Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassett Hound Pups

• 14-05-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this:

I'm looking for a Bassett Hound but I can't get over the prices of them, is about €300 what they usually go for? I would love to rehome a dog but I have a 15 month old baby so would prefer to get a puppy. Would anybody know of anyone selling them at the moment for about half the going rate?

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

If there's people selling them for half the going rate then chances are you're getting a puppy farm or back yard breeder pup.
    Don't buy a pup from anyone unless you've done your research and seen all the health test certs and the mother dog and the conditions her and the pups are living in.
    There's good info in the sticky and some of the other threads here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

€300 is fairly cheap, a good well bred Basset could set you back at least €400+ if not quite a bit more.
    Always ask to see health certs for parents (both parents) as Bassets are prone to quite a few health problems.
    If you try the Irish Kennel Club website you'll find a contact for the breed club, give them a call and ask what health checks you should look for and if they know any breeders with pups.
    A badly bred Basset will cost you a lot more in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Violet_12 wrote: »
    Hi there

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this:

I'm looking for a Bassett Hound but I can't get over the prices of them, is about €300 what they usually go for? I would love to rehome a dog but I have a 15 month old baby so would prefer to get a puppy. Would anybody know of anyone selling them at the moment for about half the going rate?

Any advice would be welcome.

Have you done your research on how to properly look after a puppy? Trust me they are an incredible amount of work and consume a lot of time, make sure you consider that in the context of your lifestyle with your own baby before you commit to taking on another "baby".

I have a basset hound and yes properly bred puppies are that much and more. Anyone selling "cheap" purebred puppies are likely to be puppy-farmers (who are scum) or people who haven't a clue what they're at. Bassets can have a lot of health problems and they can be heart breaking and extremely expensive.
    Our guy has allergy, digestive, chronic ear and skin problems, and we're in the vets so often we're becoming close friends! For instance we've spent over a thousand euros in the last 2 months alone paying for his vet and medication bills. He's only 2 years old.

Our basset was a rescue at 4 months old because the people who got him as a puppy (from what sounded like a puppy farm to me) couldn't handle his increasing size or his very willful nature. They were new parents and I think they thought the floppy eared cuteness was exactly what they wanted for their kid to grow up with, without doing any research on the breed. Now we fell in love with him, and he's a dote. But he's also big and heavy, messy and very very slobbery, sheds an unbelievable amount, is very stubborn and hard to train, willful and a bit of a bully, needy and sensitive. He has a bark that will carry for miles and loves to jump all over you and will barrel into you with the force of a freight train. He digs our flower beds, chews up trees (actually chews branches off living trees), and as a pup shredded skirting boards, chairs, tables, many many blankets and towels, every bed we ever bought him, fences, doors, wire stapled to our house, gutter down pipe ...the list goes on. They absolutely LOVE company and will pine terribly if left alone, so either they need a stay-at-home owner or at the minimum a doggie pal to live with.

So my advice is, make sure you really want a puppy, then make sure you really really want a basset hound (do a lot of research), then hunt down a really good decent small scale breeder of working line bassets rather than show "quality" line (usually healthier) and pay the premium for a health checked and scored pup from health checked and scored parents. Then commit to keeping him company and really working on his socialization and training. And for God's sake make sure you get pet insurance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Violet_12

Thanks for all your replies. I realise now why the puppies are so expensive and that's because they come from well bred lines. I've kind of decided against a puppy, simply because I have a Border Collie at the moment who is the most precious thing in the world, as well as my 15 month old and I don't really want to take the risk of adding another dog into that especially with my daughter around. I thought it would be nice to have another one to keep my collie company during the day but I don't really want to upset things.

Thanks for all your advice, its much appreciated.

Advertisement