Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to rehome my dog?

• 14-05-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to re-home my dog, he's a two year old Border collie/spaniel cross. He's an absolutely lovely dog, and I love him to bits, but unfortunately given my set up at home, it's just not suitable for him. He's a very obedient and smart dog, but he's also very very energetic and needs large open spaces/long walks to keep him occupied.

However, I'm not entirely sure about how to go about re-homing him. I could put him in a rescue, but I have heard (and I know very little about this so I could be wrong) that if they do not find a home for him soon enough, they could put him down. Which I do not want in any case.

I could advertise on donedeal.ie etc, but you never really know who you're giving them to with websites like that.

Could anybody recommend how best to go about this? Despite giving the dog away I really do love him, so I want to make sure he gets the best home he possibly can.

I'm based in Cork if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There are a couple of ways that you could go about rehoming, rescues as you mentioned is one. Most rescues do operate under a no kill policy, however you will have to check with each of the specific rescues on their specific policies. We are not allowed to talk about specific rescues by name on here but if you want I can recommend a couple that I deal with personally via pm. Also just so you know you could be waiting a while for a rescue to take him, they are inundated with calls for help so space and funding are massive issues for them.

You could rehome him yourself by putting him on the rehoming thread, irishanimals website etc. I would not personally recommend that you put him on Donedeal but that is your own choice, I certainly wouldn't recommend that you put him up as free to a good home on DD as this can attract some unsavoury people. Also if you do decide to rehome him yourself make sure that you organize a homecheck whereby someone can go and check out the home of those who will be rehoming the dog and ensure that it is suitable for the dog.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

:( Kindest thing to do would be to ask rescues to advertise him, while you keep hold of him. Very unfair to put him in kennels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Yeah, DoneDeal is a no go for me, I wouldn't want to attract anyone who wouldn't have the dog's best interests in mind.

If you could PM me those rescues you would recommend I would appreciate it, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh that's a good idea, if you can contact as many rescues as you can in your area but also in the nearest counties as well and provide them with a photo and details of the dog e.g. age, personality, age, kind of home you are looking for, health/vaccinations/neutering info. You should also put that there will be a home check and (some) rescues will generally put the dog on their homes needed section of their website with contact details of yours so people can contact you directly. That way he stays with you until he has the right home and if there are any issues he can be returned to you.

You probably have considered these options before or even if you still plan to rehome him you could do this in the mean time while you're waiting there are a few dog training and agility classes he could possibly go to I think one is called the coco dog club there might be some nearer to you that might be worth checking out. Agility classes would help get rid of the extra energy, or there might be another doggy person in your area that goes to these classes and could help with transport if transport was an issue.

The other option (again even if it's only while you are waiting for a home for him) would be to hire a dog walker, they walk like the hammers a lot of these dog walkers lol you often see them in towns flying along so someone like that might help ease the pressure of you when it comes to walks during the week I don't think there too pricey not sure what they charge but might be worth it even twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op, first thing you need to do is get him neutered. This is a must if you are going thru any rescue.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I have him neutered already. I think for the moment I'm just going to have rescue sites advertise and hopefully the right person will come along for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If at all possible interview the people and visit their homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If you are going to advertise him yourself I would recommend asking whoever is going to rehome him to make a donation to some charity of your choice. If they have a problem with that and just want a "free" dog, I wouldn't give the dog over, as if they have a issue spending money to get the dog imagine if he got sick etc would they get him treated properly etc.
    Good luck! I was in your postion before and it was very difficult trying to find the right home!

That's very good advice actually, I would never have thought of that. Thank you!

Advertisement