Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teabags and instant coffee-convenience gone mad

• 14-05-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why do people reject the proper way to make tea and coffee, namely, the use of proper tea leaves and freshly ground beans? No instant coffee tastes in any way like proper coffee and tea bag tea is muck.

Am I the only one who sticks rigidly to the making of proper tea and coffee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

NotSolazygal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You're not really lazy, are you?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No problem with tea bags, probably because I'm so used to them, you're right about the coffee though. Percolate that sh1t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

its tea not wine ffs :confused:

you drink it to stay/get warm not for the taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh my God who the hell cares?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Some of us prefer instant satisfaction. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

phasers wrote: »

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some of us prefer instant satisfaction. :)

Premature percolation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see how having tea leaves in a bag is any different to having tea leaves lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I think with coffee, it's kind of expensive to do the freshly ground thing, but I'm not sure of that, as I don't drink coffee.

As for tea, yeah, I'm lazy.
    IM0 wrote: »
    its tea not wine ffs

No, tea tastes lovely! :)

Yes.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how having tea leaves in a bag is any different to having tea leaves lose.

Well, apparently what ends up in teabags is the dregs, the stuff swept up off the floor, whatever passes the 5 second rules type thing. :)

• Advertisement

theres a bang of snotiness off this thread

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Well, apparently what ends up in teabags is the dregs, the stuff swept up off the floor, whatever passes the 5 second rules type thing. :)

you do realise that tea grows in a field....in dirt and mud...and is picked by PEASANTS... the horror!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Tea is tea is tea.....
    The proper coffee bean are a little different though ill give you that much, but all in all get over it!
    The same could be said about instant anything, people use them because of conveinience....so there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

you do realise that tea grows in a field....in dirt and mud...and is picked by PEASANTS... the horror!! :eek:

Don't forget the fly-sh1t, and all the other sh1t (mostly from the peasants).

Yes.

Um.. no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Although you can get some nice brands, I think it's the glue that the bags apparently use to stick together that tea connoisseurs don't like.

I could be wrong though, as I'm just a fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

its tea notwine ffs :confused:

Then why not just heat up some water and drink that?

And sure, you don't drink Lyons/Barrys/whatever for the taste, just like you wouldn't go out and buy a €3 box of wine and say you drink it for the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I agree about the coffee but not tea bags, they're grand. I haven't heard about this dregs business before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

its tea not wine ffs :confused:

Tea tastes great! And if taste wasn't a factor, why would people use sugar and milk to alter the flavour?!

twinQuins wrote: »
    And sure, you don't drink Lyons/Barrys/whatever for the taste, just like you wouldn't go out and buy a €3 box of wine and say you drink it to get drunk, not for the taste.
    All wine tastes the same to me :o

• Advertisement

Yo, I'm not the one who started the thread, and I'm only giving the reason why some people don't like teabags, I'm not saying I'm like this myself!

Um.. no?

That was agreement. Deadpan agreement.

All wine tastes the same to me :o

There are only 2 types of wine. Terrible wine and wine that's kind of alright. People are ridiculous about the stuff. There are as bad as My Little Pony enthusiasts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

On the one hand I don't have any problem with people preferring instant coffee, wither for convenience or taste. On the other, I hate when someone offers me a coffee and gives me instant crap. I'll drink it politely and say thank you very much, but I'd actually rather not drink it. But you can't really ask someone about their coffee before answering whether you'd like a cup.

And I don't really drink tea, but the bags are fine, although when people use leaves it's nicer.

Then why not just heat up some water and drink that?

because I want a cup of tea ;) and you cant put sugar and milk in water :eek:

because I want a cup of tea ;) and you cant put sugar and milk in water :eek:

Think about how rotten that is the next time you see someone with a weak cup of tea heaping a gallon of milk into it. Disgusting bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

because I want a cup of tea

But if you're not drinking it for the flavour why are you drinking it?
    and you cant put sugar and milk in water :eek:

Then heat up some milk and put sugar in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

convienience gone mad..i thought it was always gone mad,as most of the items in the tea coffee section in the supermarket are convienience,you see the beans and tea leaves only occupying half a shelf..I find the coffee beans superior to the instant alright,but its too expensive for me as im on a tight budget everytime i go to the supermarkets.They got some good coffee out there now,has anybody ever tried cafe azeria?(only 3 in dunnes)..or milicano,i find it very good,all you need is one (or one and a half) tea spoon for a good cup..

