Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Recording in a Dark Venue

• 14-05-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to record some gigs in dark pub venues. My videos keep coming up too dark. I'm using the Zoom Q3-HD video camera. Can someone recommend what lighting I should use?

I was originally looking at video camera lights, then stage lights, now back to video cam lights....

I am a complete beginner so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Your main concern isn't lighting, it's that camcorder... which I utter in the loosest sense of the word. It's good enough for video blogs and not much else.

I can't really recommend a light as any setup with that camera feels wrong.

If you were shooting on a DSLR you probably wouldn't be having this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Balls.

I bought it for it's great sound recording. Have you used it yourself?

I'm fairly stuck with it now though! Can you recommend me any light.... anything.... anything??!

What type of light even would you use to record pub gigs usually?

Thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lighting is always going to be an issue even with good gear. On better cameras you can set the exposure and adjust the cameras settings to at least get a shot.
    Go through the settings of your camera and see if there's a way to set spot exposure so it's only setting the exposure of what's in the middle of the shot rather than trying to decide based on the overall image. Messing up the exposure is common enough on these kind of cameras.

Buying a camera light isn't really going to solve your issue, they only light up what's right in front of them. They're good for close up interviews but won't light a room to well.

If you could point a softbox light at the performer it would help but may not look great in real life.

Advertisement