Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning off the coast of Dublin??

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Anyone have any good spots to go spinning off piers or that in dublin....recently moved up here and am missing the country fishing,a spot to do a few hours in the evening would be appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Skerries harbour when the macks are in, same with howth, the high rock off portmarnock has produced whiting and others from spinning, Rogerstown estuary can produce bass and sea trout when fished at low tide, all good spots for spinning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 glabousky

thanks for that,i would only be able to get out from between 6pm and whenever it would get dark!??would that be good time to go out!??i heard even mackerel put up a decent fight on light gear??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you are fishing for macks you're best going out at high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

glabousky wrote: »
    thanks for that,i would only be able to get out from between 6pm and whenever it would get dark!??would that be good time to go out!??i heard even mackerel put up a decent fight on light gear??

If you're fishing for macks it's usually a good idea to fish up the tide, what i mean is start about 2 hours before high tide and keep fishing until about an hour after high tide, thats just my personal preference. And it's always a good idea for you to fish for mackerel when it's sunny, they can see their prey easier, and feed better.

Macks will give you a decent fight on light gear, that's one of the main reasons people go for them, they're good sport, and nice to eat too. You shouldn't need bigger than a 9-10 foot spinning rod if going for them, and a german sprat spinner is always excellent for the macks, I've caught countless on them. If you don't wanna use one of them, feathers and a 3 oz lead are always a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 glabousky

thanks for that....its usually trout and pike i go after so im looking for some good sport for the summer up here!!!cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

DL pier at the end is good for spinning, macks and pollock, also, greystones harbour. Probably still a bit cold for macks.

Advertisement