Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibram FiveFingers

Comments

some say fad, some say good.
    if you are set on them you need to transition to them slowly as you'll feel all of the surface that you run on.
    many who have tried them have moved back to more conventional runners.
    a light runner with low heel-to-toe difference (saucony kinvara mabye) or mimimalist runner (new balance minimus or similar) might suit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ya i think they are good but they will take time to adjust and can lead to injury if you're not careful. Do not put them on and go and run 5 miles first day as you could really hurt yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

Heres my tuppence worth anyway..Having tried every traditional shoe out there, numerous gait analysis, orthotics, physio visits and even a running coach and I had completely given up on running due to the amount and degree of injuries I had sustained. Everywhere I went I was told my biomechanics just didn't give way to running.
    I must admit it was a total 'Hail Mary' when I saw these things but decided to give the five fingers a lash about 2 years ago. The transition into them has got to be taken very very slowly as the other lads have mentioned but it has definitely been worth it for me. In my opinion, my unorthodox biomechanics have been sort of re-conditioned and I have adapted a new type of running style which has resulted in zero injuries. They have taught me/forced me to find a way of running that was pain free.
    I don't run in anything else anymore and have never run as much. I'm running the Portumna 50k in 4 weeks, then 2 weeks later the Waterford Marathon and 7 weeks after that, the Dingle 50 miler - All in Vibrams... And I have committed to a 100 miler next year in them.
    Not sure if they are for everyone but for me they are the only way I can continue doing what I love... Hope that helps..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Insane1 wrote: »
    I'm running the Portumna 50k in 4 weeks

Must keep an eye out for a chap in Vibrams during the 50km on the 16th then :pac: Me on the other hand, I'll be running it in a pair of Mizuno's with a hole in each one that really badly need to be replaced very very soon.

Anyway, my 2c on the Vibrams, bought a pair last year and I believe the longest distance I've ever done in them is around 6km to date and thats been on a grass pitch.

From my very limited use of them I can see that you def need to start off slow because if you overdo it too soon you will really feel it and you'll cripple yourself very easily.

Without a doubt you run with a different gait and I think they have had a positive impact on my running in general (once my muscle's got over the initial shock factor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Insane1 wrote: »
    Heres my tuppence worth anyway..Having tried every traditional shoe out there, numerous gait analysis, orthotics, physio visits and even a running coach and I had completely given up on running due to the amount and degree of injuries I had sustained. Everywhere I went I was told my biomechanics just didn't give way to running.
    I must admit it was a total 'Hail Mary' when I saw these things but decided to give the five fingers a lash about 2 years ago. The transition into them has got to be taken very very slowly as the other lads have mentioned but it has definitely been worth it for me. In my opinion, my unorthodox biomechanics have been sort of re-conditioned and I have adapted a new type of running style which has resulted in zero injuries. They have taught me/forced me to find a way of running that was pain free.
    I don't run in anything else anymore and have never run as much. I'm running the Portumna 50k in 4 weeks, then 2 weeks later the Waterford Marathon and 7 weeks after that, the Dingle 50 miler - All in Vibrams... And I have committed to a 100 miler next year in them.
    Not sure if they are for everyone but for me they are the only way I can continue doing what I love... Hope that helps..

Couldn't agree more i bought them for the same reason injury . you really need to start off slow in them though to build up your calfs and feet once . still run in them highest i have run in them is 14k though mainly Mountain trails and forest tracks also a bit of road running .

They are good but you really have to do small amounts first instead of what my brother did and run 3 miles the first time wearing them followed by sprints to be crippled for 2 weeks after . Some people just don't listen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Have a pair but havent changed over really from traditional runners (my Mizuno)

WARNING : build up slow and short. like really slow and short. you will do damage if you try to do too much too soon.

Advertisement