Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's everyone drinking for the grads?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Amateur.

A barrel of 40% ethanol? You're like one of those "I drink responsibly" types who like to "drink at their own pace".

You can't beat an IV of 100% ethanol. Fact.
    (And that's actually a fact... Read: Bioavailability)

Wise you are not partyatmygaff.
    The ladies are impressed by endurance, not the strength. Chug down your 100% ethanol, topple below the table and you won't even remember the evening. I prefer to remain at equilibrium for maximum yield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

larger/Guinness then whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Are we crazy?

We're having an all night house party after the mass and we're all going to party all night long and go to school the next day for the craic

Bottle of jaigermeister, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Buckfast then hit the town and get absolutely smashed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

I'm not going to my grads but I'm turning 18 roughly around the same week. ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

reznov wrote: »
    Wise you are not partyatmygaff.
    The ladies are impressed by endurance, not the strength. Chug down your 100% ethanol, topple below the table and you won't even remember the evening. I prefer to remain at equilibrium for maximum yield.

Sure why not inject a little ethanol to catalyze the reaction and reach equilibrium a little bit quicker. :D

Neodymium wrote: »
    Sure why not inject a little ethanol to catalyze the reaction and reach equilibrium a little bit quicker. :D

That's a valid option if you want the pathway with the least activation energy!
    However I'm a man who believes in the Surface Adsorption Theory of catalysis, meaning injection is not an option. Although forming an intermediate substance via a cocktail is acceptable. Raising temperature, concentration, and surface area are all valid options to reach a state of equilibrium faster.
    Through scientific method, I've identified my chemical equilibrium to be percisely at 290K, under standard conditions of pressure, and an ethanol concentration within the blood at 20%. Gotta ensure that my liver will have enough time to oxidise all of the ethanol into ethanal before driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

That's a valid option if you want the pathway with the least activation energy!
    However I'm a man who believes in the Surface Adsorption Theory of catalysis, meaning injection is not an option. Although forming an intermediate substance via a cocktail is acceptable. Raising temperature, concentration, and surface area are all valid options to reach a state of equilibrium faster.
    Through scientific method, I've identified my chemical equilibrium to be percisely at 290K, under standard conditions of pressure, and an ethanol concentration within the blood at 20%. Gotta ensure that my liver will have enough time to oxidise all of the ethanol into ethanal before driving.

Hope you're taking the necessary precautions to ensure it isn't fully Oxidised to Ethanoic Acid i.e ensuring Ethanol is in excess and installing a distillation mechanism to distill off the ethanal as it's produced

Hope you're taking the necessary precautions to ensure it isn't fully Oxidised to Ethanoic Acid i.e ensuring Ethanol is in excess and installing a distillation mechanism to distill off the ethanal as it's produced

Thank you for the important reminder. I certainly do not desire the formation of ethanoic acid in my liver. Going to have to attach a liebig condenser apparatus to my liver before grad. Ethanol collected in beaker will have to be cooled with ice to below 23*C to ensure that I can wow the ladies with my test for ethanal using Fehling's solution. The colour change is a turn on.

Do you recommend me forming ethyne at grad as well? Display the differences in combustion between ethane, ethane and ethyne, I.e. the formation of a carbon soot within the test tube?

• Advertisement

Hope you're taking the necessary precautions to ensure it isn't fully Oxidised to Ethanoic Acid
    Nothing a bit of hydrogen and a nickel catalyst won't solve.
    Thank you for the important reminder. I certainly do not desire the formation of ethanoic acid in my liver. Going to have to attach a liebig condenser apparatus to my liver before grad. Ethanol collected in beaker will have to be cooled with ice to below 23*C to ensure that I can wow the ladies with my test for ethanal using Fehling's solution. The colour change is a turn on.

Do you recommend me forming ethyne at grad as well? Display the differences in combustion between ethane, ethane and ethyne, I.e. the formation of a carbon soot within the test tube?

