Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote your favourite of the saga, & tell us why...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Episode 6 - Return Of The Jedi
    EnterNow wrote: »
    If it was solely his baby, then yes. But it wasn't, so its hard to credit Lucas for the brilliant work done by others.
    Well that's your parameters. I think mine and most peoples would be to accept that he played a vital role in the Indy series and should be recognised for it.
    Also regards Lucas not directing ESB & RoTJ, I was aware of that :)

Everyone on this board is aware of it I reckon (or I would hope!). :) I'm just using it to show that you can't take credit away from Lucas for Indy for non-directing without doing the same for the OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Episode 4 - A New Hope
    al28283 wrote: »
    You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!

Good use of a great line but Episode 3 is a good choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
    A bland wooden cgi fest? No thanks, thankfully he's fiished with them now so we'll never have to suffer that. Besides, aside from the original trilogy, what has Lucas done that was actually any good?

THX-1138 is really good, American Graffiti is really good, The Indiana Jones trilogy is brilliant, Howard the Duck is...:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

THX-1138 is really good

Nah didn't like it.
    American Graffiti is really good

Havn't seen it, by all accounts it is good so granted that.
    The Indiana Jones trilogy is brilliant

Agreed, but its a collaboration & can't be fully attributed to Lucas
    Howard the Duck is...:pac::pac:

Meh :)

There's been nothing of note from him in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
    Nah didn't like it.

Havn't seen it, by all accounts it is good so granted that.

Agreed, but its a collaboration & can't be fully attributed to Lucas

Meh :)

There's been nothing of note from him in a long, long time.

I think ROTS will stand the test of time. I watched it again last week and the last hour or so is simply stunning. It's like he found the heart of Star Wars again.

I have heard him going on about making films that are "small in scope, esoteric in subject and screened mostly in art houses", like THX presumably. He's not getting any younger though.

I think ROTS will stand the test of time. I watched it again last week and the last hour or so is simply stunning. It's like he found the heart of Star Wars again.

I have heard him going on about making films that are "small in scope, esoteric in subject and screened mostly in art houses", like THX presumably. He's not getting any younger though.

RoTS is an exception for sure, while for most it couldn't redeem the prequel trilogy, I found it utterly brilliant from start to finish. I know I'm being a bit harsh on Lucas with my comments, I suppose it's only born out of frustration because he is capable of putting out stuff thats out of this world...I just expect it from him all the time really when I prob shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Looking forward to seeing what Adywan does with Empire Revisited.

Star Wars Revisited was what the Special Editions should have been and then left at that.

Seph503 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what Adywan does with Empire Revisited.

Star Wars Revisited was what the Special Editions should have been and then left at that.

Forgive my newbish ignorance, but what are these revisited versions you mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Clone Wars {Film & Series}
    Return of the jedi, absolutly adore it!
    Saw it for the first time when I was 10 when they were reshowing it in the cinemas then, everything about it is awesome imho!
    The E Woks, the story continuation, the morals, the ending, everything :)

• Advertisement

Forgive my newbish ignorance, but what are these revisited versions you mentioned?

Adywan (can't remember his real name) set out to basically "remaster" the original trilogy.

He started with "Star Wars: Revisited". Here's a link to a list of the enhancements he's made. http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

There are similar articles for proposed changes to ESB and RotJ

Generally speaking he does a colour correction (think general colour contrast, lightsaber colours, engine colours, Vader's eyes, etc), fixes a few editing errors, restores original version scenes (Han Vs Greedo), removes unnecessary Special Edition footage and makes minor tweaks to some things. My favourite tweaks are adding small facial expressions to the aliens in Mos Eisley cantina, adding a planet to the background of the Death Star before it becomes fully operational, a new display for the Death Star Trench Tutorial and an improved war room display during the Battle of Yavin.

I really enjoyed watch ANH in this edit. ESB is taking a long time but I've no doubt it'll be worth the wait. Some of the tweaks to the Hoth Battle and escape look great.

Definitely worth a look for any Star Wars fan IMO.

Sounds really good, given the film is obviously copywritten, I take it the only place to acquire this version of it is by nefarious interwebbage means?

Sounds really good, given the film is obviously copywritten, I take it the only place to acquire this version of it is by nefarious interwebbage means?

;)

Seph503 wrote: »
    ;)

The wink conveys all I needed to know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

You are in for a treat. The work Adywan has done on A New Hope is nothing short of amazing. There are other Faneditors as well that have done spectacular work with the prequels. Originaltrilogy.com and Fanedit.org are the places to go. Both are legal sites as they don't contain download links, only information.

If anyone wants any info pm me, as long as you own the originals obv.

Here's a clip of what he's done with the Hoth Escape for anyone who's interested to see the type of work he does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QqJE9L9USE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Say what you will about George Lucas (he may be misguided at times), but I genuinely think that he really believes everything he does is for the greater good, even though many of us react with terror when he announces he is returning to 'enhance' the original trilogy once again. Hopefully there will never be a time when it's gone so P.C. that the laser rifles and lightsabers are replaced by comlinks and holographic communicators and it is renamed 'Star-InterGalacticTensionsThatAreNotReallyAWarAtAll'...

As a little aside, everyone here should watch the documentary Empire Of Dreams which is about the creation of Star Wars and just how much it changed things and how troubled it was and how close it came to never getting made. It is 150 minutes long (longer than some of the films themselves!) but it is well worth the watch!

Another little aside... George Lucas' net worth as of 2011 is USD$3,500,000,000... not bad for a man who wanted to basically re-do Buck Rogers with a splash of Eastern Mysticism and Arthurian legend thrown in...

Another aside: I just finised watching A New Hope and I had actually forgotten how amazingly, utterly brilliant it is. Even though I've seen it dozens of times, the tension in the final scenes (The Battle Of Yavin) is unreal. The use of John Williams score is at its very best here. And for someone who grew up watching these films as a kid, it still gets me a bit misty-eyed and I get a bit of a lump in the throat towards the very end and in the aftermath of the Battle. It's just way too good!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DazMarz wrote: »
    Say what you will about George Lucas (he may be misguided at times), but I genuinely think that he really believes everything he does is for the greater good, even though many of us react with terror when he announces he is returning to 'enhance' the original trilogy once again. Hopefully there will never be a time when it's gone so P.C. that the laser rifles and lightsabers are replaced by comlinks and holographic communicators and it is renamed 'Star-InterGalacticTensionsThatAreNotReallyAWarAtAll'...

As a little aside, everyone here should watch the documentary Empire Of Dreams which is about the creation of Star Wars and just how much it changed things and how troubled it was and how close it came to never getting made. It is 150 minutes long (longer than some of the films themselves!) but it is well worth the watch!

Another little aside... George Lucas' net worth as of 2011 is USD$3,500,000,000... not bad for a man who wanted to basically re-do Buck Rogers with a splash of Eastern Mysticism and Arthurian legend thrown in...

Another aside: I just finised watching A New Hope and I had actually forgotten how amazingly, utterly brilliant it is. Even though I've seen it dozens of times, the tension in the final scenes (The Battle Of Yavin) is unreal. The use of John Williams score is at its very best here. And for someone who grew up watching these films as a kid, it still gets me a bit misty-eyed and I get a bit of a lump in the throat towards the very end and in the aftermath of the Battle. It's just way too good!!! :P

Really good documentary,shall be checking out more of Adywan's edits,sound pretty impressive.

Advertisement