Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC ping time issues

• 14-05-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    Wondering if someone can help here. I got the 50mb UPC Internet but I seems to be getting weird ping times on speedtest.net. I'm physically in blanchardstown/clonee area so I'm closest to the Dublin servers. Yet my wired desktop connection showed a ping time of 50 ms for Dublin. More intriguing is that ping time to Dundalk servers is 22ms instead. Download/upload speeds are ok. Practical wise most of my web use is fine bar online gaming when it is laggy between 9-12 at night.
    Any ideas if these ping times are alright? Would calling UPC help at all?

Regards
    Gecko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Speedtest.net sucks as a reliable test, it's approximate and it's results are unreliable, especially for ping.
    The game servers that you're connecting to, where are they located, and what are the ping times for those?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

I connect to Xbox live mainly. I don't know the ping time to XBL and my online experience is mainly gauged by how choppy the gameplay is and whether people complain to me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

And is the xBox connected via wireless or ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

Xbox via ethernet. I think my UPC seems to slow down very significantly during the evenings from 50mb down to like 10mb. Is that the norm?

Advertisement