Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlord withholding deposit

• 14-05-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

We moved out on April 25th. €600 of €750 deposit was finally returned on 9th May. There was no explanation as to why the €150 was withheld.

I left 3 voicemails and 2 text messages for the landlord - but no response.

Today she answered when I rang from a private number.

She was immediately defensive and accused us of a taking a toaster and of leaving the place filthy. She claimed that when you lifted the cushions off the sofa you would "vomit" if you had seen the filth which was under them - I was shocked by what she said. She said she had to get professional cleaners in etc etc. I cleaned the house from top to bottom before we left and the toaster was left there - I have no idea where she got the idea that we took the toaster from???

The place was left spotless and the letting agent inspected it and even sent me an email - below - stating so

I spoke with Landlord & emailed her this morning with therecommendation that the full deposit be returned to you at your forwarding address in XXX

Many thanks for returning the house in excellent condition. I’vesuggested to Landlord that she repair the oven door surround – we weren’taware it had come loose & apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've already lodged a complaint with the PRTB and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this. I told the landlord that I would be lodging a complaint as I disputed what she said and she said - go ahead, I want nothing more to do with you - and then she hung up on me. I rang the letting agent who said that he was absolutely shocked by her behaviour and he also has an email similiar to the above sent to her stating that the house was left in excellent condition - the only ailment being the surround of the oven door which he recommended getting fixed but that was wear and tear.

Finally, I don't know weather to text her and tell her I've lodged a dispute with the PRTB - we need to get the €150 back asap as we've just had a new baby and have a lot of expenses. She seems to know that she is in the wrong as she avoided me and she just seems to be cowardly about it. I don't want to wait however long it is with the PRTB to make an adjudication - does anyone know how long it normally takes?

Should I try and communicate with her once more and get a resolution or leave it now that I've lodged the dispute (and paid the €25 fee) with the PRTB?

I just want our money back - as far as I'm concerned she's just as much stolen it as well as accusing of stealing from her. It's now a matter of principal more than anything else. The agent has being helpful but isn't willing to act as a mediator (fair enough I suppose) and just recommended going to the PRTB.

Thanks for any advice

Highly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

highly1111 wrote: »
    Should I try and communicate with her once more and get a resolution
    Yes. The PRTB can take a long time and even when they rule in your favour they may not bother to enforce it (see last Thursday's Prime Time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You've done what you can leave it to the PRTB. She's unlikely to budge at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Sell the toaster on Adverts, get a few euro back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

cgarrad wrote: »
    Sell the toaster on Adverts, get a few euro back....

I bl**dy well wish I had lifted it now!!

Advertisement