Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling my computer

Options
  • 14-05-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭

Deja vu moment for me, I think had a thread like this before :D

Im very committed to have a watercooling system

my pc specs are

Fractal Design Define R3 Series ATX Case - Black Pearl
    2x gtx 570s
    i5

My budget is 500-700

Im wondering should I get a better case for watercooling or with the R3 do?

If someone can link to the parts that are best for me, I really would appreciate it, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Headshot wrote: »
    Deja vu moment for me, I think had a thread like this before :D

Im very committed to have a watercooling system

my pc specs are

Fractal Design Define R3 Series ATX Case - Black Pearl
    2x gtx 570s
    i5

My budget is 500-700

Im wondering should I get a better case for watercooling or with the R3 do?

If someone can link to the parts that are best for me, I really would appreciate it, thanks
    Is that the budget just for watercooling? If so I would definitely change the case. Its a brilliant case, just not for watercooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deceit wrote: »
    Is that the budget just for watercooling? If so I would definitely change the case. Its a brilliant case, just not for watercooling.

budget is really for everything tbh (incl case)

I was thinking of that I may need a new case

Anyone have suggestions for an ideal case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The 600T is quite a nice one. If you want a big one, you can also think about the HAF X, or Cosmos 2, maybe the 800D, but those last two in particular would probably eat into the budget.

The Cosmos 2 would be the dream one but just to expensive for me unfortunately, damn fine case too

I do like the Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T. That looks very nice indeed

I think ill for for the Corsair 600T one, looks sweet

Hardwareversand have it at 140 (excl postage) anyone got a better price for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm in the the process of building a loop in my 600T. Its not the best case for water, but with some very specific planning and parts it can be done.

I've built with the white version, and if anything, its even more beautiful than my black one. pics don't do it justice.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm in the the process of building a loop in my 600T. Its not the best case for water, but with some very specific planning and parts it can be done.

I've built with the white version, and if anything, its even more beautiful than my black one. pics don't do it justice.

hmm I dont like the sound of that

Maybe ill go for the HAF X instead?

Ideally, you want 120mm rad per component + 120 extra for noise reduction.

so you want GPU GPU CPU -> 3(120) + 120 = 480mm.

that's a lot of radiator. Best bet is to find a case that can hold a 360mm + something else.

....The 600T can do a *skinny* 240mm up top, or a 360 with a hacksaw.

Then it can take a phobya 200mm in the front, which has more surface area than a 240. layman's terms, it'll be just enough to support your components, and even better for next gen GPUs which run cooler. I'm toying with the idea of adding a single 120mm rad at the back, which it has space for too.

also, the 600T + water doesn't lend itself well to 1155 based boards, cause of the large heatsinks above the CPU socket. I might have to cut my rad slightly.

As I said, its not ideal, but I love the 600T too much to part with it. the only case I consider to be an upgrade in form and function is the Cosmos2, but it costs a fortune.

This looks a very nice case

NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-076-NX

I also found this built with it

2 graphic cards like myself
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1676328

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Ideally, you want 120mm rad per component + 120 extra for noise reduction.

so you want GPU GPU CPU -> 3(120) + 120 = 480mm.

that's a lot of radiator. Best bet is to find a case that can hold a 360mm + something else.

....The 600T can do a *skinny* 240mm up top, or a 360 with a hacksaw.

Then it can take a phobya 200mm in the front, which has more surface area than a 240. layman's terms, it'll be just enough to support your components, and even better for next gen GPUs which run cooler. I'm toying with the idea of adding a single 120mm rad at the back, which it has space for too.

also, the 600T + water doesn't lend itself well to 1155 based boards, cause of the large heatsinks above the CPU socket. I might have to cut my rad slightly.

As I said, its not ideal, but I love the 600T too much to part with it. the only case I consider to be an upgrade in form and function is the Cosmos2, but it costs a fortune.
    Your best bet for a decent watercooled case is the nzxt switch 810 or the xigmatek elysium. Both are good value, look decent and are really good for watercooling.

Headshot wrote: »
    This looks a very nice case

NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-076-NX

I also found this built with it

2 graphic cards like myself
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1676328
    deceit wrote: »
    Your best bet for a decent watercooled case is the nzxt switch 810 or the xigmatek elysium. Both are good value, look decent and are really good for watercooling.

The Switch 810 ticks all the right boxes... but do not buy it!.

Ive built a rig around it and its a piece of ****. Well for its price it is anyway.:o

colours dont match up between metal and plastic.
    the door hinge screws are rubbish.
    if you watch any vids it points out a little switch type mechanism ease of removing the door. what everyone fails to point out is that youve to remove the screw anyway when reattaching the door, something you shouldnt have to deal with on a 200 case.
    as is the vent thing up top. gimmicky and rubbish. doesnt actually do anything for noise either.

