Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake smells like cat p*ss!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Baked a wheat/sugar free cake yesterday and it smells like ammonia.

It was baked in a small rectangular loaf tin, and the bottom half of the baked cake is slightly "grayer" than the top.

Ingredients:

4 Eggs
    200g almond flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    25 sacharrin tabs
    1 tsp vanilla extract

The loaf tin and mixing bowl were clean.

It's a mystery. Tastes not great, but smells worse than it tastes.

I made a similar one with added lemons last week and it was fine. The only difference I can think of this time is I used my mother's baking powder as I was doing some DIY at her place at the time.

Could it be that the baking soda was gone off?

It rose okay.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Baking soda is a great deodoriser, you can leave a plate of it in the fridge to get rid of smells like garlic or onions. You can leave it in shoes too.

Problem is it absorbs these smells which would then impart a taste if you used this 'spent baking soda' in bread/cake.

A test would be to add a teaspoon the suspect baking soda to a glass of water and have a sip. I drink this as an antacid, I found one old bag in the back of the press which was opened and I had to throw it out, had a horrible dank fishy smell/taste, the water makes if far more obvious. Must have absorbed smells as it was open so long.

I now store mine in glass jars, try and get a non-smelly jar, like one that had carrots in it, rather than minced garlic or something. You can stick in a dishwasher and then add water and baking soda to your jar to absorb smells, then dry out and store your baking soda in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do you have a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

Do you have a cat?

There is a cat, yes.

If my mum, god bless her, left the oven door open while the cake was cooling, would the cat not have eaten the cake, instead of peeing in it?

I know cats can be a bit weird. Her cat, she says, always uses it's litter tray.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ukonline wrote: »
    There is a cat, yes.

If my mum, god bless her, left the oven door open while the cake was cooling, would the cat not have eaten the cake, instead of peeing in it?

I know cats can be a bit weird. Her cat, she says, always uses it's litter tray.

:eek:

Maybe he pissed in one or other of the ingredients, rather than the final product :P

Advertisement