Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a failed exam in final year mean ordinary degree?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

For example if i fail a exam but my average is 2.1 or 2.2, would my degree be downgraded to a pass degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Engineer101

Yes as far as i know, once you fail a module, your degree is automatically reduced to a pass degree no matter what marks you get. Could vary from course to course though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

i just done a bit of research on the dit general assessment regulations, i think that an exam can be failed once in the final year without if effecting the degree classification;

5.2.3 Award classification in case of student failure

Students who fail the assessment of one or more of the modules which contribute to their final award classification may resit the assessment once for each of those modules without prejudice to the award of Honours/Merit or Distinction.
    Students who fail the resit of any of these modules will not be eligible for the Honours /Merit or Distinction classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

I think you're only credited with 40%, no matter what you get in the repeat, so it drags you're average down.

I don't actually know now, but that's my understanding of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Fail a module = Repeat the module, failed module capped at 40%
    Fail a repeat = Repeat the module, degree award capped at 40%

Advertisement