Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling emotional departing Ireland.

• 15-05-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Does anyone ever feel sad and upset when the plane leaves the runway and up into the sky over Ireland as you fly off to your destination.

Some strange reason but it gets me every time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No.

I cry when I have to come home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Considering the only time I get on a plane is to see my girlfriend, who currently lives overseas, I'm not even slightly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Not really.
    If I'm going somewhere sunny then not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No.

I cry when I have to come home!
    This, for sure. Sadly, it has been many a year since I've been abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

teednab-el wrote: »
    Does anyone ever feel sad and upset when the plane leaves the runway and up into the sky over Ireland as you fly off to your destination.

Only caus of the lack of leg room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Yeah, I must say I do feel a sense of panic when the tarmac turns into a big patchwork of fields and I know I won't be back for quite a while :/

That said, I do look forward to getting out of here and experiencing something different.

Where'd that American who was obsessed with Irish redheads go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Don't think so, maybe a sense of relief and optimism that somewhere else things are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nope, not at all. 15 mins on Dublin roads the last time I was at home was enough to drive me to tears though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

in fairness Ryanair is enough to make anyone cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Last time I moved back to Ireland from living abroad I cried on the 10 flight home. At least it deterred the guy next to me from chat anyway.

Next time I go back to Ireland will be for Christmas, so probably won't be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Nope, getting away from Ireland and the people in it fills me with an unparalleled joy. Safe to say, returning from a trip abroad is absolutely devastating.

Oh well, hopefully in the not too distant future it'll be a one way ticket out of the kip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Leaving the old damp sod... no not at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Only if I'm stuck in the middle seat between two salad dodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Nope, always happy to leave, and always happy to return too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

you should be doing back flips of happiness leavin this rainy miserable corrupt depressing water charging hole of a country , the only tears you should have a those of sheer bliss .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

you should be doing back flips of happiness leavin this rainy miserable corrupt depressing water charging hole of a country , the only tears you should have a those of sheer bliss .

Do you live in Ireland?
    If you hate the place so much why don't you leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Pretty sure that just about every country charges for water.

When I lived abroad it used to annoy the hell out of me the a lot of holidays were spent coming back to Ireland. I like Ireland, I liked the countries I lived in, just didn't like coming back for holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There's something pretty spineless about living somewhere you detest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I cried recently on the way to the airport, I was coming home to Ireland however. Within minutes of deplaning in Dublin I had been insulted and it was raining! Of all the the godforsaken countries to be born into!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

stovelid wrote: »

Somalia? Sudan? Tyrellstown? Gosfort?

A lot of people don't have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Considering the only time I get on a plane is to see my girlfriend, who currently lives overseas, I'm not even slightly sad.

Do you swim back afterwards?

humberklog wrote: »
    A lot of people don't have a choice.

I'm betting a lot of people on this forum do.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Or a lack of funds to relocate.

I'm betting a lot of people on this forum do.
    Based on ...?

I thought 50% of the population here couldn't even afford a €100 household charge, so how are the same people supposed to afford to leave?

Or a lack of funds to relocate.

Sell.your laptop and cancel your broadband bills for a start. That way you save for a plane ticket and we don't hear your whining.

Sell.your laptop and cancel your broadband bills for a start. That way you save for a plane ticket and we don't hear your whining.
    I can't leave until kid is old enough to settle down by herself, college next year and plans to move in with her bf the year after that. She knows I will be leaving when the time is right.

Posts like this are precisely the reason why most normal people avoid this forum.

• Advertisement

I thought 50% of the population here couldn't even afford a €100 household charge, so how are the same people supposed to afford to leave?

Not my.problem. I'm not the one who wants to leave. Save. Sell things. Put the same effort into it that they do into whining on internet forums.

Especially about the rain, it seems. You'd think they'd be used to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm leaving Ireland for the UK in August by myself and it is filling me with a good deal of sadness. I love Ireland but I want to make a life for myself and I am not able to do that here at the minute.

I always felt I would go at some stage to live abroad but the fact it was forced upon due to circumstance makes the depart more sentimental to me :o

I'm taking in everything Irish for the next three months and enjoying it to the max. Friends, family, local haunts because I know wants I am gone i will crave these things and I don't want to regret not spending as much time as I can with them before I leave.

(And I know Ireland is very near the UK and I can pop over back home whenever, it's the emotional detachment from the place that will get to me)

Excited about leaving all the same, new journey.

HazDanz wrote: »
    I'm leaving Ireland for the UK in August by myself and it is filling me with a good deal of sadness. I love Ireland but I want to make a life for myself and I am not able to do that here at the minute.

I always felt I would go at some stage to live abroad but the fact it was forced upon due to circumstance makes the depart more sentimental to me :o

I'm taking in everything Irish for the next three months and enjoying it to the max. Friends, family, local haunts because I know wants I am gone i will crave these things and I don't want to regret not spending as much time as I can with them before I leave.

