Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes like BMW F800R/F800GS?

• 14-05-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi...I have the cliché "what bike will I get" question :) ...

I am looking to buy my next bike, after being on a Ninja 250R for some time.

I'm looking for something that would be able to comfortably hold decent luggage, maybe a passenger, etc...and something that is fairly powerful/capable. I'm not into cruisers or total sports bikes...

I really like the F800GS, and somewhat less the F800R...So I'm just trying to get a feel for similar bikes that are out there and begin researching. Can you suggest/advise some alternatives that would be "equivalent" in terms of ability & price to the BMW F800 bikes?

Note: I'm considering buying new. Also, I don't plan on any proper off-roading...would be used for commuting, city driving, weekend rides around back-roads, and hopefully some tours abroad...A GS is probably a bit more difficult to handle on the road than a Roadster...but then again, a lot of our roads in Ireland are less than ideal, so maybe a GS is perfect for Irish roads?! What yee reckon?

Thanks in advance...safe riding!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Suzuki VStrom DL 650 would be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about the F650GS SE same cc engine as the F800 just tuned for more grunt and tractability, lower seat height and better economy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Suzuki VStrom DL 650 would be a good option.

Thanks, looks like a nice bike. Not a bad price either!
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    How about the F650GS SE same cc engine as the F800 just tuned for more grunt and tractability, lower seat height and better economy?

Yeah, have my eye on those too. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with one. Hard to "decide" between that and the other two similar 800s (R and GS) I'm only 5 foot 7 or so, so the lower seat might be neccessary :D ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Good review here, adventure bikes are very popular now, and as a long time rider of one they are very suited to Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rat_race wrote: »
    Hi...I have the cliché "what bike will I get" question :) ...

I am looking to buy my next bike, after being on a Ninja 250R for some time.

I'm looking for something that would be able to comfortably hold decent luggage, maybe a passenger, etc...and something that is fairly powerful/capable. I'm not into cruisers or total sports bikes...

I really like the F800GS, and somewhat less the F800R...So I'm just trying to get a feel for similar bikes that are out there and begin researching. Can you suggest/advise some alternatives that would be "equivalent" in terms of ability & price to the BMW F800 bikes?

Note: I'm considering buying new. Also, I don't plan on any proper off-roading...would be used for commuting, city driving, weekend rides around back-roads, and hopefully some tours abroad...A GS is probably a bit more difficult to handle on the road than a Roadster...but then again, a lot of our roads in Ireland are less than ideal, so maybe a GS is perfect for Irish roads?! What yee reckon?

Thanks in advance...safe riding!

You could go for the clone Triumph Tiger 800.

Or similar looking bikes like the Kawasaki Versys, Honda Transalp or NC700X, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Ducati Hypermotard 749,Yamaha XT660Z.

Or it's twin the Husqvarna Nuda.

Not sure about seat heights, but you have to try before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

+1 for the triumph tiger. Is getting great reviews!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That hypermotard 796 looks well tasty, the reviews on it are brilliant. Might consider something like this next. As much as I love the 749 its a full out sports bike and not particularly practical or comfy. Only thing about the hypermotard is the lack of wind protection so on long journeys you'll get blasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you're buying new, get yourself over to the main dealers for BMW, Ducati, Honda, KTM, Suzuki, etc. and organize extended test rides.

There should be some good discounts for cash customers too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_c wrote: »
    If you're buying new, get yourself over to the main dealers for BMW, Ducati, Honda, KTM, Suzuki, etc. and organize extended test rides.

There should be some good discounts for cash customers too!

Not exactly a 'review' but, it might be worth something: I rented an F800R last year........ loved it.

1241392562_j9zku-M.jpg

It kinda rekindled the whole bike thing for Mrs Gtt, tbh, so we've been test riding bikes (not from shops), for a the last few weeks, and a decision has been made: SV650S.

In fact, I've already bought it for her, for her birthday - she just doesn't know it yet ! :D

Now, my SO, whilst capable on a bike, refuses to ride anything she can't put her two feet flat down on - and she's no 6ft Amazonian - so, we tested....
    ER-5
    SV650N
    SV650S
    Bonneville 750
    W650
    DL650
    H-D Road King

DSC1150-M.jpg

Tbh, she loved the SV straight away, and I thought she'd go for the N (naked :P :eek: ) version......

DSC1143-M.jpg

.....but no: preferred the clip-ons of the S model.

DSC1420-M.jpg

I have to say, I only rode the SV a few miles myself, and it's very, very good. Compared to the F800R I rode last year, it's very similar, but a fraction of the price. Mind you, the gearbox on the F800R is agricultural compared to the Suzuki. And although a 'big' bike rider myself, I was seriously impressed with both, and would be happy with either.

The F's are expensive is the only other major difference, and the F will probably use less juice. Actually, it WILL use less juice. Insurance on the Suzuki is cheaper too, iirc.

If you're buying new of course, the world is your oyster, but if used, F800's aren't that common.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I just picked up a second hand F800GS in the UK about 10 days ago and brought it over. It's a 2010 but has yet to see 2000 miles so still 'as new' (as revenue let me know with the VAT charge...)

