Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth. HELP!!!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, hows things. Im finally ready to make that move. We are going on the 6th of June, there are 4 of us(19, 22, 23 and stupid). We never travelled like this before and we need a few questions answered.

1)Regional work.
    We plan on doing regional work first and get that out of the way so we can avail of the second year visa. How are things in Perth for this, would I have to travel far? We won't have a car either.
    Also what type of work would there be at this time of year? Is the regional work hard to get, we don't have massive amounts of money to keep us going ages doing nothing.

2) Accommodation.
    OK when we arrive we hope to get a cheap hostel or even a trailer. Any recommendations? We don't want to be stuck out too far from the city(except for regional work). Im not looking for a place full of messers. How much would we be looking price wise for a cheap enough place for 4 people. Any websites were I can pre-book a place?
    When we finish our regional work we will hope to get an apartment or house, again something cheap. What parts of Perth should we live in that have Irish people around?

3) Banking.
    Im with AIB here and have the funds needed but which bank should I transfer
    to? I hear currency fair is the way to go, how does that work? How do I set up a bank account on the net that I can transfer to and from. I know Im stupid waiting the last minute to do this:rolleyes:

4) Mobile phone provider.
    Im just going to sim free my fisher price phone and get a sim card over there. Who would be a good company to use and cheap in WA. Is it just as simple as getting a new sim card in the shop or do I need ID etc?

5) Travel insurance.
    I think this is a must, any cheap company's here that offer health care? I wouldn't like to be forking out for injury's.

6) Drivers licence, white card etc.
    Is it true the white card can be done online? If so thats a bonus and would be handy for regional work. Can my drivers licence be used over there without doing driving courses? I have a full licence.

7) Mechanic licence.
    I hear plumbers and electricians have to do courses to get a licence, is this the case for mechanics? After the regional work im shipping over my tool box and try get a job in the motor trade or even in de moyines if Im lucky.

First person to answer will get a lollypop.
    Thanks in advance:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Just to say that you will have no problem getting a job in the motor trade, there is always a shortage of mechanics here. Getting a job in the mines will be virtually impossible due to all the extra tickets you would need plus your lack of experience and a long term visa. Auto-motive Personnel is the name of an agency that places motor mechanics, average pay is around $50-60k per year. Getting sponsorship is a possibility too. Having your own tools is a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

3) Banking.
    The FAQ has a section on this, you can set up from ireland and then CF it over

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

1)Regional work.
    We plan on doing regional work first and get that out of the way so we can avail of the second year visa. How are things in Perth for this, would I have to travel far? We won't have a car either.
    Also what type of work would there be at this time of year? Is the regional work hard to get, we don't have massive amounts of money to keep us going ages doing nothing.
    Regional work can be a matter of luck,especially know that so many Irish are looking to extend their visas,a lot of farms will give you free food and accommodation in return for free labour.But with experience as a mechanic you could be lucky,the farm I worked on was mad for anyone who could work on tractors and machinery.

2) Accommodation.
    OK when we arrive we hope to get a cheap hostel or even a trailer. Any recommendations? We don't want to be stuck out too far from the city(except for regional work). Im not looking for a place full of messers. How much would we be looking price wise for a cheap enough place for 4 people. Any websites were I can pre-book a place?
    When we finish our regional work we will hope to get an apartment or house, again something cheap. What parts of Perth should we live in that have Irish people around?
    Accommodation isn't cheap anywhere in Perth,especially with the current mining boom.Their also seems to be a shortage of rentals at the moment.Northbridge is the suburb for hostels and is right beside the city and the night-life.The hostels in Northbridge are expensive,I stayed in underground backpackers,so that is the only one I can judge.I hated it when I was there.I was working so that was part of the reason I didn't enjoy it.They have a bar that opens every night and there was people drinking in it every night of the week,when I was in bed at 9.00pm to get up at 5.00am for work,I would be woke at 2 or 3am by the others in my room who would be coming from the bar.I had to buy food as I went because anything you left in the common kitchen was stolen.The internet was expensive $2 for every 15mins and really slow.It was all bad though,it was a great spot of a Saturday night because I had no work the next day.Also a great place to meet new people.

7) Mechanic licence.
    I hear plumbers and electricians have to do courses to get a licence, is this the case for mechanics? After the regional work im shipping over my tool box and try get a job in the motor trade or even in de moyines if Im lucky.
    You don't need a license to be a mechanic like electricians or plumbers,you should have no problem getting a job as a motor mechanic in the city and may even get sponsorship.Unfortunately I don't know anyone working in the moyines? But I worked in the mines myself,they very rarely take on mechanics on a WHV,they might consider you if you had a skilled migration visa,are you FAS qualified?If so I would advice getting a skilled migration visa,it will open so many opportunities for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks lads for the info.
    Seems safe enough for a mechanic over here so thats a bit of a weight off my shoulders. Working for free food and accommodation in return for free labour sounds a bit nasty. Even if I got free food, accommodation and crap money, that wouldn't be too bad I suppose. Are they any specific websites that cater for WHV people looking for regional work? I won't have any contacts in Perth which is massive con.

