Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC cooling fan

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

I am using an old dell optiplex as a HTPC at the moment and i would like to upgrade the cooling fan to a silent/near silent fan as the current fan is loud during high usage.

The fan inside at the moment is a ball bearing one, roughly 8 x 8 x3.7cm and states 12vdc 0.85A

Any help on which silent/near silent brand i should replace it with and maybe a linky (ebay or other if handy) would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

This is what is in it at the moment... http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/656-79818-21251/AVC-DA08038B12H-Server-Square-Fan.html It seems to be a 4 wire fan... can only seem to find three wire replacements so far on ebay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Anyone got any ideas on this... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Something like this?

Just noticed that fan is only 3 wire/pin... the fan that i want to replace has 4 cables... exactly like the pic below...

yhst-90432262887525_2205_225941003

Do i have to source a 4 wire replacement fan or can i just do something as simple as cut and solder the 3 wire fan (matching the wire colours) onto the old dell 4/5 pin fan connector?

Not too sure on this. Thanks.

^ anyone any idea?

Advertisement