Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Strap Molasses and bok choi

Options
  • 14-05-2012 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get the two items in the thread title. I've looked in Dunnes Store and Tescos and haven't had any luck.

I live in Mullingar and there are no Oriental shops near me.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to purchase them please?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

i've gotten back strap molasses in a health food shop previously - and i've gotten pak choi (similar if not the same as bok choi) in tescos in Wexford and dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Dinkie wrote: »
    i've gotten back strap molasses in a health food shop previously - and i've gotten pak choi (similar if not the same as bok choi) in tescos in Wexford and dublin.
    Thanks so much for your reply.

I've had a look on Google and it seems that Bok choi and pak choi are the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cabbage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.kelkin.ie/prod_black-strap-molasses.html

This is what I bought when I needed it for a recipe from the Cooking Club and I got it in a small Supervalu in Dublin. Hope you find it. It was in the health food section.
    Not sure on the bok choi end.

http://www.kelkin.ie/prod_black-strap-molasses.html

This is what I bought when I needed it for a recipe from the Cooking Club and I got it in a small Supervalu in Dublin. Hope you find it. It was in the health food section.
    Not sure on the bok choi end.
    Thanks so much, I'll have a look in my local Supervalu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Surprised it wasn't in Dunnes or Tesco. Did you ask? I had to in Supervalu as it wasn't near the honey or peanut butter, sauces, etc.

• Advertisement

Surprised it wasn't in Dunnes or Tesco. Did you ask? I had to in Supervalu as it wasn't near the honey or peanut butter, sauces, etc.
    I did ask for it in Tesco, the guy I asked looked in the aisle with the spices, baking stuff and when he couldn't find it, said they don't have it.

I must have a look in Supervalu this week.

Back with another question :o

Can anyone suggest somewhere that stocks Harissa? The neareast supermarkets to me are Aldi, Supervalu, Tesco and Dunnes Stores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tesco should have it. I've seen it as part of their Ingredients range.

Back with another question :o

Can anyone suggest somewhere that stocks Harissa? The neareast supermarkets to me are Aldi, Supervalu, Tesco and Dunnes Stores.

The Tesco one isn't very hot though. Darina Allen's how to cook one has a really easy recipe if you fancy making it your self (sorry, I don't have the book and I've lost the recipe). You just blend up some chillis and herbs with some oil. It takes about 30 seconds and tastes yum.

Thanks a million for the replies guys.

I found this recipe, Dinkie, is the correct one do you know?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/arabianspicedrackofl_87188

I have all the ingredients so can make it myself :)

• Advertisement

Hi

It looks fairly similar as far as i remember except I don't remember putting the chillis in boiling water! I may have though. I made it for Christmas pressies a couple years ago. I'm going to try that recipe myself this weekend now you've put it in my head :)

Let me know how you get on!

Another question :o

Does anyone know if Dunnes Stores or SuperValu (preferably Dunnes) sell red pepper flakes?

If not, does Tesco sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd imagine that you could get them in all three. Check out the 'Spice' section.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I've found that my local tesco doesn't always stock bok choi and to my surprise I stumbled upon it rather unexpectedly in my local Lidl. Just a heads up:)

I looked in Dunnes and Supervalu and neither had the red pepper flakes, so I've used Paprika and Cayenne chilli pepper on the meat, hope it doesn't burn the mouth off me :o

Also came across the Kelkin black strap molasses in Supervalu for between €3 and €4 and found a tub twice the size in Holland & Barretts for about €3, can't remember the brand of the molasses in Holland and Barretts, but it was a big jar, about 900g and had a brown/cream label on it and the bottle was a brown colour.

H&B also had their own brand molasses 454g was the same (or very similar) price to the 900g jar of it.

Not sure if that's any use to anyone, but said I'd throw it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

I looked in Dunnes and Supervalu and neither had the red pepper flakes, so I've used Paprika and Cayenne chilli pepper on the meat, hope it doesn't burn the mouth off me :o

Red pepper flakes are the same as chilli flakes, you should find them in the spice section.

Red pepper flakes are the same as chilli flakes, you should find them in the spice section.
    Cheers for that, hadn't realised they were the same, I actually do have a jar of chilli flakes :)

Advertisement