Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Renters Association

Options
  • 14-05-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I heard about this group when they said they would protest at the Killiney couple's house. Anybody here anything else about them? They have a facebook page and that seems to be it.

http://www.facebook.com/IrishRentersAssociation

*repost from rugby...they said this thread was elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I saw their Facebook page but don't know anything about them though. Looks like they have just been established. Fair play to them for protesting against that Killiney couple anyway.

Whatever about the association themselves, they really should have thought a bit more about their name which happens to have the acronym IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Heard about this group from a friend.
    A representative organization for tenants can only be a good thing really IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I saw their Facebook page but don't know anything about them though. Looks like they have just been established. Fair play to them for protesting against that Killiney couple anyway.

Nonsense, that couple choose not to pay there mortgage for about 4 years and yet continued to rent out and collect rent from about 20 other properties.

to put things into perspective the house is now for rent. its going for 4,500 a month.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1207451

what would happen if their tenants decided not to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

They protested the couple, not in support of the couple, Ted1...

While I like the idea of an irish renters association, I can only assume this is a loan nutter considering the acronym of IRA.

Ridiculous.

I've even seen a photoshopped up logo with bullet holes in the IRA letters. Hopefully not done by the Irish Renters Associatiatin itself but they're asking to be considered as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

ted1 wrote: »
    Nonsense, that couple choose not to pay there mortgage for about 4 years and yet continued to rent out and collect rent from about 20 other properties.

to put things into perspective the house is now for rent. its going for 4,500 a month.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1207451

what would happen if their tenants decided not to pay?
    That's not their house. It's a different one in the same development with a different layout/design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dónal wrote: »
    Whatever about the association themselves, they really should have thought a bit more about their name which happens to have the acronym IRA.

Strangely, it appeals to me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Great, another clique of greedy landlords hoping to get one over on tenants. That's all we need:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

TheChevron wrote: »
    Great, another clique of greedy landlords hoping to get one over on tenants. That's all we need:rolleyes:

:confused:
    It's an association to lobby on behalf of those citizens who rent. It is sorely needed to counter all the various lobby groups that represent landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:
    It's an association to lobby on behalf of those citizens who rent. It is sorely needed to counter all the various lobby groups that represent landlords.
    Ah, well in that case I'm all for the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A year on..
    There is close to 500,000 households or approx 33% of households renting according to the 2011 Census, yet the only lobby pushing for their cause is a registered charity.
    On the other hand, you have numerous lobby groups for homeowners and landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A year on..
    There is close to 500,000 households or approx 33% of households renting according to the 2011 Census, yet the only lobby pushing for their cause is a registered charity.
    Renters too apathetic/mean/lazy to form a lobby group? Germany has hundreds of such organisations all organised under an umbrella that lobbies government. German landlords are also well organised and lobby their side.

In Ireland NEITHER tenants nor landlords are well organised...tells us something about the Irish in general more than any particular grouping I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A year on..

Landlords are powerless in tenant disputes. All government organisations like prtb always side towards tenant in disputes( that's if you can wait the slow processing time). If you enter into a dispute with your landlord you can't be evicted regardless if you pay rent or not according to the prtb. Also its difficult to evict a tenant in Ireland, even if they are involved in anti social behaviour. Where as in the us you go to your local court house and file a dispute. Within 24 hours the tenants must leave the property.

Most landlords are respectable people, only trying to make a living like everyone else. You hear the stories of slum like pre 63s and landlords unfairly withholding of deposits. But you never hear of landlords having to get up in the middle of the night to break up parties( its seen as the landlord responsibility and not the gardas), having to deal with smashed up houses from tenants and the fact that they are highly taxed now with ridculous regulations. But I don't think rte would make a prime time special out of how difficult it is to be a landlord in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

.... all the various lobby groups that represent landlords.

Which groups are these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You said numerous, and you came back with two lists neither of which are a lobby group. So no groups.

If they are lobby groups what shared polices for Landlords have they lobbied for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

beauf wrote: »
    You said numerous, and you came back with two lists neither of which are a lobby group. So no groups.

If they are lobby groups what shared polices for Landlords have they lobbied for?

Did he really just provide a list of TD's and a list of Senators as an example of landlord lobby groups?:pac:
    If snubbleste could provide some examples of pro landlord legislation that this 'lobby group' has supported in the least few years I would be all ears.

The only group I am aware of are the IPOA (Irish property owners association) and I have yet to meet a landlord that has anything to do with them.

Advertisement