Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club Choices

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I hope that I am posting in the correct thread. In the matter of book clubs, could any of you who are involved in one please let me know how your club chooses it's books? The task of choosing a book has become a matter of contention in my particular book club. The choice currently rotates between the members but increasingly there has been difficulty in accepting some of the individual recommendations. Do you have definite rules about the choice or is it a fluid/changing event? I would appreciate any comments or guidance in order that we can return to more harmonious discussions. Many thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not in a book club, never have been, but if I were I would suggest each member choose 2 or 3 books, stick the names in a hat and then pick one at random each week/month/whatever.

If I wasn't willing to read books I wouldn't normally read then why would I join a book club? Tell the people who are being difficult to STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Magic Marker I agree with you that if people are unwilling to read outside their comfort zone, then they shouldn't be in a book club. It is unfortunate that we have become a little bit 'cosy' and have fallen into bad habits. Think it's time I stirred it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

In a book club I was in previously everyone took a turn suggesting a book and that's what we went with. The only rule was that they had to have read the book themselves so they knew what they were recommending. This worked well - I didn't always like the books (as is inevitable) but there was always something to say about them. In the book club I'm in now, there is no such procedure for want of a better word. More time is spent arguing about the next book than discussing the current one - it drives me nuts.

Advertisement