Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tick twister

• 14-05-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across these in a pet shop?
    I was asked to look at a mommy cat this eve and she has a few ticks on her. I need to get this sorted as soon as possible as she is feeding 10 day old kittens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Plymouth Rock

Tick twisters are great!! I have a long haired dog and live in the countryside, we would be lost without the twisters. I know my local vet stocks them, they are green plastic gadgets, 2 different sizes in a pack for young or old ticks. All you do is slip the twister next to the fur and tick, then twist and pull. The head is removed intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def vet's, I got mine there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Thank you, I will check out the local vets! I think it will be less stressful for her if i can get one of them instead of poking around with a tweezers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Make your own from a cereal packet if it's urgent. Thick card is better - cut a long strip, narrow the end until it's quite slender and then cut a tiny wedge from the end so you have a tight prong. As long as you leave yourself a longish handle to spin it it'll do the same as the plastic one. (And the beauty of a cereal packet is you can make all the different sizes you might need for different sized ticks...)

Get your blue peter badge on, call up a pic on the interwebs of the tick twisters and recreate - the head of the twister is the bit you need to get right, but it's not too hard.

• Advertisement

:D
    I will certainly keep that in mind if I cant locate one tomorrow. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

you don't need a special device though - just pull them out. If you use slow steady force you get the head out.
    :eek: but has to be done...

My vet doesn't stock them and I'm afraid to use a tweezers invade I leave the head in! I have a front line for her and will use the sweepers advice and make a twister. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have a look at the Ticktalk website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

If you just use your finger (with glove on) to repeatedly circle around the ticks body they instinctively detach themselves from the burying...don't know why but it works!

• Advertisement
Advertisement