Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can't get past activation

• 14-05-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hey guys

I was given an iphone 3gs on Saturday and got it unlocked the same day. Today I connected it to the computer through itune's and it somehow did a backup and told me to restore which I stupidly did without thinking. Now it wont let me past the activation screen.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed or do i just have a large paperweight now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

What way was it unlocked and what network was it locked to. To activate it just use a sim from whatever network it was on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I assume you'll have to activate it using the correct sim and then jailbreak it again.

Does any of the current jailbreaks hacktivate. Limera1n could hacktivate an iPhone but I don't know what would happen if you used it on the latest firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

It was locked to the o2 network but when i tried an o2 sim card it still wouldn't work. I got it unlocked in a shop using an app called cydia.

Presuming you were charged for the unlock you paid for something which is free. Was the 02 sim active and is it locked to 02 uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

all current redsn0w jailbreaks will hacktivate the phone for you, you just want to hope your still on a compatible baseband for ultrasn0w to unlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The reason it won't activate is because you had it jailbroken before. Probably by running the iPad baseband on the phone. So now that you have the restored it iOS won't activate.

Same thing happened me. Cousin dropped up his 3GS, it wouldn't turn on. Restored it in DFU mode and installed the latest iOS. Wouldn't activate.

I got really lucky with it. I was able to jailbreak the iPhone using redsn0w I think. But still couldn't pass the iOS 5 set up screen. But theres a way of getting past it by making an emergency call but i've seen other ways like this.

From there I went into Cydia and hacktivated the phone and then installed the carrier unlock. Hopefully you can find a way.

Not sure if you can do it with the latest iOS update though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The reason it won't activate is because you had it jailbroken before. Probably by running the iPad baseband on the phone. So now that you have the restored it iOS won't activate.

Same thing happened me. Cousin dropped up his 3GS, it wouldn't turn on. Restored it in DFU mode and installed the latest iOS. Wouldn't activate.

I got really lucky with it. I was able to jailbreak the iPhone using redsn0w I think. But still couldn't pass the iOS 5 set up screen. But theres a way of getting past it by making an emergency call but i've seen other ways like this.

From there I went into Cydia and hacktivated the phone and then installed the carrier unlock. Hopefully you can find a way.

Not sure if you can do it with the latest iOS update though.
    Do you know the difference between activation and the phone being sim locked. If the phone isn't activated you can't do anything other than turn it on and off. You don't even get as far as the home screen so I'm baffled how you activated it after doing something in cydia

guil wrote: »
    Do you know the difference between activation and the phone being sim locked. If the phone isn't activated you can't do anything other than turn it on and off. You don't even get as far as the home screen so I'm baffled how you activated it after doing something in cydia

I used Redsn0w to install a custom version of iOS 5. Which jailbroke the phone but it was still stuck on the grey iOS 5 set up screen. If you watch the video I linked to on the previous post it shows you how to get to the Home Screen without activating the phone. From there you can access the Cydia app and hacktivate the iPhone. After it's activated you can install the Ultrasn0w repo through Cydia and thats the phone sorted.

I done it on my cousins 3GS and he has been using it on Meteor ever since.

BTW I think the hacktivation method I used at the time was something called SAM or similar. Not too sure off there top of my head but if you google it you should get some results.

I apologise. Didn't realise there was a way to do that on ios 5 but as you say it might not work on the latest software

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    I apologise. Didn't realise there was a way to do that on ios 5 but as you say it might not work on the latest software

Yeah I think you can still get to the homescreen through the little trick but not sure if it can be jailbroken and if it can, not sure if it can then be hacktivated. I'm sure a bit of googling from the OP should offer some answers.

Advertisement