Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD7850 or GTX560ti

Options
  • 15-05-2012 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Its that time again for me. My HD4870 has been a loyal companion but its becoming quite loud and unstable, so the time has come for an upgrade.

Lots of bouncing back and forth between forums about these cards.

The HD7850 seems to peg the GTX560ti in almost everything (with exception of BF3) which is what ill be playing once i upgrade.

Opinion boardsies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Its that time again for me. My HD4870 has been a loyal companion but its becoming quite loud and unstable, so the time has come for an upgrade.

Lots of bouncing back and forth between forums about these cards.

The HD7850 seems to peg the GTX560ti in almost everything (with exception of BF3) which is what ill be playing once i upgrade.

Opinion boardsies?
    7850 by far. It overclocks like a demon and it only needs one six-pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was looking at the stock overclock ones. They seem to overclock like a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Isn't the 660Ti supposed to be around 7850 speeds when it comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Isn't the 660Ti supposed to be around 7850 speeds when it comes out?

Probably. It'll be the same price anyway (according to this), but I doubt it will overclock as well as the epic 7850.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Was in the same situation as you about a month ago and went with a 7850. They truely overclock like a beast, about 10-15 fps higher than stock. I get a solid 60fps on skyrim.

• Advertisement

I'm seriously debating getting two of them for my rig, should be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd be mad to get a 560ti unless it was very cheap.

Go for the 7850 or wait for a 660.

Do you chaps have any prefrence for the 7850 cards?

The XFX Radeon HD 7850 Double Dissipation Edition seems to be the favorite for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iDementia

Vicxas wrote: »
    Do you chaps have any prefrence for the 7850 cards?

The XFX Radeon HD 7850 Double Dissipation Edition seems to be the favorite for people.

You can't go wrong with a Sapphire imo, but XFX is definitely a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

don't forget msi.....that's what i went with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

go with however's cheaper aslong as there non-reference which means avoid powercolor who only ever uses reference cards except for there oc'd ones

Honestly though, if I was you, I'd hold off for a bit. Mid-Range cards at the moment are extremely over-priced since nVidia doesn't have one out yet (still waiting for the GTX 660ti). The 7850 is a great card but you might be best to either wait for the 660 to come out where prices are more competitive or just get a 6850 to hold you over, OR just buy a GTX 670 because you know you want to!

iDementia wrote: »
    Honestly though, if I was you, I'd hold off for a bit. Mid-Range cards at the moment are extremely over-priced since nVidia doesn't have one out yet (still waiting for the GTX 660ti). The 7850 is a great card but you might be best to either wait for the 660 to come out where prices are more competitive or just get a 6850 to hold you over, OR just buy a GTX 670 because you know you want to!

Yeah I'm holding out for the 660ti to come out, 7870/7850 prices drop a bit/lot, and I'll probably get two MSIs.

Yeah I'm holding out for the 660ti to come out, 7870/7850 prices drop a bit/lot, and I'll probably get two MSIs.

Definitely the best plan imo, but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a semi-decent GPU to hold me over. I'm building a computer for my brother at the moment and will probably just stick a 6850 in it. I can't wait for the 660 forever :(

iDementia wrote: »
    Definitely the best plan imo, but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a semi-decent GPU to hold me over. I'm building a computer for my brother at the moment and will probably just stick a 6850 in it. I can't wait for the 660 forever :(

I don't have anything at all :pac:

Wanted to buy a PC with my pay at the end of the month, so what I'll probably do is go ahead and buy the components and one 7850, and get another toward the end of the summer at the reduced price.

I don't have anything at all :pac:

Wanted to buy a PC with my pay at the end of the month, so what I'll probably do is go ahead and buy the components and one 7850, and get another toward the end of the summer at the reduced price.

This is my problem, My 4870 is dying now. Cant really wait any longer :(

Update: Rumoured specs for the 660ti

"The Nvidia GeForce GTX660 Ti uses GK110 GPU at 850Mhz Clock Speed and 768 Shader Processors. The Nvidia GeForce GTX660 Ti uses 1.5GB of Memory at 5000Mhz Clock Speed on 384Bit Bus Width."

Doesnt seem ill be missing out on much

that's kind of disappointing if the 660ti only uses 1.5gb VRAM. That's fine for now but when you're spending 250 euro on a graphics card, you want it to last a long time.

If I had the money I'd definitely buy the GTX 670! But the 7850 is a great buy especially considering it's overclocking capabilities.

Advertisement