Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Ireland with a UK Nursing Qualification

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi Guys,

I am currently in second year studying nursing in Scotland. I am from Ireland and moved here to do the course. I am on the honours course & by the end of year 3 I will be qualified at ordinary degree level in Aug 2013. This allows me to register & practice as a nurse here with the Nursing & Midwifery council (Equivalent to An Bord Alt).

I have the option of doing the fourth year to get the honours degree however, I am a mature student and would like to return to Ireland next year when I finish my 3rd year. Basically my question is how important is it to have the honours degree?? I know there is an embargo at the moment so it's just to make sure I don't pass on the 4th year if I need to have it in order to work in the HSE.

Also if anyone has any experiences of training as a nurse in the UK and returning back to work in Ireland it would be great to hear them!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi
    I'm not sure what the comparative levels of education would be between the UK and Ireland but if you contact the Nursing Careers Centre they would be able to tell you what qualifications you would need from the UK to work here.

There is PDF on their website with registration information for applicants who completed training outside Ireland: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/apply_registration.aspx

I would imagine that you would probably need the 4 year qualification but I'm open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Thanks, I spoke to the Nursing Board and although they say its possible to register they advised that I get the 4th year in order for more employment opportunities. More or less what I was thinking anyway!

Advertisement