will add to the overall pollution level.

Dredging is only of use to boats/shipping and the Liffey has long since ceased this function past the dockland area. Further down is being dredged currently however.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I'm lucky enough to work overlooking the liffey at Grattan Bridge, and I think that the water quality is typically very good here, except after heavy rain, when it's gets brown and muddy, but that's to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

A happy random fact:

Dublin is the only European capital city that has (once again) salmon in its rivers, with salmon now present in all three main rivers - the Liffey, Dodder, and Tolka :)

Btw I'd agree with tabnabs assessment, re tidal affect and also the Poddle and Bradogue flowing into the Liffey, carrying pollutants.

Advertisement