Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Questions and opening a bank account

Options
  • 14-05-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Wife had a girl Zara who is 3 weeks old now and doing really well, we are going to christen her after about 3 months, as this is our first do we have to do a pre christening course like the marriage one. We have been told this is the new thing but not sure.

Did anyone open up a bank account, going to put all the family allowance in and let it build up for later years, would you be hit with yearly fees if you put it in both names?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No, you don't have to do any course for a christening

I don't know about bank fees...you could put the account on just the child's name...just check with the social welfare that the payment can't be put into the account of a minor. Though you could just transfer it over if not. Lovely idea though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never heard of a pre christening course. We met with the priest in advance to discuss, but that's all.

There are accounts especially for child benefit if that's what you mean by family allowance. They are exempt from DIRT.

http://www.statesavings.ie/products/Pages/ChildcarePlus.aspx

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my friends had to do a christening course for 2 of their 3,

it was one night a week for 4 week - i was the baby sitter

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my friends had to do a christening course for 2 of their 3,

it was one night a week for 4 weeks - i was the baby sitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

dont know about the bank end of things but i remember purple mentioning that we had to do a christening course so i googled my local church and heres what it says.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Baptisms [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First and third Sundays (only) of the month at 1.00pm (sharp), Three weeks notice is required. Arrangements for Baptism should be made in the Parish Office on Sundays between 11.30 a.m. and 12.15 p.m. A Baptism Preparation Course must be undertaken by parents."[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]O.P. you might be better of searching your church online. if you do find it the info should be under "parish services"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

We had to do a pre christening course last month - it was an hour....

Ebs are doing a fee free child's savings account. You will need your I D, prsi number, photo ID etc plus the child's birth cert and prsi no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You'll have to get onto your local priest or ask someone in the area about the christening course. I suppose it depends on the parish.

As for the bank a/c, my advice is to do your research. I remember looking into this when my wee man was born and some of the a/c that are advertised as child benefit saving ones don't have the best interest rates and/or have restrictions on withdrawals. You're better off looking up €150 per month savings accounts. I had intended saving this too for college etc, but once the wee fella went to the childminders, I found I really needed it (it paid for one week:rolleyes:) and just picked it up in cash at the PO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On the bank accounts... Www.bonkers.ie is a good place to check.

Be aware that AER rates do not include the DIRT tax you pay.
    So, as the state savings ones are DIRT exempt, you need to find a commercial interest rate of AER 4.5% or higher to beat the DIRT free 3.37% AER.

1000 state savings at 3.37% over one year earns 33.70, no DIRT due.
    1000 retail bank savings Account at 4.5% gets 45 euro, of which 25% goes in DIRT, leaving you with 33.75
    1000 retail bank savings at 4.0% gets 45 euro, less 25% DIRT, leaving you with 30.

I haven't been able to find a savings account higher than 4.0% with ulster bank, which I have my own savings in... But the childcare plus one is still a better net rate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

We had to do a pre-christening course.
    I opened a safari account with PTSB and I have her childrens allowence lodged directly into that account, no problem

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A child can not have a bank or credit union account until they are 7 so you put it in your name with their name on the account too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A child can not have a bank or credit union account until they are 7 so you put it in your name with their name on the account too.

The account is in my child's name, I have access to it but it's in her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

I think it's best you check with your own Parish regarding the Christening course. We had ours a month ago and we had to attend a pre-Christening meeting. Also, the Baptismal team wanted to call out to our house 'for a chat', which I blankly refused, on hearing the parents who did invite them out, it was nothing more than having a good nosey if you ask me. Where as the church 5 minutes down the road in a different Parish had no meeting or callers to the house for the parents. Lucky them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 celticopia

Anyone out there not christening their baby? I feel like a hypocrite doing this with the catholic church, but I still want my baby to have her welcome party here in Ireland. Any ideas on what way to frame this for the culture here? Baby Welcome party maybe? It's not that I am not a traditionalist, but I was raised catholic and don't want to raise her that way, just want to expose her to christian life and values and let her choose her own religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didnt christen/baptise my two kids. I wanted to have a naming ceremony but I got pregnant again before I got around to it.

To be honest I just felt like if we did have a naming ceremony I'd just waste my time banning people from buying presents for the baby. I knew I didnt want more presents and I really loved just inviting over each family to the house to welcome each child.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 celticopia

Yeah in a way its nice to do that with each family individually, I think at the end of the day I want to celebrate her arrival, I want to share our joy with everyone and show how happy we are that she is here.

Advertisement