Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got SSD!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi lads,

I got crucial m4 128gb today, I just done format and partition. so i install my ssd into my laptop. it not working there said " no bootable device " :confused:

What I can do?

Brian M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

how did you format it in the first place if it says not bootable :confused:oh and why would you format ssd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bms15450

I done format sdd by hdd external enclosure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

You haven't mentioned installing an os... ??

ok thats weird to format something empty as ssd arent ment to be formated or defragmented as it wears them down,but getting to the point,what does your bios say when you enter them,is your ssd even listed there ?

if so make sure its set to the first boot device ,cdrom second and then try installing windows 7 and let us know what happens then.

• Advertisement

minikin wrote: »
    You haven't mentioned installing an os... ??

Yeah there nothing anything on ssd but there around 100mb inside it.

scamalert wrote: »
    if so make sure its set to the first boot device ,cdrom second and then try installing windows 7 and let us know what happens then.

yeah I done that first boot device - notebook hard drive, still not working :(

how to install windows 7 in ssd?

set cd rom as your second boot device in bios,wait for cdrom to start spinning follow from there.

set cd rom as your second boot device in bios,wait for cdrom to start spinning follow from there.

blank dvd? im confuse about that :confused:

with ssd or hdd?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Have you got a windows CD??

• Advertisement

Neilos wrote: »
    Have you got a windows CD??

no i dont have that

bms15450 wrote: »
    blank dvd? im confuse about that :confused:

with ssd or hdd?
    no offence but it seems your taking a piss :pac: able to format a hard drive cant install windows :rolleyes:
    insert your windows 7 cd into cdrom,then wait for cdroom to boot as eventually if ssd wont start cdrom will,which will start file installation.

bms15450 wrote: »
    no i dont have that
    you just formatted your ssd,you've no windows installation disk and expect to boot into what ??? emptyness,linux ? dos ?
    its not a phone or ipad where you format everything and it installs automatically default OS after formatting,as you have an empty drive here.

So what do you want to boot into then :D ?

how i get window 7 cd lol, is there any on website for download into cd?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

no offence but it seems your taking a piss :pac: able to format a hard drive cant install windows :rolleyes:
    insert your windows 7 cd into cdrom,then wait for cdroom to boot as eventually if ssd wont start cdrom will,which will start file installation.

I'm guessing he formatted the ssd in an external enclosure before removing the old HDD.

If you don't have a windows CD and assuming you have a genuine product key you'll have to download a genuine ISO and burn it to a disk.

Neilos wrote: »
    I'm guessing he formatted the ssd in an external enclosure before removing the old HDD.

If you don't have a windows CD and assuming you have a genuine product key you'll have to download a genuine ISO and burn it to a disk.

i have genuine product key, oh ok i try that

best bet for now would be to downlaod linux http://www.ubuntu.com/download,as they are small in size and will work straight away,but if you will manage to download windows 7 and burn a bootable cd then god bless you.

best bet for now would be to downlaod linux http://www.ubuntu.com/download,as they are small in size and will work straight away,but if you will manage to download windows 7 and burn a bootable cd then god bless you.

what linux like? is same as windows 7 ? oh ok sound

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/burn-a-cd-on-windows follow this from the start to the end,will be your first step.cant make any easier then this,then get genuine cd of someone or get friend to show you how to install OS which you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Download windows and just throw it on a USB stick and boot with that with just the ssd installed, people still use cd's these days?

• Advertisement

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/burn-a-cd-on-windows follow this from the start to the end,will be your first step.cant make any easier then this,then get genuine cd of someone or get friend to show you how to install OS which you want.

got it. it very different than windows

can i do two boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

how did you format it in the first place if it says not bootable :confused:oh and why would you format ssd ?

Sorry,
    Why would you not format an SSD?
    Windows needs a Hard drive to be formatted before it can be installed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Can people stop giving bad advise? He wants Windows, and is clearly having trouble installing it, why in the hell would you direct him to an even more unfriendly OS?

Download whatever version of Windows you have a key for from here. (It can be either 32-bit or 64, but I would really recommend 64-bit.)

Burn the ISO file to a blank DVD using ImgBurn.

Restart, and in your BIOS, change your first boot device to your DVD drive, if it isn't already.

Make sure to only have the SSD in the machine when installing Windows. You can plug any other hard drives in later.

From there, install Windows like any other application, and you're good to go. If you need to, you can format the SSD again from the Windows installer.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Can people stop giving bad advise? He wants Windows, and is clearly having trouble installing it, why in the hell would you direct him to an even more unfriendly OS?

Download whatever version of Windows you have a key for from here. (It can be either 32-bit or 64, but I would really recommend 64-bit.)

Burn the ISO file to a blank DVD using ImgBurn.

Restart, and in your BIOS, change your first boot device to your DVD drive, if it isn't already.

Make sure to only have the SSD in the machine when installing Windows. You can plug any other hard drives in later.

From there, install Windows like any other application, and you're good to go. If you need to, you can format the SSD again from the Windows installer.

the link of windows not working ?!

yeah i like windows than ubuntu

Works fine for me...

there said 404 not found!

"
    Not Found

The requested URL /data/Windows7Ultimate32bit.iso was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 SVN/1.5.4 PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.6 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_wsgi/2.3 Python/2.6.2 Server at 174.129.85.117 Port 80

"
    Windows7Ultimate32bit.iso

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is it ultimate that you have the key for?
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

You can also put into USB instead of DVD. Microsoft have a tool for it. I think I linked to it my windows guide but I can give it to you if you want it.

I'd also really recommend a 64-bit image, not 32.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

There's another link to all the images, and those work.

thanks lads,

I just downloadin the iso file

yeah i have windows ultimate x86 product key :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It doesn't matter if you have the x86 (32-bit) key, you can still use the 64-bit edition.

Advertisement