(And I know Ireland is very near the UK and I can pop over back home whenever, it's the emotional detachment from the place that will get to me)

I left in 96 (with 2 year old) and discovered my father had cancer the same year so I came back home and he passed away the following year. I made my home here since and am unable to leave as schooling and parenting was a priority. I hate when people say why don't you just leave if you don't like it. I'm only here because I have to be.

Posts like this are precisely the reason why most normal people avoid this forum.

Hopefully that's a statement of intent.

Babybuff wrote: »
    I left in 96 (with 2 year old) and discovered my father had cancer the same year so I came back home and he passed away the following year. I made my home here since and am unable to leave as schooling and parenting was a priority. I hate when people say why don't you just leave if you don't like it. I'm only here because I have to be.

Sorry to hear about your father.
    I think that the child benefit get extended if your kid stays in college/school. I think it used to be to 19. That might have changed with the cutbacks.
    You know what's mental. I just looked up details on the age limits for single mother payments and they currently continue until the child is 18. But by 2015 that's dropping to 7! That's a mental drop. Could a single mother just sign on instead....it might be difficult to prove she is looking for work if she is minding the kid? I'm genuinely interested if anyone knows the answer. It seems like a fierce change.

Ryanair doesn't cost too much. If you are lucky enough to have lots of baggage, the ferry ain't too bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

HazDanz wrote: »

Its not too bad once you get over the initial change. Going home really is ridiculously easy too! I live in london for university and it takes me less time to get back to Northern Ireland than it does for many English (and one Welsh) friends at uni to travel home. :o

As for the OP, when on a plane I'm usually more interested on what food is to be served and which films are available depending on the length of the flight.

yore wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your father.
    I think that the child benefit get extended if your kid stays in college/school. I think it used to be to 19. That might have changed with the cutbacks.
    You know what's mental. I just looked up details on the age limits for single mother payments and they currently continue until the child is 18. But by 2015 that's dropping to 7! That's a mental drop. Could a single mother just sign on instead....it might be difficult to prove she is looking for work if she is minding the kid? I'm genuinely interested if anyone knows the answer. It seems like a fierce change.
    I think so, I'm not sure. I've always worked to some degree or another but as soon as she is financially independant then I will feel better. The house is hers and all that's in it so I don't have to worry about her having somewhere to live and I'm just hoping she sees sense in spending the next few years in college. Ill never be far away however it works

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

I don't really get emotional leaving, I'd generally be just excited about whatever trip I'm going on, love coming back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

teednab-el wrote: »

Some strange reason but it gets me every time.

No, it never bothers me. I just say "So long suckers" in my best Homer Simpson voice.

/Haven't been out of the country in 4 years...
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    Only caus of the lack of leg room.

Keith, hint: Use something other that ryanair.com to book your flights. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I usually get a lump in my throat we when turn left at Claregalway.

• Advertisement

wyndham wrote: »
    I usually get a lump in my throat we when turn left at Claregalway.

Did your aul fella leave you to Shannon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Mickey H wrote: »
    Did your aul fella leave you to Shannon?

Travelling with just my thoughts and dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Not at all it puts me in bad form for about a week before i have to go back there just thinking about it.... Had to go back in march for 6 days to re-new my visa and say a quick hello to my parents:) but jesus i could not wait to get out of the place... and the bloody fecking cold of it in bed at night with all my cloths on heating on and still shivering couldnt sleep:eek:

I can definatly say my favourite place in ireland is the departures lounge in dublin airport!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yep. I won't be in Ireland for almost a year from June onwards, and I feel excited if a little sad. Upping and leaving a community, leaving friends and family behind, going to a place where you have to fit in all over again are all daunting things. I'll miss the sense of humour here and the feeling of belonging. People are very cynical about Ireland, especially on here which I find pretty sad, but I feel like I belong here so it's difficult to just up and leave. I want to see different parts of the world though and I am excited about that, but certainly I have an emotional attachment to this country that I probably won't ever lose. Ireland's my home.

wyndham wrote: »
    Travelling with just my thoughts and dreams.

Classic. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Funny, I just felt like playing tetris.

Waiting for boats in shìtty terminals with no other option does that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Linkus

I find it depressing that people need to leave the country because it's tough to make a living here.

Sure you can say that we're better off than some african country but it's all relative. If I was in the middle of a war, I would be relieved to be alive and not care about sitting in a pile of dog****. If I was walking down a street on the way to the office, I would be pissed off to stand in dog****.

I like Ireland. It's got a hell of a lot going for it.
    The big thing dragging it down though is funnily enough the thing most dependent on people - the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Linkus wrote: »
    I find it depressing that people need to leave the country because it's tough to make a living here.

it's not that hard to make a living in ireland, there's just a threshold that it's almost impossible to break in terms of a certain level in most industries. the lack of money in the economy means that anyone with aspirations of being more than a moderately paid grunt needs to leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

No. Irish people are a load of moany bastards.

"Oh, I'm emigrating. I think I'll write a poem"

"Oh, the Vikings invaded. I think I'll call it Limerick"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement