Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 'customer service' phone scam

• 14-05-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a call from a panicked mother saying she had been harassed with calls from people claiming to be from 'windows customer care'. They told her she had viruses on her computer that needed removing and wanted her to install software.

She eventually gave in and installed what appeared to be some antivirus software - I think they may have been controlling her pc remotely at this point, not sure. They wanted her to give credit card details to pay for some other service but she refused. Bastards.

Over the phone, I talked her through changing all her passwords and removing the software. I also told her to cancel her cards as a precaution.

Is there anything else she needs to do? Is this a common scam? Can't believe she fell for it but I suppose it's not so obvious to the non-techy among us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Her computer should be confiscated for no less than one month until she learns how to use it like a big girl.

We store our entire lives on computers and some people refuse to have even basic training in how to use them effectively and securely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Tusky wrote: »
    Just got a call from a panicked mother saying she had been harassed with calls from people claiming to be from 'windows customer care'. They told her she had viruses on her computer that needed removing and wanted her to install software.

She eventually gave in and installed what appeared to be some antivirus software - I think they may have been controlling her pc remotely at this point, not sure. They wanted her to give credit card details to pay for some other service but she refused. Bastards.

Over the phone, I talked her through changing all her passwords and removing the software. I also told her to cancel her cards as a precaution.

Is there anything else she needs to do? Is this a common scam? Can't believe she fell for it but I suppose it's not so obvious to the non-techy among us.

there is a threadnaught here about that scam http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

mods ye may as well move this to tech forums or lock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i got one of these calls as did two friends, the scam is for the credit card details, they instruct you to go to the event viewer and show you 'errors' and they will fix them in exchange for a payment. one of my friends was in the proccess of giving them remote access to the computer when his phone died and rang me in a panic saying do i have the number for microsoft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Stung rapih

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its madness that it has to be done but every PC and laptop that is sold should come with a page from any decent maker about some of these scams and what to look out for.

It won't solve the problem but it might help not make the scam artists life so easy.

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote: »
    i got one of these calls as did two friends, the scam is for the credit card details, they instruct you to go to the event viewer and show you 'errors' and they will fix them in exchange for a payment. one of my friends was in the proccess of giving them remote access to the computer when his phone died and rang me in a panic saying do i have the number for microsoft!

the software they ask you to install (logmein) is modded to contain keyloggers.... so as long as it's on your pc it will relay your key strokes back to them.

pull the computer off the lan/internet then remove the software and hidden malware then change passwords etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Am I right in saying that now that she had changed the admin password on the pc, they won't be able to remotely access it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Is this a common scam?

Quite common Tusky, have heard a few people complain about it.

Comes in quite a few forms also:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/05603669724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Tell her to ignore all calls about her computer.

I get them now and again. They tell you that your computer is slow or something and you should install and scan your computer using their software.

The software always finds "spyware/viruses" that only their software can get rid of, but you'll have to buy the full product to do so. Total scam.

A buddy of mine who has no computer gets those calls as well. They tell him there is something wrong with his PC and that he will have to use their software to fix it. He usually strings them along or a while before telling them to get lost.

Am I right in saying that now that she had changed the admin password on the pc, they won't be able to remotely access it ?

if you have removed the software installed then yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Me- Stop stop stop... I'm a computer engineering student (I'm not).
    Them- Hangs up immediately.

http://www.myfacewhen.com/88/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Do a reinstall after copying whatever jpgs etc off it.

She probably has no need for a remote access service running at all, if there is one she should disable it.

change all passwords on that pc... if you can't change it cos you no longer know it try this http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-recover-forgotten-windows-nt-2000-xp-2003-administrator-password/

i can see how some maybe caught out by this scam but some scams are ridiculous and people still fall for them, i am constantly being e-mailed by the King of Zumumba that his country is being over thrown by a rebel force and he wishes to hide his wealth in my bank account and i get to keep one million american dollars :)

i've noticed a few on carzone too which i reported but they are never taken down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Seachmall wrote: »
    Her computer should be confiscated for no less than one month until she learns how to use it like a big girl.

We store our entire lives on computers and some people refuse to have even basic training in how to use them effectively and securely.