Anyway - I was on a Bros 400 before that and the change is phenomenal. The power, even at the higher motorway speeds, is there if you need it and it handles beautifully on the road. Coming from the Bros I was worried that it might be far more difficult or take a long time to get used to it, but it was a really easy ride from day 1. And smooths out the Irish roads too!

The only thing that is really noticeably different is the height. I'm just shy of 6 foot and feel that any shorter I wouldn't be able to manage it at a stop. It's fine once moving - even at slow speeds - but if you need to put the foot down (i.e. red traffic lights, though that's not a given for some road users) it is really different. Takes some getting used to (dropped it once myself - which woke me to the fact).

So - being 5'7" I would not recommend the F800GS unless you go for the lower seat option. Even then.... I did sit on the F650GS in the UK a few weeks ago (which as said before is the same 800 engine but de-tuned) and it felt far more manageable as far as feet on the ground were concerned.

Good luck at the BMW show room in Dublin - they haven't had an F800GS in there for some time now but should be getting some in soon.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not exactly a 'review' but, it might be worth something: I rented an F800R last year........ loved it.

1241392562_j9zku-M.jpg

It kinda rekindled the whole bike thing for Mrs Gtt, tbh, so we've been test riding bikes (not from shops), for a the last few weeks, and a decision has been made: SV650S.

In fact, I've already bought it for her, for her birthday - she just doesn't know it yet ! :D

Now, my SO, whilst capable on a bike, refuses to ride anything she can't put her two feet flat down on - and she's no 6ft Amazonian - so, we tested....
    ER-5
    SV650N
    SV650S
    Bonneville 750
    W650
    DL650
    H-D Road King

Thanks for the informative post. Where are you testing all these, private sellers? I do like the R too but to be honest I haven't been on one...
    scorn wrote: »
    I just picked up a second hand F800GS in the UK about 10 days ago and brought it over. It's a 2010 but has yet to see 2000 miles so still 'as new' (as revenue let me know with the VAT charge...)

Anyway - I was on a Bros 400 before that and the change is phenomenal. The power, even at the higher motorway speeds, is there if you need it and it handles beautifully on the road. Coming from the Bros I was worried that it might be far more difficult or take a long time to get used to it, but it was a really easy ride from day 1. And smooths out the Irish roads too!

The only thing that is really noticeably different is the height. I'm just shy of 6 foot and feel that any shorter I wouldn't be able to manage it at a stop. It's fine once moving - even at slow speeds - but if you need to put the foot down (i.e. red traffic lights, though that's not a given for some road users) it is really different. Takes some getting used to (dropped it once myself - which woke me to the fact).

So - being 5'7" I would not recommend the F800GS unless you go for the lower seat option. Even then.... I did sit on the F650GS in the UK a few weeks ago (which as said before is the same 800 engine but de-tuned) and it felt far more manageable as far as feet on the ground were concerned.

Good luck at the BMW show room in Dublin - they haven't had an F800GS in there for some time now but should be getting some in soon.7

Thanks. Yeah I think they have an 800GS in tomorrow, but it's on the way out on Thursday! I might take a spin up and take a look.

Problem with myself and test rides, is that I'm still in my "2 years", so can't test ride these bikes. What's the deal with test rides normally, who insures the rider? Or how does that work? Or are there just blind eyes turned...?

Yep. Btw, do we have a KTM dealer in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yep. Btw, do we have a KTM dealer in Ireland?

There's one to open in Dublin pretty soon -- seen a KTM the other day with m50ktm.com on it. There's always McCallen's up north anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yeah I think KTM are opening up in what seems to be the new M50 bike strip. Read in Bike Buyers Guide that it's going to be called KTM Korner so it may be part of another main dealer, I actually think I might have read that it's going in with Triumph. I can't find that copy of BBG now.

There's one to open in Dublin pretty soon -- seen a KTM the other day with m50ktm.com on it. There's always McCallen's up north anyway.

I was at the Honda showroom the other day, just off the M50. They are KTM dealers, I didn't know. Lots of their test/sample bikes have that m50ktm.com sticker on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was at the Honda showroom the other day, just off the M50. They are KTM dealers, I didn't know. Lots of their test/sample bikes have that m50ktm.com sticker on them!

Still deciding on my next bike and still haven't completely dismissed the idea of a KTM. Do they have many KTMs there?

Still deciding on my next bike and still haven't completely dismissed the idea of a KTM. Do they have many KTMs there?

Hmm, a few, yeah...like maybe 3 or 4 new on display inside, and various KTM boxes and gear, etc. Not lots but enough to suss the stuff out.

They seemed to have even more KTM bikes than that outside, for test rides..

I even saw a guy wheelieing one down the road. Pricey though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hot chick alert, GalwayTT :D

*cough* ahem, I mean, it's always a good thing to see the oppositeother sex taking an interest in riding a motorcycle!

As things stand I'm happy that my better half tolerates that I ride one...

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement