Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission (again)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

yes a pole mounted on the side of the gable is regarded as an extension of a building if these laws were not there we be having all sorts allover the place thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

No, it's preposterous. Plenty of people quite rightly have tv poles mounted to their gable ends.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Description of Development:
    CLASS 4
    (a) The erection of a wireless or
    television antenna, other than a satellite
    television signal receiving antenna, on the
    roof of a house.
    (b) The erection on or within the
    curtilage of a house, of a dish type
    antenna used for the receiving and
    transmitting of signals from satellites.

Conditions and Limitations
    The height of the antenna above the roof
    of the house shall not exceed 6 metres.
    1. Not more than one such antenna shall
    be erected on, or within the curtilage of a
    house.
    2. The diameter of any such antenna shall
    not exceed 1 metre.
    3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or
    forward of, the front wall
    of the house.
    4. No such antenna shall be erected on
    the front roof slope of the house or higher
    than the highest part of the roof of the
    house.

pardon for bringing up this thread but I just want to understand properly what the issue is.
    to me it appears that the regulations state that you can't put an antenna in front of your house, it doesn't say anything about the back of it. I guess my question is - where does it say that you can't have an antenna at the back garden? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to prove something, I just want to understand this regulation properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

its one assholes interpretation of the law when that ass got her job in the council she decided she had the power to interpret the law whatever way she wanted. chimneys nowadays are not like they used to be i wouldnt feel safe mounting one on my chimney so I was going to do the gable after they refused me permission, I didnt bother and have 4 dipoles tied to the chimney nowot great but does for me for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tf19

The erection of a wireless or
    television antenna, other than a satellite
    television signal receiving antenna, on the
    roof of a house.

The wording "roof" is very badly worded.

What Ariel / antenna / dish can be connected directly to a tiled / slated roof unless its been specially constructed / adapted with mounting points that are leaded and tiled / slated around ?

A Chimney is not part of the roof structure. A roof is built around and above a chimney. Roofs and Chimneys have separate sections in the building regulations.

A gable end above rafter level is built in place of a hipped roof, and is holding up the roof, so I think it could be successfully argued to be part of the roof structure if it's above rafter level.

Granted a mast bolted the whole way up the gable side of the house, is not really "the roof"

Perhaps the IRTS should issue a guidance / code of practice document in consultation with the Dept. of Environment / Comreg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement