Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany: Emigrating there

Options
  • 14-05-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I need some Advice im new to boards.ie but have always sought answers here just never bothered to register as the answers were here without having to register and ask them.

but this time no answers are forth coming.

so on to the task .

we are leaving dublin for work in august and had a plan of bringing the following.

roughly...
    1 double bed [flat packed]
    1 toddler bed [flat packed]
    2 chest of drawers [flat packed]
    1 pc desk [flat packed]

tv
    pc
    and about 30 packed boxes.

the question is do i need to bring all the furniture ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mattlang wrote: »
    I need some Advice im new to boards.ie but have always sought answers here just never bothered to register as the answers were here without having to register and ask them.

but this time no answers are forth coming.

so on to the task .

we are leaving dublin for work in august and had a plan of bringing the following.

roughly...
    1 double bed [flat packed]
    1 toddler bed [flat packed]
    2 chest of drawers [flat packed]
    1 pc desk [flat packed]

tv
    pc
    and about 30 packed boxes.

the question is do i need to bring all the furniture ?

Need more info. Have you a job lined up? Are the company paying for accommodation? If not, have you something lined up?

Apartments and houses come unfurnished, there won't even be light fixtures. Some places won't have a kitchen. So, you most likely will need to bring whatever you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mattlang

Have you a job lined up?
    No job lined up but applying every day for jobs.

Are the company paying for accommodation?
    N/A not even sure how that works.

have you something lined up?
    in terms of accommodation nothing lined up.
    but looking, i know all about the lack of anything including no kitchen :)

im more worried about the initial cost of the move to there im getting quotes of more than €1700 + vat. to an unemployed person thats ALOT of money.

For me, personally there is nothing left here worth staying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Yes, getting settled in Germany can be very expensive. Most apartments are only available through an agent who will charge you two months' rent plus VAT (a total of 2.38 times the monthly rent). On top of that, you have to pay the deposit (up to three months' rent) and the first month's rent.

So you have to fork out 6.38 monthly rents just get the keys to an apartment.

You can reduce this if you find an apartment offered by the owner directly (saving the agent's fee) and by paying the deposit in three monthly installments. In this case, you pay only 2 monthly rents to get the keys. Still, a lot of money.

Getting a job may or may not be hard, depending on your language skills and profession. In most jobs, good German is essential. In fields that are more internationally orientated and in high demand, you may get away with English only (IT, engineering). In general, the economic situation is much better in Germany than it is in Ireland but there is no minimum wage and in some professions, you end up earning joke money.

It is true that many apartments come completely empty. My current apartment came with a fully equipped kitchen, a washing machine the landlord no longer needed and lighting fixtures in all rooms. You can get lucky like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mattlang

i have alot of certificates in a wide range of things

A+ cert in pc maintenance

fetac lvl 5 in both IT and database and warehouse management.

reach and counter reach forklift license

years of mechanical skills (motorcycle maintenance and starter motor and alternator maintenance and reconditioning)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

What part are you moving too? Are you moving your dole to germany for 3 months while looking for work? After 3 months you can apply for another 3 months? Did you know if you have no income you can be sent home. Even if you are an EU citizen.

There are a lot of Irish in Germany over 10,000 last count so try find some in the city your going too. It would have helped me with my move here if I know someone to ask advice of.

I wish you well and after living in Dublin for near 40 years Germany is one of the best options for Irish people now. Learn some German quite it will help.

Good Luck!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jaysus, talk about cart before horse.
    Dont worry about bringing all your stuff at the very beginning.

Sure heck, if you are only getting set up then just go for your normal flat share which is 300odd a month and the room should come with bed and all that.

Even if you get a flat and its unfurnished and you dont have your stuff over yet, you can get set up with a bed from Ikea for less than a 100 euro. Or search one of the ex pat fourms and it'll be cheaper. Actually, fourms like toytowngermany.com are full of people looking to flog furniture and other household bumpf before buggering off again to USA/ UK etc.
    (we bought our childs cot off a couple heading back to Chile for example!)
    So you could get setup (with furniture) for way less than 1700 euro so long as you just dont accept an apartment with no kitchen and do a few runs with full suitcases over and back to Ireland.
    BTW, you can also check in a cardboard box when flying which is lighter and doesnt have to be brought back empty on one of the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mattlang wrote: »
    For me, personally there is nothing left here worth staying for.

But you would have even less if you move to Germany. I'm not sure if you would even be entitled to Hartz IV. Social welfare here is nowhere near the luxury it is in Ireland. If you were entitled you would have to take an apartment that meets strict criteria defined by the Arbeitsamt and you would then have around €400 a month to live from.

You seem to be getting very ahead of yourself. If you don't have a job lined up then don't worry about moving anything over. I would concentrate on getting a job and passing your Probezeit (usually 6 months) and then look into these sort of things.

Check out toytown as mentioned earlier. They also have a jobs section that filters out English based jobs from the main job portals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jester77 wrote: »
    But you would have even less if you move to Germany. I'm not sure if you would even be entitled to Hartz IV. Social welfare here is nowhere near the luxury it is in Ireland. If you were entitled you would have to take an apartment that meets strict criteria defined by the Arbeitsamt and you would then have around €400 a month to live from.

You seem to be getting very ahead of yourself. If you don't have a job lined up then don't worry about moving anything over. I would concentrate on getting a job and passing your Probezeit (usually 6 months) and then look into these sort of things.

Check out toytown as mentioned earlier. They also have a jobs section that filters out English based jobs from the main job portals.

He wouldn't be entitled to an Social Welfare payment in Germany, you claim your dole in the country where you worked previously.

E.G. I live in the Netherlands and work in Germany. If I become unemployed I claim from the German system in the Netherlands.

Advertisement