Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oakey's Reading Log

Options
  • 15-05-2012 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I really love reading and after getting my Kindle at Christmas I found that I read a lot more than I used to. I love sites like Shelfari but I only ever think of looging on every few months where as I ue Boards daily.

Going to place up a few of my thoughts on books I've read since the new year and then carry on with the new books in my e-library :D

Although I have a love for books I have to say I'm terrible at explaining them so please bare with me and my reviews, they are more for my own self really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Finished (January 4th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY-ocOam-yBkxaE_lip-SF7IPzGLdfDmWMwOu7ah5aBhQ6ntj9

A book of Fairy Tales gathered by the Brothers Grimm

Thoughts
    I thought it as interesting, I liked seeing how the original fairy tales differed from the ones portrayed by Disney. Can't say I'd tell these ones to children though :) I couldn't pick a favorite as they were all eerie as eachother!

Finished (January 7th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRn7OETG30EjRChAnnbikUMbmkDhavDMf54umigOU6NsnROT2v

When the one ring to rule them all falls into the hands of Frodo, a simple hobbit. It falls to him to destroy it.

Thoughts
    Very captivating, even though it was a large book I flew through it because I enjoyed it so much. After watching the movie beforehand it as exciting discovering the new characters that had been left out as well as some of the story. Great piece of work.

Finished (January 9th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSHmx0uaibNvLY0r0Kw-MmAJjCD2Ny6sCnrP6VETxcylWJSDZqbg

One of the most extraordinary survival stories ever told — Aron Ralston's searing account of his six days trapped in one of the most remote spots in America, and how one inspired act of bravery brought him home.

Thoughts
    I've never been one for reading autobiographies but this was one of the best ones I have ever read. Again, I read it after I wartched the movie and I think this is really worth picking up because you miss so much of what's going on inside his head. Very inspirational.

Finished (May 17th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNwiup2LFlj2EYFfUetagQHaXkLkl4DxKTvAtfyAUCYksmrqrC

A collection of 36 love poems by James Joyce

Thoughts
    I wasn't really gone on the first few poems but found some of them to be beautiful, I admire James Joyce as a writer and it was a delight to read none the less.

Finished (May 19th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlLZk9g1m191A56--D1ccKXPPk5e5B9lNYN3SfdGqGQcGVQIFz

A boy who goes under the alias as Charlie shares his thoughts on life, through his eyes, by his letters written to an anonymous person.

Thoughts
    I think this would be a great book for teenagers to read in school, it touches on many different subjects (drugs, homosexuality, sex, suicide) I loved reading this book and could relate to the main character sometimes while reading it.

EDIT: Just found out a movie is coming out of this in September!

• Advertisement

Finished (May 26th 2012)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr5ecwjGZVArvMDNJm5utunvwku4YNAbZdtJED1RHtOuouOlhWUg

The novel is follows the life of Agnes Grey on her years of being a governess, her family and love interest.

Thoughts
    The novel is wrote as sort of a diary in the perspective of Agnes herself, she writes about many different things but mainly her accounts are through the years of being a governess. The book was wrote extremely well and shows how underestimated Anne Bronte was.

A must read for a Bronte fan.

Advertisement