Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road survey n55

Options
  • 14-05-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what they're surveying /measuring along the N55 at Granard. Coils of wire all along the verge and some equipment every few tens of meters. Saw the same thing at kinnegad a few weeks bqck - stretched for about 6 k or more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Were they coils of red cable? And maybe black also?
    Between Castlepollard and Coole there were markers placed every 10 mtrs (roughly) along the roadside a few weeks back. Last week some guys in English reg (or possibly N I ) motorway maintainence vehicles were laying these cables beside the markers.
    Driving up there today, I noticed that the markers and cables have gone but theres no sign of any cables been buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

KAGY wrote: »
    Anyone know what they're surveying /measuring along the N55 at Granard. Coils of wire all along the verge and some equipment every few tens of meters. Saw the same thing at kinnegad a few weeks bqck - stretched for about 6 k or more.
    a company is testing the land for any valuable minerals. A convoy of lorrys will be used to set of vibrations and send signals to aerial type devices set up in different areas. Got a letter the other day about it. It stated the vibrations are safe and wont cause damage to house structures! Never heard a thing about it until notice arrived. I wonder is this how the process of fracking in Leitrim/Fermanagh begun. http://m.longfordleader.ie/news/local/exploration-for-valuable-minerals-in-co-longford-1-3822699

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I was chatting to one of the guys working on the road. He said they are looking for zinc deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lte

Lead/zinc prospecting mainly. The process is called Vibroseis - basically, a truck vibrates the ground and sensors spread out over a wide area listen for the echoes.

Example of a Vibroseis truck in action:

All these return signals are processed to generate a image showing the geological profile of the ground. The sensors are called geophones; these are the devices connected by cable that can run for a few kms along the roadside.

The vibration pattern is a specially designed - here's a good technical overview of the vibroseis process for anyone interested [pdf].

Advertisement