The top 5.25" bay has a built in "flap" for the CD drive (at the front), and it doesnt close properly unless you press on it after every eject if you know what I mean. and ive seen that in review videos too. You also cant remove it without some ugly left behind.

The window, while wonderfully big, is at a very odd angle, and just doesnt look right. the top corner shows off the 5.25" bays again.... why?

The rubber grommets for cable management lose their elasticity VERY fast. take out the 24pin power 2/3 times while doing cable management and it stays open.

at the rear the 120mm fan has "this wonderful feature" where it can slide to your desired position. they dont mention that you chip the paint while fastening it with the screw again. and thats not hard or anything, just enough to take its own weight.

If you follow the front bezzle plastic to the top, there is a small gab between it and the above mentioned gimmicky vent. well they're angled like a pyramid at each other. you can see it if you look closely at a vid of it. basically there is no "flow" to the shrouds around the metal.

The hidden usb ports at the front with the mic/headphone jack is stupidly designed. you dont realise how often you reach for those, or how many of the front USB ports you use, untill you've to flip that flap up and down. it breaks the lines at the front to leave it open. Its hard to describe. its just annoying. the reset button when you're OCing....:mad:

on the front there is a 120mm fan.. with almost no ventilation holes, so its noisy. this is coming from someone who uses a 600T, which is basically a sieve and doesnt absorb any sound.:o

you also CANNOT fit a 240mm rad in there, despite what you may think. its not possible. the fans are spaced 2/3mm too far apart to hold the rad.

The built in fan controller... isnt a fan controller at all. it just powers 7 fans with a molex. ie 100% 12v 24/7. thats it. :confused:

the HDD toolless bays. OMFG where to begin. RUBBISH!

once you have a HDD in it, the pivot things holding it in place get pushed out too far to fit back into the bloody cage. I kid you not, if you can follow what im trying to say. you have to tear off the rubber part (anti vibration) of it to get back it. hardly ****ing quick swap.:mad: junk.

urg Ill update with more later, ive to go get trashed cause i finished exams.

sorry for teh rant, its been a long time coming.:o:o:o

• Advertisement

Kind of what I was thinking when I saw the switch mentioned. Aside from a few select cases, NZXT mostly focuses on the G4M3R crowd - Gaudy, low quality cases.

The 600T isn't a bad choice, really. You can stick and EX240 up to (just about, I think) which will supposedly cool close to the RX's capacity, and then another 200mm in the front. If you really wanted, I think you could fit a 120 in the floor too, though I'm not sure on this one.

You could look at the old favourite: The TJ-07 from Silverstone. I think it's a bit hard to come by these days, and I've never really liked it (though I'm not sure why) but maybe you will.

What are you looking for in a case, exactly, Heatshot? Plain and simple, sleek, lights-galore, etc.?

Incidentally, I have plenty of free time as it happens, despite what I mentioned earlier, so once you figure out a case, we start nailing down parts.

If the 600T had better space, id be all over it. Serephucus what im after with a case is just somthing that has great space tbh. Im not into lights and all that jazz

What im looking at now is the Cooler Master HAF-X. That seems to fit all the bill but I also thought that for the NZXT Switch 810 but Tea blew that out of the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

You could always get the 600T and bolt one of these on to the side?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

what about the xigmatek elysium that deceit mentioned above. Gives you loads of space and have read plenty of good reviews for it. Prob the best combination of cost/performance.

The Cosmos II, the 800D or the TJ07 are a slection of some of the best watercooling cases but you just pay so much for them.

Or the mother of all cases if you ask me, the TJ11

deejer wrote: »
    what about the xigmatek elysium that deceit mentioned above. Gives you loads of space and have read plenty of good reviews for it. Prob the best combination of cost/performance.

That to me looks horrible but I dont really care about looks truth be told. Would that be better than the Cooler Master HAF-X?

When are you looking at buying all this Heatshot?

I only ask, because I have the ATCS 840 from Cooler Master, and it's very similar to the HAF 932 on the inside. I'm going to be selling most of my computer in the next week or two, and buying new stuff over the Summer, so if you're interested in it, might be something to consider.

Serephucus wrote: »
    When are you looking at buying all this Heatshot?

I only ask, because I have the ATCS 840 from Cooler Master, and it's very similar to the HAF 932 on the inside. I'm going to be selling most of my computer in the next week or two, and buying new stuff over the Summer, so if you're interested in it, might be something to consider.
    asap

Truth be told im not sure on your case and what's it like for water cooling?

