Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I ran out of time?

• 14-05-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

In Biology I've studied Units 1 & 2 (Unit 3 left), Business Units 1,2,3,6 (With 4,5,7 left), English: Comparative revised, Plath, Heaney & Larkin revised, no Hamlet yet, Ag Science half the course covered, Accounting nothing, Maths (O.L) nothing and French just verbs, expressions etc.

I'm aiming for:
    English: B3 (pre: B3)
    Biology: B2 (pre: C1)
    Business: C3 (pre: C3)
    Accounting: D1 (pre: C3)
    French: D1 (pre: D1)
    Ag Science: C3 (pre: B3)
    Maths: C3 (pre: C2)
    (The reason why i predict my ag science paper lower than my pre by that much is because my pre was marked so easily its beyond belief lol).

Looking at it realistically which is around 380-390 points and i need to get over 360. I'm not exactly reveling in self-belief lol, I was thinking if i could do 3-4 hours study a day for these 3 weeks i could get everything else remaining relatively covered, your thoughts would be much appreciated on if I need to work harder or study tips etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm going to be honest, you'll want to put in more than 3-4 hours a week to get everything else covered. For business, forget unit 7. Know 1,4,5,6 really well, it'll do you for 5 long questions and the ABQ, and the short questions are usually common sense. Go over your hamlet quotes and any essays, DON'T FORGET PAPER ONE. You CAN do it, but it'll be a long few weeks, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

What did you get in maths for the mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Thanks for the responses, @CTYIgirl: What time frame would you recommend for study? @karl_m: I got 64% just need to be able to maintain that now.

For maths you should be ok, P2 anything can fecking come up now so hard to get the bare bones of it. P1 you comfortable with?

Yeah by the looks of the sample papers for P2 its a bit all over the place and I do need practice for that. P1 on the other hand i do feel comfortable with maybe just a little practice on Arithmetic and its grand.

• Advertisement

I recommend that this weekend you do a maths mock, as in a random P1 and sample P2 then get your teacher to correct it. just to see how much study you need for it, if any.

The french comprehensions are worth 30%, the most in the exam, well worth practicing some of those. The Aural is a bitch, pure and simply, if you're good at it you're good, if your bad your bad, you'll get at least 10% if you take it seriously.

Yeah I'll do that Karl thanks. Yeah the comprehensions can be tricky at times especially the 2nd one and I agree with you on the tape, I'm useless at it and can never really get my head around it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

First off, forget about the amount of time that you have left- at least, in the "do I have enough time?" sense. You've got the time you've got left, use it and stop overthinking - keep calm and study hard. Worrying is not going to change anything, work will!

Firstly, for Agricultural Science ensure that you cover genetics perfectly. This will serve you well for Biology too. Do soils, people always overlook it and then make sure you know one root, one cereal, etc. Ensure that you're comfortable with dairy production and know your experiments! That really is the "core" minimum amount you could get away with.

Biology: It's good that Units 1 & 2 are covered. You've more than enough time to cover "harder" Unit 3 topics like Human or Flower Reproduction. Make sure you're doing exam questions and the exam style questions at the end of each chapter to keep testing yourself! There's a nice amount of time left, you'll be okay.

English: You have to get cracking on Hamlet. Consider the themes and characters and try to do out bullet-pointed sheets for each one. Major themes in Hamlet are Revenge, Appearance and Reality, Sanity, Weaknesses. Covering Hamlet himself is important, and his "different types", e.g. Hamlet the Prince, the Lover, the Son.. as well as other major characters like Claudius, Ophelia and Gertrude (cover the women together!). Previous poster is absolutely right - do not forget about Paper One. Keep going over the format of Question Bs!

French: Write out vague key phrases that you can use in any answer, e.g. "As far as I know... Autant que je sache.." That gets in the subjunctive in any answer and while it's important you hit key points, getting in some complex sentences you've learned off can really pull up any answer!

Good luck in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've done a lot less than you and I'm aiming for higher than you. Still hoping though! :)

Thanks weyhey for your advice on all subjects, I will start preparing some bullet point notes for Hamlet the characters and themes! @Coeurdepirate: Yeah hoping is something I can do lol just getting motivated is something I was struggling with but I reckon with the time frame available I can get a move on now and I hope you can also:)

• Advertisement

I'm repeating my L.C. this year. Last year I got 335, I studied the week before the exams began and got those points. I know I'm repeating but I got accepted into UCD but turned it down. Just a little note to tell ye that even only studying now you can get decent points, and if not, it's only one serious of exams, not the end of the world.

Fair effort a week before the exams and getting that. Imagine what we could do with 3 weeks serious study lol.

Advertisement