Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling my computer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    Not a fan of either looks-wise, but I suppose that's irrelevent. The HAF X might be a good option because Phobya does a dual 200mm rad that would fit perfectly in the HAF X (if it can take it) and gives you an insane amount of radiator - almost as much as two 360s, all on its own. You could maybe fit another 120 in the back as well, though you'd have to look at dimensions.

If you really just want a lot of radiator, why not an external rad? Phobya do a couple of very big rads - the Nova 1080 (9x120) and the Supernova 1280 (9x140) are great. I use the 1080 at the moment, and it pretty much cools a processor and GPU passively.

Asked on overclockers about fitting the Phobya on the inside top of the HAF X

This was the reply

"I can't say this for certain, but i don't think it will fit as the spacing on the 200mm fans at the top of the HAF are relatively far apart."

Ill have to do some investigation :(

edit

Im now looking at this case
    Aerocool’s Strike-X ST
    Thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Headshot wrote: »
    Asked on overclockers about fitting the Phobya on the inside top of the HAF X

This was the reply

"I can't say this for certain, but i don't think it will fit as the spacing on the 200mm fans at the top of the HAF are relatively far apart."

Ill have to do some investigation :(

edit

Im now looking at this case
    Aerocool’s Strike-X ST
    Thoughts on that?
    Should be of help to you if you decide to go down that route.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1200235/build-log-cpu-ferrari-phobya-xtreme-400mm-rad-inside-a-haf-x

deceit wrote: »

Thanks for that deceit

May I also get your thoughts on the linked case in my last post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Just to update you on the haf X case. it won't fit the phobya without a bit of cutting:

"It does fit however you have to cut the top of the HDD cage to slide in the rad. You will lose the top 5.25 bay as well. So yes there is some modding."

From the guy with the Ferrari mod hafX.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Just to update you on the haf X case. it won't fit the phobya without a bit of cutting:

"It does fit however you have to cut the top of the HDD cage to slide in the rad. You will lose the top 5.25 bay as well. So yes there is some modding."

From the guy with the Ferrari mod hafX.

Thanks alot tea

Do you think that modding will be easy (even worth it) or just go for another case or rad?

• Advertisement

Thanks alot tea

Do you think that modding will be easy (even worth it) or just go for another case or rad?
    I don't know :(

Thing is, you're going to need a dremmel, or angle grinder, and some balls. you'll have to take apart the whole case, and then probably sand down and repaint the cut stuff cause it'll be a nasty metallic silver.

actually, I change my answer: No. :o

I was in your position a while ago, looking for a case to hold a 480 or 2x360’s, and I couldn't find anything I liked that wasnt very expensive.

what's your budget for the case alone?

I don't know :(

Thing is, you're going to need a dremmel, or angle grinder, and some balls. you'll have to take apart the whole case, and then probably sand down and repaint the cut stuff cause it'll be a nasty metallic silver.

actually, I change my answer: No. :o

I was in your position a while ago, looking for a case to hold a 480 or 2x360’s, and I couldn't find anything I liked that wasnt very expensive.

what's your budget for the case alone?
    Man I do not like the sound of that modding, thats a big no tbh

200 for the case, what ya think?
    I could go higher but not by much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Does it have to be an internal rad? You could get something like what myself and Neilos have - a ridonkubig external rad - and just run the tubing out the back of your case. If you want to make it a bit neater you could bolt it to the side panel.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Does it have to be an internal rad? You could get something like what myself and Neilos have - a ridonkubig external rad - and just run the tubing out the back of your case. If you want to make it a bit neater you could bolt it to the side panel.

It doesn't have to be at all. I don't want a big bulky rad thou. I'd be happy to have a rad on top of the case no bother. I do worry about increase in noise thou but if it can't be help, it can't be help. (It's my main objective to decrease noise )

Can you give a link to what you have Serephucus

if you're willing to do external, you can be almost entirely passive. ie no fans at all. win.

• Advertisement

if you're willing to do external, you can be almost entirely passive. ie no fans at all. win.

I like that idea

Is there much involved in that and is it dearer?

Will I have to get a new case or will the R3 do the job?

You might be able to keep your case.

I was very nearly going to do the same with my rig, but I don't fancy the drawbacks, so its a definite no-no from me.

The case will become awkwardly cumbersome with a big metal box filled with water attached to it. if it gets pulled by a kid or somebody, you're going to snap the pipes, and get water all over your components. bye bye. moving the case will be a 2 man job.

also mounting it to you're case will require you to fabricate some strong brackets. you'll also likely have to drill a big hole in the side panel to route the fan cables onto the motherboard.

its also not particularly aesthetically pleasing :o

the good points though are:

very good at cooling.
    quiet, cause you'll probably only need 2 slow fans on the rad and one or 2 inside the case.

