Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No connection after upgrading Zyxel firmware

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Long story short, I upgraded the firmware on my Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 to V3.70(BOE.4)D0 | 08/23/2010 and since then I can't get any connection and there is a red light for internet on the router. I've reset the thing countless times to factory settings and tried every possible username and password combo (eircom@eircom.net, broadband1 etc) and I just can't get the thing to connect.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's a username and password issue but I have no idea what they could be. No matter what password I enter, when I go back in it's always reverted to some 6 character password.
    DSL - pass
    ATM - fail
    PPP - fail
    IP - fail
    pinging www.eircom.net - fail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If you are an eircom customer the username is definitely eircom@eircom.net and password is broadband1

Are you sure the firmware updated correctly. Do you have another router that you can try on the line to rule out an issue with the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The new firmware might be based around PPPoA instead of PPPoE. Make sure it's set to PPPoE 8/35

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iPanda

If you are an eircom customer the username is definitely eircom@eircom.net and password is broadband1

Are you sure the firmware updated correctly. Do you have another router that you can try on the line to rule out an issue with the connection
    Still can't get anything with that username and pass. When I connect to the wireless a little pop up appears from the icon in the system tray and tells me that 'additional log on info may be required'.

And the firmware definitely updated correctly. Sadly no other router.
    The new firmware might be based around PPPoA instead of PPPoE. Make sure it's set to PPPoE 8/35
    It has been set to this the whole time. :/

Perhaps I have my own username and password? From memory of rooting around in the router menu in the past I never recall seeing eircom@eircom.net in the username field, if anything I would say there were numbers there. Because of this I tried my home phone number as the username but once again no luck.

Can you take a screenshot similar to this please and post it here?
    WAN_Internet_Access_Setup.jpg

2hgbkoj.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok stupid question time.
    Are you sure you're an Eircom broadband customer? Because obviously if you're not then the username and password you're entering will not work.
    If you saw numbers in the username field before it could have been something like phonenumber@provider.ie like 123456789@eircom.net or 123456789@vodafone.ie and so on..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iPanda wrote: »
    Still can't get anything with that username and pass. When I connect to the wireless a little pop up appears from the icon in the system tray and tells me that 'additional log on info may be required'.

That message is in connection with your wireless network password.

100% sure I'm an Eircom customer. Internet was fine up until the firmware update, I just can't understand it.

The 6 character password it always reverts to is just 6 asterisks.. I told Firefox to remember the password and when I went into options to check which password it had remembered all I saw was ****** beside the username I had entered.

I really have no idea what else to try. Do you know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware? It probably wouldn't do anything but it would be worth a shot. I have a feeling that the router would reject any older firmware if I were to acquire the file though.

Also is there a way to reset the router to COMPLETE factory status? I mean a reset that would restore it to what firmware it had when it was in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.
    100% sure I'm an Eircom customer. Internet was fine up until the firmware update, I just can't understand it.

The factory reset will reset all the modem settings, not the firmware. The firmware you have is what you're stuck with now, as it's not generally possible to downgrade those.

It may be that you've somehow broken your modem, though since it's booting up and you can log on it's hard to see how. No connection is generally just a settings issue, all though perhaps there's something in that new firmware that is incompatible with eircom DSL.

Well I got the firmware directly from the Eircom website and it's the only one the router ever accepts.

Is it possible I have an older connection with my own username and password which would explain why none of the default ones are working? Or were those all phased out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I cant remember for sure but this might be worth a try....

the old usernames and passwords used to be the name on the bill and the first line of your address without spaces

ie:

joebloggs
    1newstreet

No luck sadly, thanks though.

Interesting to note that the DSL light on the router is flashing a lot when I power it on before eventually staying green and a red light appearing for internet. Normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Way back in the mists of time when I got DSL in for the first time, the user id and password were specific to each user, and in my case at least, were the same as my eircom email address (without the @eircom.net) and the email password.

Now it's just eircom (i.e. not eircom@eircom.net) and broadband1, at least that's what's working on my router at the moment.

Tried a new router (same model) and have the exact same problem. I'll probably get someone out.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Tried a new router (same model) and have the exact same problem. I'll probably get someone out.

Thanks.

Hi iPanda,

Could you PM me the phone number so I can check the connection from our end please. There are a few things that could be happening based on the info so far. Red internet light usually means an authentication issue with our servers in which case you would need to call support on 1890 260 260 to get it escalated. It could also be simply the wireless password as mentioned above.

One thing to try in Firefox: Click "Tools", then "Options" and hit the "Security" tab. In there, click the button on the bottom right that says "Saved Passwords". Look for "192.168.1.254" listed under the "Site" heading. Next, click "Show Passwords" and confirm that the password is saved correctly as broadband1. If not, delete this entry and then try log in again.

If that doesn't work I have to recommend calling support directly. They will go through the troubleshooting and try restore the modem and if not possible will send a replacement. For this, ensure you have the account number to hand when calling.

Regards

James

Advertisement