Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL ENGLISH & OL ENGLISH (Differences)

• 14-05-2012 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can anyone please explain to me what the differences are in the paper 1 in ordinary and hgher level english?

Is there a higher caliber of understanding required in the comprehensions and is there more precise detail required in the fuctional writing (B) questions?

Also, do the comprehensions have to be longer and have a higher level of vocabulary in them?

Or is there basically no difference in the paper 1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Of course there has to be a higher standard - otherwise OL students would have a very hard time getting a good grade. I do higher English so I dont know for sure but even by looking at the titles its a lot more basic, e.g. "a story with something unexpected" versus "a story where two eccentric characters meet for the first time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've done both ordinary and honours.
    In ordinary the texts are quite easy I would say it's more like the honours at the junior cert level. The questions are similar to the honours except I don't think you get asked to analyse the style of writing used in the texts(I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing a question like this in OL) and they're are only two questions then the B part whereas the honours you have three questions on the text. The paper is generally the same layout. You're just expected to write more. Paper 2 where most of the differences between OL and HL are.

Advertisement