Even after reading other threads the accommodation in Perth seems nuts. I won't be interested in a mad house like that Dazzler88. I'd like something cheap with maybe a 3 or four beds room, we could then cut the price between us. Has anyone a link for a site where I can pre book a place to stay for a few weeks till I get regional work? I'd be greatful, even a site were they are reviews on it.

Yes Dazzler88 Im FAS qualified and I got a couple of great reference's so that can help. I meant the mines, don't mind me getting carried away with de moyines:p My uncle is friends with an Irish lad who recruits for the mining industry so I might get in contact with him.

Thanks again for the help and of course the more the better even small info and little tips and tricks would be massively appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Plug wrote: »
    Even after reading other threads the accommodation in Perth seems nuts. I won't be interested in a mad house like that Dazzler88. I'd like something cheap with maybe a 3 or four beds room, we could then cut the price between us. Has anyone a link for a site where I can pre book a place to stay for a few weeks till I get regional work? I'd be greatful, even a site were they are reviews on it.
    The best place to look for accommodation is on Gumtree Perth,look for a house share.The back packers are listed on here if you search a thread Hostels in Perth.The best place to look for work is in the Western Australian paper,it is best for jobs on wednesday and saturday,you will be able to get it in most petrol stations the evening before,then circle around the jobs and start ringing the next morning.

• Advertisement

Bit of an update, I set up account with NAB and Currency Fair. Currency Fair is set up and confirmed and I linked it to my Irish account. NAB said it will take up to 2 weeks to get working, they didn't sent me an email either. Realistically how long will it take?
    Im actually a clown. Im going the 7th of June and only done this banking stuff today:rolleyes:

If I want to put money in my CF account, I go to my bank and transfer money to them via the bank account details they gave me? And then when I get the NAB set up I transfer from CF to them? I take it thats the general way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Jaysus mate do a search through the forums, all these questions have been answered!

It ain't another persons job to plan your whole trip for ya (not for free anyway).

Jaysus mate do a search through the forums, all these questions have been answered!

It ain't another persons job to plan your whole trip for ya (not for free anyway).
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?u=324180&title=1&sort=newest

Likewise:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He's just jealous nobody answered his post... :)

OP, if you're not looking for a place full of messers in Perth then stay clear of Northbridge at all costs. It has the majority of the hostels but that also means it has the majority of the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

ha touche!

In fairness for most of my questions I did try and look and see if there were previous posts.

Anyway I feel bad now so I give a few of your questions a blast :)
    Ok folks, hows things. Im finally ready to make that move. We are going on the 6th of June, there are 4 of us(19, 22, 23 and stupid). We never travelled like this before and we need a few questions answered.

1)Regional work.

If your going Perth keep in mind Perth is the only area in WA that you aren't able to do your specified work. (As its a big ass city not the country side). Anywhere but Perth is good to go. Keep in mind that there is little public transport in these remote areas so what most people reccommend you to do is to buy a cheap car and sell in on after the regional work. That or befriend someone with a car

In WA its currently pruning season on the vineyards. If you head to somewhere like the Margaret river (300km from Perth and western Australia's most famous wine region) you should find work on the vineyards. Hostels in this area will also help you with this

List of vineyards in Margaret River: http://www.lookatwa.com.au/Wineries/margaretriver.html/

2) Accommodation.

http://www.hostelworld.com/ and http://www.hostels.com/ for hostels and Gumtree for somewhere more permanent

First person to answer will get a lollypop.
    Thanks in advance:cool:

Some links worth reading

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962

http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tenancy_laws_in_australia.php

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055903547

My advice coming over is to treat your trip seriously. Don't just look at it as a piss up. Try and get away from the Irish bars (and maybe Irish people?) and see the place and people. Try and find a well paying job if you can 'cause its an expensive place to live in if you aren't earning good money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Plug, I'm in Perth and might be able to get you a start as a mechanic or at leastgive you a contact or 2.

If you are sending over your tools you need to thoroughly clean them before hand. And I mean thoroughly.

I sent mine out by airfreight with a crowd from Santry. Cost me 600 euro and took 4 days to get here

Thats more like it markymark21:p

I shall stay away from Northbridge so, im just keen on not drinking or partying till I have work and am sorted with everything else. Im just going to get the cheapest hostel as Im only going to be sleeping there, thats all.
    Thanks for the info about the vineyards Mark, I think I will head to Margaret river region in search of regional work. I'll try them contact numbers on that link for a hostel or even a farm that have accommodation and food.

@Slidey, thanks.
    Im going to tackle my tools later with brake cleaner and I have a brand new box so won't be too bad. Did you say on another thread you have to right out a list on everything in the toolbox? Im going to get the regional work out of the way before I get my father to send it over. hopefully it works out anyway and sure we may meet up for a pint at some stage:)

PS, who's the best mobile company for remote area's?

Advertisement