I hope to agree on a case tonight and buy it tonight :)

Ah, I see. Well you could collect it from here next Tuesday, if you needed it ASAP, dunno if that's any good to you.

With the right radiators, it can hold 2x360 and a 120 internally. I haven't tried it, but AFAIK two RX360s and an RX120 should work fine.

Serephucus thanks for the offer but I dont want to be traveling all the way to Dublin or Kildare. So ill just get it from a shop and get it shipped to me

May i ask your opinion on the xigmatek elysium and Cooler Master HAF-X?

Not a fan of either looks-wise, but I suppose that's irrelevent. The HAF X might be a good option because Phobya does a dual 200mm rad that would fit perfectly in the HAF X (if it can take it) and gives you an insane amount of radiator - almost as much as two 360s, all on its own. You could maybe fit another 120 in the back as well, though you'd have to look at dimensions.

If you really just want a lot of radiator, why not an external rad? Phobya do a couple of very big rads - the Nova 1080 (9x120) and the Supernova 1280 (9x140) are great. I use the 1080 at the moment, and it pretty much cools a processor and GPU passively.

• Advertisement

I would pick the xigmatek case over the haf x. If you can get a bracket for it you can fit a full thickness 480mm rad in the front of the case and a 360mm rad in the top so more than enough for any cooling needs.
    check this out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICPvEjUDgz0&feature=plcp
    also just to show what reviewers say about the switch 810
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHjJ8sPe_8&feature=plcp

you know what im going to get the Cooler Master HAF-X. Ill order it tomorrow from germany

Decit thanks for your help on the xigmatek but I just dont like the look at it at all. It looks a good case dont get me wrong but the cooler master seems to have everything I want

So the next step is what to buy and from where?

Specialtech is usually the best bet bet for getting watercooling for ireland. www.specialtech.co.uk . You should get a full thickness 360mm rad and try get another rad to fit in the front like serephucus said as one 360 rad would be a bit too warm for the 3 parts for the exspense your going to.
    Parts you should be getting
    360 rad - I prefer RX360's but there could be better ones now i'm not sure
    200 rad
    xspc raystorm (personal preferance and cools really well)
    If your going to go for a drive bay res/pump combo dont get a ddc pump, get a d5 and res as would be a fair bit quieter.
    With fittings I would get black bitspower compression fittings or ek ones. 7/16 ones look best imo.
    Then all your need is tubing and the two gpu blocks (I would get copper/acetel if looks are not a concern)

Pump
    Radiator
    Reservoir
    CPU Block
    GPU Block
    Fittings
    Tubing

I haven't worked out numbers of fittings, or if the rad there will physically fit. The HAF X does have two 200mm fans up top, and it looks like it has room, but I can't be sure. You'll want to look into that one. I've also left tubing colour up to you.

Pump
    Radiator
    Reservoir
    CPU Block
    GPU Block
    Fittings
    Tubing

I haven't worked out numbers of fittings, or if the rad there will physically fit. The HAF X does have two 200mm fans up top, and it looks like it has room, but I can't be sure. You'll want to look into that one. I've also left tubing colour up to you.

wow thanks alot Serephucus. I presume I need to buy 2 of the GPU blocks that you suggested?

Also if you dont mind can you suggest another CPU block, the other isnt in stock

Give me an idea of the typical amount of fittings one would usually need? (ill add on 5 extra just to make sure)

Ill probably go for this tubing http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-12-ID---34-OD-13-19mm-High-Flex-Tubing--Blue--UV-Blue-pid-4547.html

will 1 quantity do it?

Yeah, you'll need two blocks. Another CPU block would be the XSPC Rasa. You'll need about eight fittings (I think), but you'll want to work out where stuff is going, in case a 90° or 45° fitting would work better in place X or Y vs. a straight fitting. Tubing is done per metre, so at least 2, maybe 3. Never hurts to have spare.

Yeah, you'll need two blocks. Another CPU block would be the XSPC Rasa. You'll need about eight fittings (I think), but you'll want to work out where stuff is going, in case a 90° or 45° fitting would work better in place X or Y vs. a straight fitting. Tubing is done per metre, so at least 2, maybe 3. Never hurts to have spare.

Im not to sure on that tbh

Grab a picture of the HAF X, stick it in Paint, and draw lines for tubes, see what looks like it'll work best, and where you'll stick the pump (as it's the only thing that doesn't have to mount to something else).

Thanks alot Serephucus, really do appreciate it

• Advertisement

No problem. Post the picture when you get a layout that works, eh?

Advertisement