Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suit sleeve length alteration?

• 14-05-2012 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello! I'm 17 years of age and just bought my first suit for my secondary school graduation. :)
    I paid a reasonable amount of it but money's tight and I got the best fit I could off the rack. I'm wondering is it possible / how much would it be to get the sleeves hemmed by half an inch to an inch. It's not crucial but I'd prefer a bit more shirt showing and I currently feel the suit sleeves look too long.

I've read from many sources there's no 'proper' suit sleeve length only a range but mine are at the wrong end of the range for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Definitely possible - as long as the sleeves don't have working buttons on them, that's the only thing that can add difficulty to shortening a suit jacket sleeve, sometimes meaning they've to be shortened from the shoulder, a much more difficult and expensive job. Most suits just have decorative buttons on the sleeve - you'll know if you look at it. So a simple enough job - I'd be expecting it to come in at around the 15 euro mark, be very surprised if it was more than 20 anyway.

Also you've gone the right route - a reasonably priced suit that fits you well, and you're willing to get altered to achieve a good fit will look so much better than a far more expensive suit that doesn't. Rule of thumb seems to be that about half an inch of cuff should show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Where are you based? I can recommend a seamstress i went to last week who was brilliant in Blanchardstown village. I needed the split in a dress sewn up. I walked in and out in less than 5minutes and only cost €2...delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Are there buttons on the sleeves? This can make this alteration quite difficult.

Also the alteration can be difficult if there is a vent in the sleeve. So make sure you get loads of advice on where to go from people in your local area. I know places in Dublin so if you want to know them, just ask. :)

Advertisement