Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hector Grey's

Options
  • 15-05-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about more info about Hector Grey, the colourful retailer who some say was Ali Hewson's grandfather.

Specifically, I heard recently that he had a warehouse that was set on fire back in the 1980s. I was told that it was located on what is now the Gables housing estate (built circa 1989) just off the Raheny end of Tonlegee Road, Dublin. Can anyone verify this?

Another source said the warehouse was where the Beeches estate is now in closeby Donaghmede and that there used to be a stream running through Millbrook which was filled in the early 1990s. Any info (on either the warehouse location or the fire) greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭wench

There is a good bit of info on the stream, and some on the fire, in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119367

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Raheny

Thanks! Interesting thread. Still unclear where Hector's warehouse was but it seems like the Gables development is plausible.

Can't believe that stream was culverted, and it's pretty shocking that those fine houses - especially the Kennedy's mansion - were bulldozed to make way for the Donaghies and Millbrook. Such contempt for our cultural heritage.
    wench wrote: »
    There is a good bit of info on the stream, and some on the fire, in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119367

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Just came across this when looking for something else...funny, I know nothing about he area, but I do remember when this fire happened - I am pretty sure as a child I got damaged stuff from this warehouse. (In fact until now I always believed it was the shop that went on fire.) I grew up in Clare but my dad was from up there and used to go up a lot in those days. Hector Grey's was a household name with us, and my dad knew Dublin like the back of his hand in those days, so I'd bet anything he could pinpoint the warehouse. I'm surprised it's hard to find out, but I'll ask him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Raheny wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to find out about more info about Hector Grey, the colourful retailer who some say was Ali Hewson's grandfather.

Urban myth and I was friends with one of the sons . Nice people.
    The article also mistakenly stated that Ali Hewson is the grand-daughter of Hector Grey.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0922/1224279435243.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Hector Grey's son used to come into the coffee shop where I worked, a very nice man he was too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Hector Grey is an important part of Dublin's retail and social history. The man was a genius in very austere times. Without him many of Dublin's kids wouldn't have had or known a Christmas to celebrate.

As a kid I used to love just to look into the jammed window display of tons of stuff - a very bright spot in the city. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Raheny wrote: »
    Hi,

Specifically, I heard recently that he had a warehouse that was set on fire back in the 1980s. I was told that it was located on what is now the Gables housing estate (built circa 1989) just off the Raheny end of Tonlegee Road, Dublin. Can anyone verify this?

Another source said the warehouse was where the Beeches estate is now in closeby Donaghmede and that there used to be a stream running through Millbrook which was filled in the early 1990s. Any info (on either the warehouse location or the fire) greatly appreciated.

The warehouse was located not far from Hector's House in the grounds.

the stream is long culverted (The Donagh water) and the lands of Hector's house are now the Beeches estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Found it for you in Irish Newspaper Archives:

Irish Press, Wednesday, September 19, 1979

"Detectives are convinced that arsonists were responsible for the fire which destroyed about £400,000 worth of stock destined for the Christmas trade in a warehouse at the Dublin home of Hector Grey early yesterday.

Gardai believed that a gang broke into the store at The Beeches, Grange Road, Raheny, as Mr. Grey (76) slept in his adjoining home……."

I recommend getting access to the newspapers in Irish Newspaper Archives - he was a very interesting man and had a great relationship with his customers. I read that he used to pay the parking charges for his customers too!
    You can see him on this Youtube video. I believe he also may have been on the Late Late at some stage. RTE may have the archive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3DTg60XDA

There must be lots more stories to uncover.

His real name was Alexander Scott :)

He worked on the principle that buy importing huge quantities off goods from china he could keep buying costs down and sell items very cheaply.

Legend has it his first big coup was purchasing blocks of salt water damged soap that was nearly worthless and marketing it as "magic soap" for cleaning floors and doorsteps.

Bill Cullen's A long way from penny apples mentions Scott briefly,he was a shrewd operator but a gentleman and a character...a legend in Dublin even in the 60's.

Seemingly he disliked the work 'cheap' and preferred the word 'inexpensive' instead! :D A bit like Del-boy, a likeable rascal with a big heart. I never met the man but his name is chiselled into the back of my brain as my mother often shopped there. And Santy often called there too before he got to us! :)

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Seemingly he disliked the work 'cheap' and preferred the word 'inexpensive' instead! :D A bit like Del-boy, a likeable rascal with a big heart. I never met the man but his name is chiselled into the back of my brain as my mother often shopped there. And Santy often called there too before he got to us! :)

He was a shrewd man.

Hi apparantly got stung with a load of plastic naked dolls of some sort...sold a bunch of them to a young Bill Cullen whose sister sat up all night stitching dresses for them.

They appeared on the streets a day or two later as Greta garbo dolls....when Hector realised Bill was making a few bob he upped the price slightly...not to be greedy but to make his "10%" margin and teach the young chissler the art of Supply And Demand :)

Hector would have some words of wisdom for us today I'm sure!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hector would have some words of wisdom for us today I'm sure!

I'm sure he would...and if there were more people with his acumen and as he would say "leeyaroidi" the country would probably be even a little bit better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Loadsa memories of calling into Hector Greys with my Mam. She used to buy me boxes of oil crayons, they were brilliant. I remember herself and my aunt buying battery operated bicycle sirens for my cousin and myself. You could change the sound they made. Hours of fun were had flying around on our bikes sounding like anything from the NYC PD to the Luftewaffe.
    They looked something like this

battery-operated-sirens-250x250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not sure how I ended up in here exactly. Noticed something missing on liffey street the other day. Sure enough it was hector grays. Remember noticing the van parked at the woolen mills of a sunday when I worked in the city. Found it a little weird that he had his stall going on of a sunday, with his shop only around the corner shut. I remember the shop as a bit of bric-a-brac affair. You never knew what you find in there. I believe one day I was in there they had box of fountain pen knib for a £1 a box with a gross(144 pieces) I had no need for such a thing but it's what I remember seeing in there.

I vagely recall the shop having these:
    306749.jpg

And me always wanting one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I remember him standing on a chair one morning in Liffey St trying to sell some household article. He said "The same article is for sale in a shop in O Connell St for £5 more. I wont name the shop but the initials are B.H.S."

Advertisement