Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting over

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Well here I am starting over.......

As the name suggests I am a former runner who has let myself go...35ys old, living in the big smoke, used to be a runner in school but an accident in my 20's ended it and basically scared me off.

I've thought for the last few years about getting back into it and now I am finally doing it.

I have just gone through a marriage breakup and have two young kids, its going to be hard to find the time with work and things but I have to start somewhere.

I am also suffering depression at the moment and have heard that running can do wonders there...I hope thats true :)

So yeah this is me and I hope this blog of sorts will keep me going and keep me away from the junk food. I have zero knowledge of running now and will probably need to pick brains all over the place but someday who knows I might be the wise one helping another newbie. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with your log, plenty of experienced runners here who give excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I can't speak in general re: running and depression, but from my own experience, regular exercise has been enormously helpful in keeping me on the straight and narrow. I wish you the very best of luck CR, with everything. And welcome to A/R/T!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ChubbyRunner

Thank you both, glad to hear someone else manages to keep running despite depression. :) I sometimes wonder am I mad to even try this, my usual coping method is lots and lots of crisps and ice cream hence my weight gain. :o

No more excuses though...I went for a long walk today and scoped out a running route, I'm newish to the area and didn't really have much knowledge of the back roads here but I have a 5k circuit for starters and an additional 2km that can be tacked onto that over safe, well maintained and fairly flat ground.

It was just made for running really and I could feel some of the old excitement coming back so I think that's a good sign.

Tonight I am going to weigh myself :eek: so I have some idea of where I am starting from physically.

First run tomorrow....I think I will ease into it using the C25K app and see how I manage with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Tonight I am going to weigh myself .

drums fingers and waits........ well!!
    how did the run go?

Advertisement