Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling emotional departing Ireland.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have anytime im taking a ferry and looking out at the cathedral in cobh which would have been the last thing of Ireland most famine era emigrants saw leaving Ireland.
    Getting a plane - not at all, Im too busy making sure I get my fair share of the arm rests..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

<Insert Austerity Rant here>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lord no, i love getting on a plane and getting out of this wet miserable hole to somewhere thats not here. Its the coming home part i hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ManCityChamps

CJC999 wrote: »
    Lord no, i love getting on a plane and getting out of this wet miserable hole to somewhere thats not here. Its the coming home part i hate.

I like coming into the wet miserable hole of Irish women though, other than that I'd prefer to be elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

teednab-el wrote: »
    Does anyone ever feel sad and upset when the plane leaves the runway and up into the sky over Ireland as you fly off to your destination.

Some strange reason but it gets me every time.

es, when i remember i'm flying with Ryanair and the landing is going to be its typical hairaiser. BAD-DOOOSH-SWERVE-SQUEAAAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I have anytime im taking a ferry and looking out at the cathedral in cobh which would have been the last thing of Ireland most famine era emigrants saw leaving Ireland.
    Getting a plane - not at all, Im too busy making sure I get my fair share of the arm rests..

A very important and strategic battle.

When otehr peson looks away, even for a moment, you must seize as much territory as you can, else be his bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Does anyone ever feel sad and upset when the plane leaves the runway and up into the sky over Ireland as you fly off to your destination.

No - this kunt-tree is the pits.

I'm only sorry that when I am departing that I can't take a dump out the window of the plane coz that's what I think of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Last time I moved back to Ireland from living abroad I cried on the 10 flight home. At least it deterred the guy next to me from chat anyway.

Next time I go back to Ireland will be for Christmas, so probably won't be too bad.

Christ you must really have issues with your home country. I live abroad but miss the old sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not at all - Im to ecstatic at the thought of two whole weeks without being fleeced and screwed over from morning till night.

I cry when I return tho.

• Advertisement

IrishKev wrote: »
    Do you live in Ireland?
    If you hate the place so much why don't you leave?

ah, this little nugget of a post - knew it would pop up somewhere. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I always feel sad when I have to leave Ireland for a prolonged period.
    Because it is home, it is where the people I hold most dear are.
    No matter what part of the world I am in, it can be great but it will never be home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nope, getting away from Ireland and the people in it fills me with an unparalleled joy. Safe to say, returning from a trip abroad is absolutely devastating.

Oh well, hopefully in the not too distant future it'll be a one way ticket out of the kip :)
    YOU'RE a person in it. That attitude of "Everyone else is a gimp but I'm not, even though I'm part of the same group" is amusing in its arrogance, naïveté and lack of self awareness.

A lot of the time, people just say "Ireland is a sh1t-hole wah wah wah" because it's "the thing to say". They wouldn't actually leave their comfort zone in a fit, and would piss their pants if in a country that wasn't so cushy.

IrishKev wrote: »
    Do you live in Ireland?
    If you hate the place so much why don't you leave?

why should anyone merely put up and shut up
    bollox to that if nobody strives for better things the country will never improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭ronjo

I am flying back to Ireland next week for a few days and I am sad that I am not actually looking forward to it.
    It will be great to see family and friends but I will be happy to be back here.

Don't travel hungover OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

not at all - Im to ecstatic at the thought of two whole weeks without being fleeced and screwed over from morning till night.

Yeah, cos no other country does that to its people... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was a bit sad getting on the plan but it changed pretty quick when two ginger cultchies across the aisle from me start talkin' absolute crap to the Mexican girl beside them. Then it got worse after they had a few beers on them. I was kind of numb to the whole thing leaving. I was burned out with Galway and needed to get away for a while for personal reasons. My job was great back home.

I'm now in the position where, I miss it from time to time. But not as much as I thought I would. The big difference between myself and everyone else I know that emigrated is that I went to a place with very few Irish people and I didn't know anybody here. I travelled alone for a new job.

The test will be when I go back to visit my brothers baby around November or December. Will I be happy to be back there and sad when I have to leave again. If I am, I think I'll move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ChubbyRunner

I moved here from the states 10 days ago. I have been here before and have always loved it but I think my heart broke getting on that plane so I understand how you all feel. Feeling really homesick and totally out of my depth right now and just finding my feet. My kids of course are acting like they were born and raised here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

As someone who lives overseas and is only home once a year, yeah, it makes me feel sad. I look at it below me for as long as I can because who knows, it might be the last time I ever see the country I grew up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Considering the only time I get on a plane is to see my girlfriend, who currently lives overseas, I'm not even slightly sad.

