Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Lidl item advise needed

Options
  • 14-05-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I bought a saw months ago in Lidl i didnt even take it out of the box for a few months but set it up got it going every thing fine the second time i used it,it stoped working.

so i contacted customer services they put me on to the manufacturer i was told it would have to be sent for repair.

so of course ive the receipt mislaid and Lidl dont want to know me

so what are my rights in this case or have i any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

How did you pay?

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they will just go off the serial no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinylmatt

Is a green mitre saw with a piston for cutting wider pieces of wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i paid with cash

lidl put me through to Einhell in the uk but they do not want to know me either without a receipt.

its the Parkside brand Table saw and they are exclusive to lidl.so i hardly bought it any where else.and they are not an item that are in very often so when i bought it would not be an issue,all im told is there is a two year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinylmatt

I had a similar issue with a mitre saw, this one:

41%2Bo2NKQoKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Same deal, didn't have the receipt, spoke to Einheil, they told me I could have stolen the saw, so they couldn't help me. Bastards. I think I paid about 100 for it.

I took it apart to see if I could fix it, there was a wire between the two halves of the coils in the motor that had burned out, I replaced it and got another few months out of the saw, but for all its lasers and pistons it was a crock of ****, and it went again.

I bought a Bosch circular saw instead and it's much better.

mines the bench saw,your man in einhell more or less told me feck off and pay to get it fixed.

just a bit sick after been told how good lidl customer services were and i know for a fact in the past a family member had a saw it broke and they looked after it even though they had no reciept.

• Advertisement

As a last stab it isn't LILD branded anywhere is it?

They're CS is normally quite good to be fair but given the type of clientèle they attract (no offence to you OP I shop there too) you can understand why they are careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

They're CS is normally quite good to be fair but given the type of clientèle they attract (no offence to you OP I shop there too) you can understand why they are careful.

Just curious as to what sort of "clientèle" Lidl attracts? :confused:

That's not meant to be a slight on anyone. I live in Dublin 8 and am working class (well student working class). I spent a fair few years in retail and would hazard a guess that LIDL and ALDI both attract a fair share of shop lifters given the number of staff / layout of the stores and the 'cut price' ethos. From personal experaince the LIDL gets more dodgy characters in than does the Tesco here.

Thats not to say Tesco, Dunnes and M&S don't have their issues and not to say there aren't middle class people that nick.

I worked in Games retail and would say we attracted junkies because of the product more than a camping store would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Id say try another lidl store, usually they take stuff back straight away. Op, you other option it to write to lidl stating you want to make a claim under the sgsa and ypu will only deal with the store as it is them you have the contract with. Give them 10 to come up with a solution. If you get nowhere, you might have to look into the scc.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Id say try another lidl store, usually they take stuff back straight away. Op, you other option it to write to lidl stating you want to make a claim under the sgsa and ypu will only deal with the store as it is them you have the contract with. Give them 10 to come up with a solution. If you get nowhere, you might have to look into the scc.

Which is going to be of no use if he doesn't have proof of purchase.

That said chancing another store is actually quite a good idea.

• Advertisement

i rang them them i never went to the store,but i was told by the customer rep not to bother going to the store as it will get no hearing from anyone instore

but im guessing bar a stab a the SCC ive little or no rights no matter how faulty the goods are

well its parkside and thats a lidl brand

You can't go to the SCC without proof of purchase.

That said if it's their brand and someone can confirm that - that would be enough to take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Box it up and the wait a few months until they sell it again . Then the day after it goes on sale take it back to lidl and tell the staff you want a replacement no refund just a working replacement they will normally do it if you are firm but polite. I have bought a few pieces of parkside branded equipment and I really dont rate it very much

OR buy a new one - put the old one in that box and return it with the new receipt and tell them you want a refund.

Also next time you buy shoes keep the box and put it in the bottom of a press. Every time you buy something over €20 chuck the receipt in the shoe box. You don't need a better filing system than that tbh.

they would not be an item that would be for sale that often and while its a good idea in a way but if you did not get a refund you would be stuck with two saws,

i chatted the lads in the local hardware they are selling the same saw branded as the manufacturer Einhell and even if i had bought a saw off them they would sort it out receipt or not.

it might be an expensive lesson keep the receipt and never spend big money on anything bar food in LIDL

I'm meant to be revising so leave this one with me but I half remember if it's an 'own brand' or 'if the shop assistant' remembers you these are 'proof of purchase'. I need to track down whether this is English law only or total BS :D

I do remember getting that info from Irish retail training though.

cheers

Advertisement