Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of school to study

• 14-05-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering how many of you have or will be dropping out of school and are studying at home or doing supervised study.

Everyday I'm in school I'm feeling as though I'm not learning anything because I usually end up messing or taking the piss, and the teachers arent much better.

I haven't done much in the way of study up untill now and don't feel confident about some of the subjects I have where the teachers are useless.
    So I'm thinking of supervised study for the last few weeks to make up ground.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've dropped out of mine to study and most people in my school have .
    I get much more done I do still go in for english and sometimes maths the rest I just stay and study at home. I find it easier to study this way. When I'm in school I always feel like all I'm doing is wasting time as I have many free classes or it's spent talking with friends or there is a area to study but no one does which makes it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Yeah its ideal to do it now or next week but it depends on whether your learn in class or not. I prefer to stick it out at home as I won't be tired after a day at school and more time to study really. Just when you do drop out to study try keep to a routine of getting up early, I already feel myself wanting to sleep in and that'll be a problem losing hours of study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Well I only have 6 days of school left so I think I might as well go in for them, I am learning a fair bit in some subjects. From Thursday next week I've gotta get my act together and study all day and all night until the leaving cert though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I've left school 2 weeks ago! I get in the library at 8:30 (my legend of a scool bus driver drives me there!) and study until until around 5 then come home. I then get about an hour done at home (can't work at home :P) and bed at 10:30! So usually I get hours done :D

i.e. I think you should leave school now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm enjoying my last couple of weeks in school.
    If you're like Wesc here and find going 8 hours straight on your own easy then maybe consider dropping out.
    If you're more like me and find you get the most out of just being present at school while finding working on your own impossible, then there's no point in dropping about and mucking about at home all day.
    Depends on the person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Younganddumb

I havnt been in since Thursday last week...starting to burn out a bit at home..had been getting abt 5 hrs done a day but struggled with 4 today! I'd say stay at home but not totally show your a face 2 or3 times before the end to give yourself a bit of a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I've been going in for the morning for Maths but I'm going to stop altogether now. The amount of time wasted is ridiculous, it was stressing me out :o
    I get so much more done at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlBar_Humble

I would Definitely recommend staying at home to study. I get 4-5 hours at least done this way but at the same time im only going in to get the last bit of craic and the rest. I went home to study Monday at lunch and missed a load of egging and pranks after break so ill wait it out. Every other year before us got kicked out a few days early for messing so i hope that will be the case in the next day or two. Going in at this stage i find is very unproductive, i might as well be sitting in a playschool coloring in coloring books than sitting in some classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Thinking about it though, its your last days of school! Do ye not want to spend it with yer friends taking lots of photos?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Thinking about it though, its your last days of school! Do ye not want to spend it with yer friends taking lots of photos?! :D

Nobody takes photo's together in an all boys school.That'd just be weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Chavways wrote: »
    Nobody takes photo's together in an all boys school.That'd just be weird.

Ok, point taken. I go to a mixed school and all the lads just pule into them anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

It totally depends on yourself and how you prefer to study. Stay at home if you realistically think you'd get more done - if you're able to focus and keep motivated yourself at home then it can be a really good option for you. For me personally, I'm studying at home most days but I'll go in every so often just because I don't want to miss the end of the year with my friends. I know a lot of people need school to focus them though, so it really depends on yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

It totally depends on yourself and how you prefer to study. Stay at home if you realistically think you'd get more done - if you're able to focus and keep motivated yourself at home then it can be a really good option for you. For me personally, I'm studying at home most days but I'll go in every so often just because I don't want to miss the end of the year with my friends. I know a lot of people need school to focus them though, so it really depends on yourself. :)

Friends?!? What friends? I have not been in contact nor had any social interactions with any human beings since the beginning of September. My mother slips in my once a day meal through under my door (a slice of toast). I have not changed my cloths let alone showered and can no longer read properly without my electron microscope. I won't be leaving my room until I get my results in august as I will continue to study, due to the highly probable chance that I will have to repeat.

If you've even seen a human being let alone talked to once since last year than you've failed already. I guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Friends?!? What friends? I have not been in contact nor had any social interactions with any human beings since the beginning of September. My mother slips in my once a day meal through under my door (a slice of toast). I have not changed my cloths let alone showered and can no longer read properly without my electron microscope. I won't be leaving my room until I get my results in august as I will continue to study, due to the highly probable chance that I will have to repeat.

If you've even seen a human being let alone talked to once since last year than you've failed already. I guarantee it.

That made me laugh.

Personally I haven't missed a day. They may not have been the most productive days at school recently, but I wouldn't have missed them for the world. So many fun and memorable times over the last couple of weeks, just hanging around with my friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your school is one where the dossers stay home this time of year, stay in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm planning on going in until the end of May. I'll just go to study for most classes, so I'll end up having loads done every day even if I do nothing at home! :D I'd do well to do three or four hours a day if I stayed at home, as opposed to the minimum of six I'd get done by simply going to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Well I decided to drop out.
    Just went to school last Tuesday to pick up books for the subjects I'm sort freaking over.

I've been doing supervised study since (9.30-4.30)

And I've made a serious dent in my geography and history.

Another two weeks and I should be in a pretty good position for my LC.

Advertisement