I'm in a similar situation - only have 3 reasons for ever being in the airport

1. Either flying over 3000km to see all of my family in Russia or going to the airport to pick said family members up

2. flying 1600km north to see my on-off boyfriend or picking him up

the third, lesser reason - going away on holidays purely to get away from Ireland :D

in fact I'm usually delighted to be getting on a plane that is leaving Ireland for whatever reason and unbearably depressed when I'm on a plane returning to Ireland "Oh god I'm going back soo far away from my boyfriend/my family/the sun, I don't know how long it'll be before I see him/them/it again!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I use to feel a wee bit emotional when younger on leaving but I'm out of the place so long now ,I don't feel any of that at all and now it's just another 30 minute flight on a plane travelling from one city to another .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yup. It gets me.

I'm usually flying back to the US.

On the flipside its always an incredible feeling arriving back again and seeing the first glimpse of green fields through the clouds(!).

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Depends on how long I'll be gone. I know what you mean though OP.

What really gets me at times is the flood of emotion arriving BACK in the country after a long/really awful time abroad, particularly if you've been somewhere very culturally different. There have been trips away when I have nearly got off the plane in Dublin Airport and kissed the runway. Probably my Pope complex again, but you are thinking 'Thanks be to f&ck I am back in this country, where I understand and am understood, where we do actually have a sense of humour, do not treat women like cr&p, the weather suits my skin and the food isn't all, entirely, sh*te'.

Coming home is the best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I've been living away from Ireland for a couple of years now and I miss the place from time to time. Then I read all the threads in After Hours about how shit Ireland is and I don't feel so bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

humberklog wrote: »
    Pretty sure that just about every country charges for water.

When I lived abroad it used to annoy the hell out of me the a lot of holidays were spent coming back to Ireland. I like Ireland, I liked the countries I lived in, just didn't like coming back for holidays.

That's weird. We've water charges in Germany but it doesn't really make such a huge difference. If anything my rent is a lot cheaper.

I felt emotional leaving Dublin when I moved. I'd had a life there for the last two years. Went back to the town I spent prior ten years of my life in for a week before leaving, was a relief to get out for there for good!

I felt a bit nervous about my decision to throw away the job and that but I was never sad.. Nothing to do with the country, just wanted to travel. 20 months away now and haven't had the desire to visit home. Opportunity costs and all that.

I tend to hyperventilate. I'm not the biggest fan of flying! I'm grand once the plane levels off though. But nope, never get upset leaving. Always get a little lump in my throat walking into the arrivals lounge on the way home tough :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

People who constantly moan about the country and how ****ty it is know no better, they think every country is great until they go there and realise it's no different to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

hondasam wrote: »
    People who constantly moan about the country and how ****ty it is know no better, they think every country is great until they go there and realise it's no different to Ireland.

Let's clarify to see if I understood you correctly before I tear into you: You're claiming every other country in the world is the exact same as Ireland?

Have you even travelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Just flew back this evening from visiting Dublin for the weekend and back "home" now in Madrid. Officially the worst feeling in the world. Love the place. But once I get back here and settle back in to things, I´m okay but I do feel depressed when I go. I suppose it´d be different if I hated the place but I really don´t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow morning.

I can't imagine I'll be feeling sad at any time over the journey!

loalae wrote: »
    I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow morning.
    '' Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair '''

I do enjoy the buzz of returning home to Dublin for a few days because I know I'll catch up here and there with family and friends spread around the city.

Let's clarify to see if I understood you correctly before I tear into you: You're claiming every other country in the world is the exact same as Ireland?

Have you even travelled?

Knock yourself out, I love to read a good rant.

Nobody should ever complain? There is alot to complain about in Ireland at the moment. If nobody complained things would never improve and we would get endlessly saddled with debt and political corruption would go unchecked.
    All because you would rather stick your fingers in your ears

i don't know where you get that idea from - in fact I would imagine it is people who have lived in other countries and have returned here that realises what a banana republic this place is, and can see the vast difference between here and other countries. :rolleyes:

i don't know where you get that idea from - in fact I would imagine it is people who have lived in other countries and have returned here that realises what a banana republic this place is, and can see the vast difference between here and other countries. :rolleyes:

I think the point is that people here tend to act like every other country in the world is so much better, with no problems to speak of. The whole "grass is always greener" idea that so many Irish people seem to naively believe in. Take the "new world", the US - huge disparities between rich and poor, anyone and everyone can own a gun, insurmountable third level education fees, crime rates through the roof, an attitude that everyone gets what they deserve. Sure, there are loads of great things about the US, but it's just as foolish to pull the wool over your eyes and act like the rest of the world has it so much better than us. When you compare Ireland's stance on the above problems to the US, I'd much rather leave here permanently than there.

And that's just one example.