It's a con which older folk are particularly susceptible to given fact the use of computers being used in everyday life is a recent phenomenon. Don't be so judgemental.

i can see how some maybe caught out by this scam but some scams are ridiculous and people still fall for them, i am constantly being e-mailed by the King of Zumumba that his country is being over thrown by a rebel force and he wishes to hide his wealth in my bank account and i get to keep one million american dollars :)

i've noticed a few on carzone too which i reported but they are never taken down

so how much did ya pay the King of Zumumba then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

It depends on whether or not they have installed a piece of software or not.

I have Teamviewer installed on my parents PC and I can access that pretty much when and as often as I like.

Do a restore to an earlier point (as far back as possible) as this will remove any potential software which they may have installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

got one of these a few months ago
    "I would like to inform you we have detected a virus on your windows software"
    "I use a mac"
    *click*

so how much did ya pay the King of Zumumba then?

i gave him 500 dollars for a flight ticket via a westren union transfer...

the prick still hasnt shown up :pac:

• Advertisement

It depends on whether or not they have installed a piece of software or not.

I have Teamviewer installed on my parents PC and I can access that pretty much when and as often as I like.

Do a restore to an earlier point (as far back as possible) as this will remove any potential software which they may have installed.

system restore wont get rid of malware... most malware copies itself into the system restore files. fact is system restore is a useless piece of crap microsoft made to make people that know nothing about computer feel safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

change all passwords on that pc... if you can't change it cos you no longer know it try this http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-recover-forgotten-windows-nt-2000-xp-2003-administrator-password/

I've already got her to change all passwords on computer and e-mail etc, uninstall the software and turn remote computer off. Seems like it might be safe, thank feck. Little ****ers.

I've already got her to change all passwords on computer and e-mail etc, uninstall the software and turn remote computer off. Seems like it might be safe, thank feck. Little ****ers.

download and run malwarebytes and spybot search & destroy to clean the system

edit: make sure both are updated and spybot has immunised before running the scans - both apps are free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I pretended to go through the motions with one of those feckers one day, they telling me which buttons to press, and me pretending to press them. It dragged on for about 25 mins because I was telling the woman that nothing was happening. She finally gave me an isp address to enter in the browser, which I didn't enter, but kept up the pretence. She got a bit confused when I told her that I had a message on the screen telling me that it was a scam. I dragged it out for another 5 mins, then laughed at her, so she hung up.

rgmmg wrote: »
    It's a con which older folk are particularly susceptible to given fact the use of computers being used in everyday life is a recent phenomenon. Don't be so judgemental.

These cons are around much longer than computers, when relying on a computer for day to day business you should at least be aware of the common scams used to exploit it.

If someone purchased a car with no understanding of how to lock the door and then parked it in a bad neighbourhood they'd universally be labeled foolish and naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Uninstalling the software would be the first step, otherwise you've undone all the hard work by giving them the new passwords.

A clean re-install of the operating system is generally the best way to make sure.

i gave him 500 dollars for a flight ticket via a westren union transfer...

the prick still hasnt shown up :pac:

his asylum seeker's app must have been rejected... have a look in the container's down in rosslare port you'll find him there

Got one myself today from none other than the wife of the president of Syria!:D

Got one myself today from none other than the wife of the president of Syria!:D

quick send her some money...you'll get a free holiday to the usa just remember to wear your orange boiler suit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I always troll the pricks when they ring, tho sometimes they know and hang up right away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Some good suggestions have been made.

In total what I would do is:

1. Download the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    install it and update it with the latest (free) virus/scamware data.

2. Disconnect from internet.

3. Run Malwarebytes.

4. THEN re-connect to the net and change passwords.

No point in changing passwords while keylogger is (hidden) present still on machine and not cleared off - and still sending data on new keystrokes that pertain to newly entered passwords..

Yakult wrote: »
    I always troll the pricks when they ring, tho sometimes they know and hang up right away.

try sell them some yakult when they are on the phone.... all that hot curries they eat must be hard on the bowels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please use Computer forum.
    There is a thread there that deals specifically with these scams
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78366302

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement