Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Birthday Internet! (In Ireland anyway...)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Jogathon wrote: »
    1997 - and I still use my email address from then. Recently some IT guys I was dealing with commented that my email address must be ancient! No hyphens or underscores, just my name @yahoo.co.uk (before yahoo.ie existed!)

I managed to get my full name on my Gmail account by getting an invite on the first day it opened for beta testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Jogathon wrote: »
    1997 - and I still use my email address from then. Recently some IT guys I was dealing with commented that my email address must be ancient! No hyphens or underscores, just my name @yahoo.co.uk (before yahoo.ie existed!)

I still have my first e-mail address from 15 years ago. :) (It's hotmail, admittedly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

In UCD in the early 90s. Probably 1990 or 1991. I remember someone showing me satellite imagery from NASA or some European weather site. It really was amazing.

Prior to that the nearest thing was on the macs up in the back room in the Arts library - I'm pretty sure they were networked to something. There was an app called trickle which I thought was cool at the time - you could set up a list of files you wanted to download and they would "trickle" down to your account overnight when there was less demand for capacity. It meant you didn't have to sit there and wait for stuff to download. I don't know what I downloaded with trickle - I have a feeling it was Simpsons .WAVs. I used to have a great collection of them.

Other than that - I would have been online at home around Windows 95 release time. Had my own .ie domain registered since about 1997.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I wrecked my family's phone bill playing Team Fortress and Counter-Strike in 1999/2000. I also tried to pretend I was a DJ from Liverpool on Yahoo chat, my ruse was seen through fairly quickly. Also, who remembers Neoplanet? :D

Neoplanet and oceanfree.net. Oceanfree was an amazing chat room :)

Got a PC Christmas of 1998 and we loaded "the internet" onto it from a free cd, iol or similar, in 1999. It was all hotmail and chat rooms. Who knew we would end up having the world wide web literally in our hands just a short time later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I still have my first e-mail address from 15 years ago. :) (It's hotmail, admittedly).

So do I, set it up in 1996 tho I had to reactivate it around 2003 cos I'd not used it since I had left college!

I was a bit more posh than you tho, mine was Yahoo :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Got a PC Christmas of 1998 and we loaded "the internet" onto it from a free cd, iol or similar, in 1999. It was all hotmail and chat rooms. Who knew we would end up having the world wide web literally in our hands just a short time later!

I knew, for I knew ALL!*

may or may not be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Microsoft Comic Chat! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Back in 1986 (yes 1986) I had my first experience of the internet when I got my first email address. Along the lines of bdbus@vax1.tcd.ie.

We got a PC with dialup in the office in the mid 90's but I waited until 2000 to get a Y2K compliant ( :D ) Dell at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Back in 1986 (yes 1986) I had my first experience of the internet when I got my first email address. Along the lines of bdbus@vax1.tcd.ie.

We got a PC with dialup in the office in the mid 90's but I waited until 2000 to get a Y2K compliant ( :D ) Dell at home.

There was no need for the internet for me in 1986, I was only 7 (for most of it) and as far as I was concerned Masturbation was probably some sort of He-man character rather than a nice leisure activity :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Ben D Bus wrote: »

My first experience of the internet was similar to yours but a year later. In my case Imperial College London in 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It was around 1996. Windows 95 with internet explorer. Indigo was our ISP, AltaVista the search engine of choice. It was only about 2 years later when we got an ISDN line and Unreal Tournament came out, that's when I became addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

My dad got me the web pal around 2000, sent an email to the radio station that first night and my name was called out and they played the song I asked for. :eek: I had made it in this world. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we got dialup back in 1994 and it was a whopping 33.6k connection lol

back when windows 95 was in beta

my first computer ever was back in 1983 when dad brought home a sinclair spectrum zx 16k
    it was basically one step up from an abacus hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Lycos Chat, altavista, ICQ, custom IRC clients, anglefire web pages.
    Ah the web...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

reemember audiogalaxy, was the business, allowed resuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

1996 on IOL. I also remember being booted off Esat no-limits - never forgive never forget!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 TeresaDarling

I still have the iolfree address, I have taken pics of the original discs, a disc for everything and each took hours to load,I don't know how to add them on here

Somewhere I have a picture of the original modem, it weighed the same as a small elephant and was about the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Summer 1997. My mother used to work and leave us at home alone, and she'd have to keep ringing the house from her desk to knock off our internet because it was quite expensive and was tying up the house phone.

My best memory from this time was the dial-up symphony that the modem would make when you were connecting to the internet. I still play the entire sequence in my head:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Summer 1997. My mother used to work and leave us at home alone, and she'd have to keep ringing the house from her desk to knock off our internet because it was quite expensive and was tying up the house phone.

My best memory from this time was the dial-up symphony that the modem would make when you were connecting to the internet. I still play the entire sequence in my head:pac:

do you mean this tune?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cooliagh

Does any1 remember the Unison boxes that plugged into your telly & used the dial up connection to show the internet on your telly? I remember winning one in a competition & being delighted because it was my first internet experience at home. Was a reeeeaaaallllyyy slow connection & didn't show any pictures! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

omahaid wrote: »
    1996 on IOL. I also remember being booted off Esat no-limits - never forgive never forget!!!!!!!!!!!

I had that IOL No Limits package at home as well but escaped the cull because I was away a lot during the week and simply wasn't online. For those who aren't ancient enough to remember, it means that for a flat fee of twenty quid a month you could spend as much time as you wanted on the internet in the evenings and weekends. Except Esat/IOL moved the goalposts and terminated without warning the accounts of a load of their customers who they felt were online for too long :mad::mad:

Eircom certainly benefited from the early days of the internet because for quite a while there was no cheap way of going online during business hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ah ya, it was IOL No Limits, wasn't it. I also remember buying internet access in a box from IOL. £15 a month as I recall + phone costs got you access. I also remember setting up my first internal modem, hadn't a fucking clue what I was doing, I was 15 or 16 I think, miracle the thing worked at all. All I remember thinking was "WTF is an IRQ???"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Early 2002 I'd say by the time we got our first computer, spent years begging my parents for it, I lived on the computer in school while everyone else in my class had one. They got us one for Christmas, then getting the Internet was another battle. Manys an evening spent on the phone with eircom in india trying to find out why our bloody Internet wouldn't connect. Oh and we had some serious bills too!

Must have been around 2007- 2008 before we got broadband, it's hard to believe it wasn't that long ago, I can't remember life before broadband, iPhones etc. the screen age as I like to call it, those CRT monitors were a bitch though, still think they are the reason I am half blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

My Dad took about a year to get the internet 2004 ish, the library had the internet from 2002, I remember sitting there with Yahoo open not being able to think of anything to search, then when I got the hang of it I managed to read a whole heap of library books while waiting for each page to load, I was about 11 at the time but I'm glad of that I would of hated to be a young one on the internet with youtube, bebo, facebook and all that I could of really made a show of myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

1993 logging in from DCU to TCD and out on to the web or what it was back then.
    Then in DK RTC, needing to run winsock to get netscape to run on the network.

When I moved in my own place after college we had a TiNet account and I was playing on
    the Cloud Quake server back in 1997, have always had internet in the house from then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wish I could recall but it was around 1996/7, a 33.6k modem (I could have gone for the 28.8 but was wiling to spend the few extra bob) it would be about three years before I upgraded to a v90 56.6 (now you're cooking!) and I had that for flipping years such was the price of actual broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't remember exactly but it must be 15 years ago - I remember using it for the work I was doing, but having to go to somewhere in town if I wanted to upload large pieces of artwork. It was early enough that I got just my name@eircom.net for an email address (and a couple strange names of Yahoo addresses to hide behind! - which I have since dumped.)

Advertisement