I think the point is that people here tend to act like every other country in the world is so much better, with no problems to speak of. The whole "grass is always greener" idea that so many Irish people seem to naively believe in. Take the "new world", the US - huge disparities between rich and poor, anyone and everyone can own a gun, insurmountable third level education fees, crime rates through the roof, an attitude that everyone gets what they deserve. Sure, there are loads of great things about the US, but it's just as foolish to pull the wool over your eyes and act like the rest of the world has it so much better than us. When you compare Ireland's stance on the above problems to the US, I'd much rather leave here permanently than there.

And that's just one example.

I moved to the US, my main reasons were because I wanted nicer weather, less of a drink culture and wanted to try working somewhere that I perceived was a bit tougher and thus would have more skilled workers.

All of these turned out true. Well bar the weather, I learned a bit about myself as to what weather I life, just because you thrive in the sun for a few weeks a year, doesn't mean it's great to live in!

I find myself missing Ireland for more selfish reasons mainly...like more paid holidays and less of a commute. Time has become more of a priority than money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hmFPBf-C8

I fell in love with Sally O'Brien a long time ago.

why did they return then? we have a nice country, sure it has it's problems same as every other country but it's still out country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

stovelid wrote: »
    There's something pretty spineless about living somewhere you detest.

To be fair, we are quite a spineless country.
    Look how our european overlords walk all over us.

On the OP's question, I love getting out of here but I love coming back too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You might benefit from being a bit tipsy on such occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

why don't you piss off out of the country so if you hate it so much

Jesus, nothing worse than self hating Irish who complain about how much of a **** hole they think the country is yet gladly stay here and do nothing about leaving

I love Ireland

I think it's always going to be a glass half full/empty situation for any Irish immigrant who has lived abroad for a long period in one or several countrys and adapted to that countrys culture /way of life but will be taken to task by others for doing so ie'' well if you like it so much stay there '' or '' there's a boat /plane waiting for you ''. Economic downturn reasons aside,Irish people will leave Ireland for all kinds of reasons including personell situations ,just like any people from any country and emotions and feeling do come into it a lot .It's how the individual deals and comes to terms with it in 'different surroundings ' that's important .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Felt a bit emotional after coming back from a years travelling.

That quickly evaporated when confronted with a sour-faced crone checking my baggage for food and drink items.
    Not so much as a 'please' or 'thank you' or pleasant manner. This is the first impression our tourists get I guess.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I moved to the US, my main reasons were because I wanted nicer weather, less of a drink culture and wanted to try working somewhere that I perceived was a bit tougher and thus would have more skilled workers.

All of these turned out true. Well bar the weather, I learned a bit about myself as to what weather I life, just because you thrive in the sun for a few weeks a year, doesn't mean it's great to live in!

I find myself missing Ireland for more selfish reasons mainly...like more paid holidays and less of a commute. Time has become more of a priority than money..

I'm going to the US in June too mainly to meet up with family I've never met before and old friends that studied in Ireland last year, and to do something a bit challenging and scary (going alone!). I'm excited, but I know I'll miss Ireland, and it'll be hard to be away from the people I know and feel comfortable with, but that's part of the point of the whole thing. I hope to gain more independence from the whole experience! I know I'll be excited to come back at the end of it all though.

• Advertisement

I'm going to the US in June too mainly to meet up with family I've never met before and old friends that studied in Ireland last year, and to do something a bit challenging and scary (going alone!). I'm excited, but I know I'll miss Ireland, and it'll be hard to be away from the people I know and feel comfortable with, but that's part of the point of the whole thing. I hope to gain more independence from the whole experience! I know I'll be excited to come back at the end of it all though.

I'm going back to Ireland for a week in December to meet my new nephew, that will be my big test, will I feel happy to be home or not. If I don't then the writing is on the wall. I thought it would be harder being alone over here. One thing that's kind of crappy is the fact everyone I work with is at least 10 years older than me. I hang out with a couple of them outside of work, one is 64 and the other guy is in his 50's. Nice people and all but they are pretty restricted in what they'll do.

Also beware of the stealth expenses!!! If you are going to a place where you need a car you should beware used cars have never cost more over here thanks to cash for clunkers taking affordable used cars off the market and pushing up the price of what's left.

If you are living alone and want a tv, internet, electricity!!, water etc. You'll have to pay out the ass for getting them setup because they'll want a security deposit since you won't have a line of credit there yet. Bring a decent amount of cash, I wanred my bank that I was moving and to ensure my card doesn't get locked...they locked it three times. Twice I was left without money for nearly 2 days each time because I took the advise of a lady in the bank and put the majority of my money on a card because it would be comission free. Complete nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Guess I'm a bit long in the tooth and the tear ducts are slightly constricted but I've been coming and going for 45 years and as I leave I think about the next yearly holiday.
    Having said that I had a grand aunt that used to get emotionally upset when she went to the next parish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Obviously there's going to be a huge conflict in feelings if you're comparing financial situations, but thats not really the point.

I can still miss Ireland even if it is all the negative things people have expressed here.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement