Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicep tendonitis from Squatting?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Story,

In the middle (probably near the end) of starting strength program. Squats currently sitting at 140kg, all is going well. However...

Ive noticed pain the last week after I started throwing a NFL ball after a workout. The pain originates in the bicep from what seems to be the elbow to the bicep and my arm basically feels like its gone dead (like someone hit it really hard and gave me a dead arm). It seems like the heavy squats are the cause of it because ive no problems with deadlifts or chins/pulls.

Im using Lowbar squat (rippetoe low bar) and if I say so myself my form is pretty damn good (not wanting to sound like a arsehole :P ).

So has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? seems like a case of repetetive strain injury perhaps?? should I use a wider grip? If I do this will I lose much tightness in the upper back? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I could write the book about this complaint. I've really small joints and seem to suffer this more than most. I've gained a lot of relief from bicep curls though. Add them in after every squat session and every session if possible.

Yes I'm advising you to bicep curl every session. It not only helps with the pain in the days after a squat session, it helps prevent the pain developing in the first place. It's really the only thing that works.

<Insert science bit about why it works here>

Might also be worth investing in a pair of elbow sleeves. Not sure if they really help but keeping the joint warm seems like a good idea and I always wear them. I got a pair of Vulcan ones off amazon. They're grand although I have absolutely no frame of reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    I could write the book about this complaint. I've really small joints and seem to suffer this more than most. I've gained a lot of relief from bicep curls though. Add them in after every squat session and every session if possible.

Yes I'm advising you to bicep curl every session. It not only helps with the pain in the days after a squat session, it helps prevent the pain developing in the first place. It's really the only thing that works.

<Insert science bit about why it works here>

Might also be worth investing in a pair of elbow sleeves. Not sure if they really help but keeping the joint warm seems like a good idea and I always wear them. I got a pair of Vulcan ones off amazon. They're grand although I have absolutely no frame of reference.

100% this. Been saying the same for the best part of half a decade (*how "experienced" does that make me sound :D). It's worked for a lot of people, don't know for sure why.

Could probably throw out a theory about increased blood flow helping recovery because blood supply to tendons during the normal course of activity is notoriously slow. Which also makes me wonder if something like cross friction massage would be effective since it's supposed to do wonders for tendonitis.

But anyway, curl. Lots. I prefer high reps - 12 to 15/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Story,

In the middle (probably near the end) of starting strength program. Squats currently sitting at 140kg, all is going well. However...

Ive noticed pain the last week after I started throwing a NFL ball after a workout. The pain originates in the bicep from what seems to be the elbow to the bicep and my arm basically feels like its gone dead (like someone hit it really hard and gave me a dead arm). It seems like the heavy squats are the cause of it because ive no problems with deadlifts or chins/pulls.

Im using Lowbar squat (rippetoe low bar) and if I say so myself my form is pretty damn good (not wanting to sound like a arsehole :P ).

So has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? seems like a case of repetetive strain injury perhaps?? should I use a wider grip? If I do this will I lose much tightness in the upper back? Any ideas?

Thanks

What fixed this for me was hockey ball in the pec tendon beforehand and lying on a bench with a couple of moderate weight dumbells 12kg is quite good for 2-3 minutes in the bottom position of a bench press relaxing as much as possible to allow them to loosen out the front delt and pec area.
    Wrist wraps are helpful too for improving things by reducing torque on the elbow when used with a thumbless grip.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

daveyc21 wrote: »
    What fixed this for me was hockey ball in the pec tendon beforehand and lying on a bench with a couple of moderate weight dumbells 12kg is quite good for 2-3 minutes in the bottom position of a bench press relaxing as much as possible to allow them to loosen out the front delt and pec area.
    Wrist wraps are helpful too for improving things by reducing torque on the elbow when used with a thumbless grip.

For some reason I never thought of wearing wrist wraps when squatting. Given my recent elbow troubles, I reckon it's worth trying.

As part of the afore mentioned troubles, my PT spent a lot of time looseing out my pecs and front delts, I was a bit confused at first but it was really effective.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

For some reason I never thought of wearing wrist wraps when squatting. Given my recent elbow troubles, I reckon it's worth trying.

As part of the afore mentioned troubles, my PT spent a lot of time looseing out my pecs and front delts, I was a bit confused at first but it was really effective.

The wrist wraps are probably only ever going to mask the issue and delay the eventuality of you being crocked.

The pec/delt thing makes sense because if you're having trouble getting in position, you'r going to end up torquing the absolute hell out of your elbows to compensate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

Couldn't you have hurt your bicep throwing the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

real stig wrote: »
    Couldn't you have hurt your bicep throwing the football?

No it was definatly the squats.

I would like to add that shoulder dislocations are another addition to helping the bicep pain during squatting.

Id like to thank everyone for the hints here, some things I never really thought of. To tell you the truth though I took aweek off squating and when I came back the pain was gone. This may be a short term relieve however so I will definatly start doing the curling addition.

Advertisement