Oh I know what your talking about now. That's a hell no from me lol

While researching for watercooling that came up and just like yourself the draw backs were far to much

I think the best option is to have the rad outside top of the case. Id love to figure out what case should I get tbh

I'm looking through cases now that require little to no modding.

how hard is it to make a case with a 480 rad space at the top that doesn't cost a fortune :(

It's not as difficult as Tea makes out. To mount the rad on the side panel, all you need are four screw holes. You just need four screws, and four spacers. Job done. You can then route the fan cables through an empty PCI bracket.

Also, if something happens to hit the radiator hard enough to make it leak, all it'll do is spill outside the case, vs. straight down internally, like with a top-mounted rad, so it's actually safer.

This is what I've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I'm looking through cases now that require little to no modding.

how hard is it to make a case with a 480 rad space at the top that doesn't cost a fortune :(

Ya most medium price cases require you to use the front panel of the case to mount a 280mm rad or something if you are looking for a full loop. Im would be slow enough about doing this as in most cases this would starve you of good air flow, and unless you are putting everything under water you still need decent air cooling in the case.

Really annoying me how much I need to spend on a good watercooling case. trying to pick one up second hand is not proving so successful either

When I first built my 600T based rig, there was a little devil case for 200e second hand online, and I didn't buy it. I kick myself almost every day about it.

There is a very definite niche in the market for a big rad 200e case.

Headshot, if it were my money, I'd be getting an 800D and ghetto mounting a 480 rad in the front, leaving huge potential for more rads to go near passive in the future, or the white 600T and going down the way I already am.

another thing I missed was a 360 rad for £5 on eBay yesterday. somehow my bid was rejected :o

When I first built my 600T based rig, there was a little devil case for 200e second hand online, and I didn't buy it. I kick myself almost every day about it.

There is a very definite niche in the market for a big rad 200e case.

Headshot, if it were my money, I'd be getting an 800D and ghetto mounting a 480 rad in the front, leaving huge potential for more rads to go near passive in the future, or the white 600T and going down the way I already am.

another thing I missed was a 360 rad for £5 on eBay yesterday. somehow my bid was rejected :o

Ya another case I liked. what ya mean by "ghetto mounting a 480 rad in the front"

Ya I agree. I think its best to bite the bullet and spend a few quid on a good case as it is something you will be able to work with in future builds.

The 800D is only built to house a 360mm rad on top but again with a bit of modding it can house a 480mm. Its why I have the TJ07 ahead in my books. That and the better build quality.

Hard to find a Silverstone TJ07 :(

• Advertisement

Hard to find a Silverstone TJ07 :(
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for ages now. I didn't want to mention it and get your hopes up :P

I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for ages now. I didn't want to mention it and get your hopes up :P

:D

Very hard to even find one tbh (dear or cheap)

Tea what did you mean by " ghetto mounting a 480 rad in the front"?

:D

Very hard to even find one tbh (dear or cheap)

Tea what did you mean by " ghetto mounting a 480 rad in the front"?

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=12002&cat=0&page=

Sure just throw it in when your ordering your watercooling gear :D

Its actually gone up in price lately - saw it for around gbp230 on scan last month i think.

****ing hell, my eyes my eyes lol

the price is ridiculous for an old case like that

If im mad enough to but that case, am i totally sorted for the Phobya Xtreme 400 Dual 200mm rad? no modding etc

Thought we figured out it wouldn't fit. Fan spaces too far apart. Two of the 200mm single rads might though. :P

No wonder alot dont do water cooling, its bloody headwrecking

Ghetto mounting with some velcro. :o

I think I found another option.

FT02 and a 540mm rad.

that'll be unreal if it doesn't take much modding.

www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-sst-ft02b-w-black-full-tower-aluminum-case-usb-30-with-side-window-w-o-psu

Headshot, how about you go win some more money and buy this:

www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-cosmos-ii-ultra-black-full-tower-aliminum-case-ultra-performance-with-usb-30-w-o-psu

problem solved. its the ultimate case.

Headshot, how about you go win some more money and buy this:

www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-cosmos-ii-ultra-black-full-tower-aliminum-case-ultra-performance-with-usb-30-w-o-psu

problem solved. its the ultimate case.

lol you mad tea that you think id spend 400 euro on a case :pac:

• Advertisement

Strip that cosmos II down with its fancy doors and stuff and its not all that different from the TJ07. Which is why even though its 3-4yrs old (I think) silverstone can still charge big money for it.

Advertisement