You mean ethanal don't you - I bet you have been testing the products from your brewing apparatus already, don't take too much or you may become immobilised (you are immobilising your yeast cells aren't you? to make your product easier to purify). Make sure you keep plenty of ice around for your ethanal or the situation could become quite volatile when you're trying to impress Rochelle with your Fehling's test. I'm sure everyone will be feeling the royal blues when they see your brick red precipitate. Oh and while you are at it, why not pull out all the stops? Borrow some nail varnish remover and distinguish the aldehyde from a ketone (a silver mirror would be just as acceptable)? The display would be luminous.
    reznov wrote:
    However I'm a man who believes in the Surface Adsorption Theory of catalysis
    Just make sure you don't become poisoned by some pesky little inhibitor forming permanent bonds.
    reznov wrote:
    Raising temperature, concentration, and surface area are all valid options to reach a state of equilibrium faster.
    Or you could increase your pressure if you want to reach the side with fewer molecules.

You know the only way to wow them is the Silver Mirror Test. Ammoniacal Silver Nitrate and that Silver Mirror will have them all over you reznov. How do you think I spend my weekends :cool:

You know the only way to wow them is the Silver Mirror Test. Ammoniacal Silver Nitrate and that Silver Mirror will have them all over you reznov. How do you think I spend my weekends :cool:

A rag soaked with some trichloromethane would do the job aswell if they're not impressed with your 1337 chemistry skills.

AH I think the Silver Nitrate test can get quite messy. It stains skin brown and may leave an undesired initial impression. Think I'll leave it for when I must overcome a formidable chemist in swooning females to lead into my laboratory so that they can squirt a syringe.

AH I think the Silver Nitrate test can get quite messy. It stains skin brown and may leave an undesired initial impression. Think I'll leave it for when I must overcome a formidable chemist in swooning females to lead into my laboratory so that they can squirt a syringe.

What! you don't carry ammonia around with you at all times to remove stains from silver nitrate - pfffft, and you call yourself a chemist. If anyone would dare challenge me I would break out the flame tests on their asses. Nothing gets the opposite sex into such an excited state, at least until they fall back down due to their instability from their over consumption of alcohol, it always makes my world a little brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

This thread has suddenly gotten so much sexier. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

SAMBUCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Suddenly... chemistry nerds who just so happen to be alcoholics.

Lots of them.

Lots of them.

Why do you think we took up the subject? :P

Neodymium wrote: »
    What! you don't carry ammonia around with you at all times to remove stains from silver nitrate - pfffft, and you call yourself a chemist. If anyone would dare challenge me I would break out the flame tests on their asses. Nothing gets the opposite sex into such an excited state, at least until they fall back down due to their instability from their over consumption of alcohol, it always makes my world a little brighter.

I think as a general consensus, every male prefers a female in the excited state rather than a ground state. However, you must be careful that she doesn't enter free radical form through heterolytic fission. The reaction may become violent, "substituting" your pleasant life of care free titration with a life of mixing francium with water.

I recommend a subtle approach, almost a method of autocatalysis:
    Order her a glass of her favourite alcoholic beverage, and allow her to consume the reactant. Note any observations in her state and any facial colour changes.
    Once she becomes flushed with redness, you should observe her ordering drinks and gulping them down faster and faster. Minimal work, minimal reactant out of your paycheck, and you have the desired product. Wearing of goggles and lab coat is not required for this procedure.

This is why chemistry is such a fantastic, applicable subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I don't drink so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Lots of them.

That means reading this counts as study!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

And drinking can be an experiment! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aomame

I'll be consuming some powdered metamorphic rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Thinking of downing a naggin followed by a shot of conc. sulphuric acid and a shot of ethanoic acid to make some ethyl ethanoate. Since that's added to nail polish remover, if any of my friends wanna get rid of their nail polish I can just vomit on them. What a good friend I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Aomame wrote: »
    I'll be consuming some powdered metamorphic rocks
    Add some xanthan gum and water and you've got yourself a nicely diffused cocktail.

(Cue LC Chemistry people freaking out because they've neglected a chapter in their book)

Advertisement