But if you're not drinking it for the flavour why are you drinking it?

Then heat up some milk and put sugar in it.

for the flavour. but not of the tea. black tea is yuck. I want a warm nice drink. add lots sugar and milk

done :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Can't beat proper freshly ground coffee but when I don't have the time (the morning) I've found that milicano is as close to real coffee. Gonna have to try the new nescafe one sometime soon. But if I have the time it's the grinder all the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

couldnt give a ****, tea is something that takes 2 minutes to make, I genuinely cant tell the difference between tea brands unless its some specific flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

Some people like the misery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I usually drink tea and coffee while working. I just want to grab it quickly and go back to what I'm doing. I don't want to turn making a hot drink into additional work in itself. I do think it's nicer when it's done properly though. If I went out to a café and paid for it and got instant/teabag I'd be quite disappointed.

That doesn't sound even remotely likely. In a production line there is no dregs swept off the floor, it's the same tea it's just one shot goes off to the tea bag line and the other gets put onto the box line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Premature percolation?

Indeed, sometimes it just takes a single dip and the coffee and cream are mixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

That doesn't sound even remotely likely. In a production line there is no dregs swept off the floor, it's the same tea it's just one shot goes off to the tea bag line and the other gets put onto the box line.

Not so, teabags are filled with the dregs that do not pass the quality test for tea sold as leaves (i.e the dusty stuff etc..) From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea#Black_tea "Tea leaves are packed into a small envelope (usually composed of paper) known as a tea bag. The use of tea bags is easy and convenient, making tea bags popular for many people today. However, the use of tea bags has negative aspects as well. The tea used in tea bags is commonly fannings or dust, the waste product produced from the sorting of higher quality loose leaf tea"

Once again, this is a reason I've heard put forward, I don't do go by this myself.

Rango555 wrote: »
    Not so, teabags are filled with the "dregs" that do not pass the quality test for tea sold as leaves (i.e the dusty stuff etc..)

you mean the Quali T test dont you

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Maybe I like the misery

misd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

lazygal wrote: »
    Why do people reject the proper way to make tea and coffee, namely, the use of proper tea leaves and freshly ground beans? No instant coffee tastes in any way like proper coffee and tea bag tea is muck.

what do you mean by proper?

• Advertisement

Rango555 wrote: »
    Not so, teabags are filled with the "dregs" that do not pass the quality test for tea sold as leaves (i.e the dusty stuff etc..)
    So they produce a majority of niche market teas and somehow end up with tons and tons (probably more tea than they put into the lose leave boxes) for the tea bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

So they produce a majority of niche market teas and somehow end up with tons and tons (probably more tea than they put into the lose leave boxes) for the tea bags?

The majority of tea is still sold as leaves... just not here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Teabags are the Devil's turds. I hate them. They should be banned. The only thing they are good for4 is when you leave a taxi you can put one in the drivers hand and say "have a drink on me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I don't drink tea and can't drink instant coffee. My Nespresso machine is one of my most prized possessions. So so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Teabags are the Devil's turds. I hate them. They should be banned. The only thing they are good for4 is when you leave a taxi you can put one in the drivers hand and say "have a drink on me".

That's what i'm talking about. Tea bags are gross. They never taste right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

The leaves in a bag are milled to a smaller size to go easily into the bag. The rate of infusion is different to normal tea leaves. This affects the taste. The final insult to the palate is the wrapping of these milled tea leaves in low grade toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I buy these and fill them with different types of tea, they're quite cheap.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5214/5384850842_cece3776fe_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Since i got a percolator i haven't had one cup of instant coffee, in fact the taste i remember from instant is a burnt stale taste.
    A nice french roast is delicious.

Tea is for old ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Loose tea all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think you've been mentioned over on the what type of person annoys you the most thread :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement