Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship

Options
  • 14-05-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Question: When I graduate do I have to complete a year of internship immediately or can I postpone it indefinitely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

No, you don't have to complete the internship right away.

However, you cannot practise medicine in Ireland without it (or a recognised equivalent year elsewhere).

Albection wrote: »
    However, you cannot practise medicine in Ireland without it (or a recognised equivalent year elsewhere).

It's just occurred to me that you probably already know this, sorry. :o

I'll leave it there for the sake of completeness but it's not particularly aimed at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Thanks for the reply. I think I recall my brother saying that the intern year has to be completed within two years? I was hoping to pursue other interests for a few years and then possibly return to complete my internship when I felt ready; would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

You have to complete it within two years so maybe you could take one year out but that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

And what would happen if you failed to complete it within the two years?

• Advertisement

Sorry, yep, it is two years. http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Sample%20Intern%20Job%20Specification.pdf

Not sure how I got confused, I'd read that before ffs. :o
    Stompbox wrote: »
    And what would happen if you failed to complete it within the two years?

It looks like you wouldn't be able to apply for an Irish internship and would have to complete the year somewhere else and let the registration process transfer across. You should probably contact them to find out what the plan should be in that instance.

I've heard that it's not that difficult to take a break after the internship year and to hold back on the further training schemes for a while (in theory for as long as you want).

I know it's not exactly what you want, but it might be the easier course of action.

Advertisement