Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

• 14-05-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Ok so I literally can't remember the last time I studied Geography. It's a painfully boring subject and my teacher is an absolute idiot. I suppose I gotta start now :/! Would anyone be able to just list out some of the more important questions/essays? I generally just waffle on the spot and have been getting C's but I'd like a B and am willing to put in a bit of effort into it from here on in. It's just that there are so so so many different answers that we are meant to learn, and I dunno if lets say if I'm meant to learn the answer for river process and/or sea processes? Is it one or the other? Thats just one thing, really don't have a clue what the course is about, other than the biome which I studied in 5th year I think:L :P.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Well yes you either study river processes in detail or sea processes.
    In that you should an answer prepared on landform of erosion/deposition and interaction with river/sea processes.
    Also make sure you know at least primary,secondary and tertiary activities in two of these regions-Ireland,Paris,Indian subcontinent etc.

Not sure specifically what you need clarified so hope I helped somewhat :D If you need any help I would be glad to try my best to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

David1994 wrote: »
    Well yes you either study river processes in detail or sea processes.
    In that you should an answer prepared on landform of erosion/deposition and interaction with river/sea processes.
    Also make sure you know at least primary,secondary and tertiary activities in two of these regions-Ireland,Paris,Indian subcontinent etc.

Not sure specifically what you need clarified so hope I helped somewhat :D If you need any help I would be glad to try my best to help!

or glacial. Narrow it down a bit more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

You need to sit down with the exam papers and understand what they're looking for, if you haven't already.

You'll have to cover Tectonic Theory (ie how the earth's surface is made up of plates, moving on the mantle..) and how this leads to volcanic activity. What happens when plates divide? Or separate? Or slide past each other? If you have time, look at isostasy, it came up on the 2011 paper and is part of Physical geography. Rock formation and types are important, especially the limestone landscape.
    David's absolutely right regarding fluvial (river), marine or glacial landforms.

Adding to what he says about Regional Geography, you've also got to know about cultural regions (divided due to language or religion). In learning these, understand that there are common problems in peripheral regions, e.g. isolation: the Appenines hinder movement to the lucrative North Italian market from the Mezzogiorno. Upland soils isolate the West of Ireland too. If you can remember "common headings" then you can cut the work you're learning a little bit. You need to learn off bullet points for each region and make sure that you're working these into each answer for full marks. Don't forget to learn sketch maps of your regions - you can be asked to draw these and even if you don't have to, you can get marks for it.

For your elective, you will have to do Human or Economic Geography.

For your option, I presume that you are doing Geoecology as most do. You'll need to look at Soils, how they form, different types and examples and problems with soil erosion as well as a specific Biome - its Characteristics (Soil, Climate, Animals, Plants) and the Human Impact on Biomes and these characteristics.

Break it all down and be methodical, learning off lists and diagrams. People say Geography is too vague or waffley- it's not, you can study effectively for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Thanks guys, about regional: We've done Ireland, Paris, Mezz and SW USA I think. Do I have to know primary,secondary,tertiary etc for each of these regions? Thanks again :D!

Advertisement